Any thoughts? - Good or Bad Experiences? - Advice requested (1 Viewer)

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Afternoon everyone

Just gone through the following Companies today for Ins quotes on our new van and narrowed it down to 2 (NFU & LV)
LV
C&MHC
Saga
A Plan
NFU
Comfort

Asked for the following on all quotes to make it LFL:
£400 Excess
Legal Cover - up to £100k
Personal Accident Cover - seems to be £15k is the norm?
Personal belongings - £1k (but our home ins also covers for 'away from home losses' - so we could use that instead of if more than £1k)
Windscreen Excess - it varies from £50 to £90

Didn't ask for :
Road side assistance / recovery as I believe (but need to check) that comes with the new Fiat Van?
If I do add it they are all very similar at between + £90 to £110 for the year so no big issue

So......

Of LV & NFU - both are cheaper than we were expecting (y)
So just want to know if anyone has any good or bad experiences worth noting with either (one of them is circa £30 a year cheaper for exactly the same cover - and seemed to be really helpful with the phone quotation) I won't say which in case it colours the replies ;)

Neither require a tracker to be fitted - I'm booked in for the VanBitz Growler alarm and stop go system to be fitted - so a tracker on top of that would have just been more expense and not really req

Or......
Am I missing a trick and should call someone else? (although I have to warn.... I am losing the will to live with going through all the details) :LOL:

Many thanks in advance for input from you good people (y) :cool:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You don't say what motorhome your getting but if it's an A class make sure you check windscreen cover amount 👍

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
NFU mutual has unlimited windscreen cover
And new for old replacement of vans upto 2 years old

from memory NFU offer 10% discount for a Thatcham approved alarm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
As above. I went through the same process and went for NFU and a VanBitz alarm. No tracker. Very pleasantly surprised by premium. My local NFU office are a pleasure to deal with.

OP
OP
Jon B

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all so far..... really very much appreciated (y) - and yup you are mirroring my thoughts so far, NFU were an absolute pleasure to deal with and slightly cheaper too so looks like I'll side with them -

Thanks for the heads up on Croatia though - might be an issue in the future but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

Jon B

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Have you tried Adrian Flux v helpful esp to converters.

Cheers James

OP
OP
Jon B

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Have you tried Adrian Flux v helpful esp to converters.

Cheers James
Thanks James, we were with Adrian Flux on our previous van - a T6 Conversion......

Should have put on my original posting that we did try them a few weeks back as a first port of call - we were at that time an existing Customer.....
So much more expensive than the other quotes on our Knaus Boxstar that I picked up today

Funniest one from a few weeks back was Direct Line.... Over £800! :LOL: :oops:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry about the side tracking.

I thought that I had insured my car via compare the market.com but they kept sending me quotes. Went on line to find that I hadn’t ticked a box so went through it all again changed from RAC they had upped the price so swopped to AA £80 cheaper. Saved £20 no excess😂😂👍🏼👍🏼

OP
OP
Jon B

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Many thanks for Everyone's help and input..... Gone with the NFU (y) :cool:

20 days till we get the Van..... (y)

Fiat.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Been with NFU for years , had front screen replaced on a big US RV , $$$$!!!! , they were as good as gold , couldn't have been more helpful . :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was looking at quotes to renew the Doblo insurance, was surprised at how many companies said you have to
(oops hit wrong button) OWN another vehicle and wouldn't insure as an only vehicle, would not accept joint ownership of the Laika, as It is not in my name, pointed out that name on V5 was not proof of ownership to no avail. need to read the small print in my renewal notice as it was the same price as the one who wanted me to have 2 vehicles. The electric bike didn't count either :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
No idea on insurance, after seeing your username can't get the song out of my head.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Another NFU from me. A great company to deal with. You made the right choice. If you have a nationwide bank account £13 a month. You get full Europe breakdown cover full family health insurance phone insurance and a bit more. 👍🥃😷

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
NFU are really cheap and don't insist on an alarm or tracker, so we went with them. Coverage seems good including windscreen, etc.

However, NFU has low contents insurance, and they don't offer breakdown.

OP
OP
Jon B

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Another NFU from me. A great company to deal with. You made the right choice. If you have a nationwide bank account £13 a month. You get full Europe breakdown cover full family health insurance phone insurance and a bit more. 👍🥃😷
Will definitely look into that (y)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Thanks James, we were with Adrian Flux on our previous van - a T6 Conversion......

Should have put on my original posting that we did try them a few weeks back as a first port of call - we were at that time an existing Customer.....
So much more expensive than the other quotes on our Knaus Boxstar that I picked up today

Funniest one from a few weeks back was Direct Line.... Over £800! :LOL: :oops:

That's because you were balancing out my risk!!!!

Cheers James

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I know you have made your decision and personally I would have done the same. I have found LV to be very good the first year but greedy at renewal with little or no wiggle room.

OP
OP
Jon B

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
I know you have made your decision and personally I would have done the same. I have found LV to be very good the first year but greedy at renewal with little or no wiggle room.
Thanks for the input, yes LV were very good on the phone and the quote was not too bad vs NFU - there wasn't a lot in it in the end and would have been happy (as you can be when paying ins) with either but NFU just had the edge for me

Be interesting to see what they are like at renewal time

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Something very strange has happened with our house insurance renewal premium this year with Aviva. It has just arrived and it’s gone down £70! I double checked that they hadn’t removed our electric bikes but no they’re still there. Very odd indeed. They don’t insure them under bikes but under valuable objects and they are covered when locked to the van which they class as an immovable object which is the obstacle on lots of policies. I don’t understand it but needless to say I’m not going to complain. Getting electric bike cover if you don’t keep them in a motorhome garage is a devil. Expensive normal bikes no problem at all but electric bikes are a mystery still. We’ve got a PVC so they’re on the back.

Insurance is a black art.

OP
OP
Jon B

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
As a retired insurance broker I can never understand why brokers up the premium at renewal in the hope no one will bother to shop around.- so easy nowadays.

In my business days we nurtured customer loyalty, call me old fashioned 🙄
You are so right - Seems to be the same now for most large companies, all about chasing new customers and ignoring loyal customers.

Worst example I had was I was tied into BT Broadband for work - was with them for 7 or so years - because work paid for the broadband I never really cared about the cost. I ended up taking early retirement and there was still one year to go on the contract - line rental and fibre broadband was £60 P/M!. Contacted BT to say I was now retired and would they be able to do anything in the way of a price reduction / new contract etc...... Nope!

Begrudgingly saw the contract out and gave them notice 30 days from the end……Found a new supplier who offered same speeds on fibre and inc line rental came out at £26 P/M. Then got the BT Calls…… Sorry you are thinking of leaving, we could bring the price down to £35 P/M – I said no.

Couple of days later they offered to match the price at £26 P/M – I still said no. Another day or so and they actually offered me £20 P/M.
Might have been ‘cutting my nose off’ but still declined the offer and changed suppliers just because of the way they’d gone about things.

Current supplier actually gave me a better deal at the end of the 18 month contract and I now pay £23 P/M – happy to stay with them as they seem to recognise customer loyalty

Oh…. And don’t get me started on SKY :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We have our MH on multicar policy with LV. No issues to report. Cracked windscreen on my little toy car was a special factory order and they replaced with without an issue. If it is an A-Class check the level of windscreen cover (Post #2). Hope that helps. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back