Any suggestions for what to get put into a van conversion (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
A question for all you experts and connoisseurs out there, who've been at this longer than me.

Our 25 year old son has wanted his own motorhome for years, so he has finally taken the plunge.

It is being done right now by a professional and the van is a Peugeot short wheel base.

They're already fitting a solar panel, two-hob kitchen, table and chair arrangement that makes into a bed. A pull out toilet, but no shower. And the decor is a very classy grey carpet, and matching material on the walls and roof. Oh, and he is having roof box rails fitted so he can put out old Thule box on top.

So the question is.

Can you think of anything else that would be worth adding to the list whilst it is still in the 'being built' phase. He has another couple of grand in his budget so anything small or large(ish) ideas would be good to have so he can consider them.

Thanks all for any input.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Spend some time considering the wiring circuit. The Battery Master system, Power points, TV points, sound availability, Which type of water system - submerged pump or noisy pump mounted on walls. Waste tank and winterised fresh-water tank. If you intend travelling outside of the UK a refillable gas system, external light near door that does not interfere with an awning if you choose to have one, external screen cover. Design with some care the waste tank drain system so you do not have to get under the van to empty it. Refrigerator and finally somewhere to prepare food and store saucepan etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Plenty insulation everywhere .
Underslung water, waste and gas which leaves more storage room inside.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Following vanlifers as I do, the same question was asked recently, the No1 answer was a Toilet, The French may argue with that on some Aires mind you.
Les

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I think it’s best your son identifies what / how he is going to use the van, on campsites / off campsites, all year round or just the better weather times etc. Where the money is spent is a reflection of that. Plenty of young people manage very well with just the basic Van as found in the VW smaller vans. The diesel van heater requirement makes it good on the cooler poor weather days but if he stays on campsites with EHU he does not need that, use electric. Good luck to him.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There are an awful lot of us PVC owners and I think our numbers are increasing and whilst our showers are skimpy I reckon most of us use them. Nick and I wouldn’t dream of not having a shower every day. I think your son will really regret not putting a shower in.

We would have really missed out last summer that’s for sure.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I know a few people and small vans without showers they just chuck a towel on the floor next to the sink and have a strip wash.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you check Any make, type or size of van you'll find that everyone chucks the kitchen sink in!
I'll get me coat.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry I didn't understand that...
Very bad not to have a shower... or to have one.
What's the toilet got to do with it?

I can't imagine not having someway to get clean.
Couldn't agree more, our van was designed around a toilet and shower, everything else had to fit around it.
Not got a separate sink in there, but everything made large enough to be a proper shower, just couldn't manage without one.

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
The toiler and shower was the major requirement for influencing my purchase of the Crafter conversion I bought last year. Even though the shower space is a wee bit tight for a 6ft guy, I don't spend a lot of time in there, so it works out fine.

Personally, I think it's worth the sacrifice of some living space to have a small shower within the toilet enclosure. Each to their own though.

Good luck with your son's build. 👍🏼

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The toiler and shower was the major requirement for influencing my purchase of the Crafter conversion I bought last year. Even though the shower space is a wee bit tight for a 6ft guy, I don't spend a lot of time in there, so it works out fine.

Personally, I think it's worth the sacrifice of some living space to have a small shower within the toilet enclosure. Each to their own though.

Good luck with your son's build. 👍🏼
Sounds as if he hasn't even got a separate cubicle for toilet, sounds a bit strange to me, where does it pull out to, must be in the kitchen :Eeek:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds like what I would call a campervan rather than a motorhome so aimed at staying on sites with toilet blocks. We have a couple of friends who have vw campervans pretty new and as expensive if not more than a motorhome but no shower or proper toilet. It's each to their own and wouldn't suit us at all.
As to what to add I would say having decided at the outset not to be off sites a lot of the options suggested are out it might be best to save the cash start using it and see if theres anything else needed to fit in with how it's used.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Our old Talbot Camelot PVC had a small shower/toilet cubicle at the rear just big enough for a portable toilet. The door opened out into the corridor to make the cubicle large enough to use and gave privacy, you had to take the portable toilet out to use as a shower.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Sounds as if he hasn't even got a separate cubicle for toilet, sounds a bit strange to me, where does it pull out to, must be in the kitchen :Eeek:

Mine lives in it's own cupboard, under my bed, with its chemicals and bog roll. It's in a box with wheels on, so I can put it wherever suits.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry I didn't understand that...
Very bad not to have a shower... or to have one.
What's the toilet got to do with it?

I can't imagine not having someway to get clean.
Because normally you have a compartment for the toilet and shower as they take up the same space, the op has a pull out toilet in a cupboard.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My lad had a vauxhall vivaro like this, with a porta potty that they put in an awning, went out in it twice, and suddenly decided to convert an ambulance, shower and toilet first thing in (y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Because normally you have a compartment for the toilet and shower as they take up the same space, the op has a pull out toilet in a cupboard.
I understand your post now - thanks for the clarification.

Perhaps a rethink.
Although I have seen some interesting Heath Robinson showering affairs on Youtube Van Life videos... one involving a builders bucket & a hula hoop!

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
What does everyone else do while you are useing it?

There is no one else. I travel solo 98% of the time.

The only time there was someone else was on a day trip with my sister. She sat in the drivers cab, with the door between the living space and the cab shut.

I also travel with my parents but they have their own MH and use their facilities in their van.

Having a whole room dedicated to a toilet seems like an inefficient use of space when you travel alone.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
IMG_20210316_113426_edit_335292930123837.jpg

IMG_20210316_113437_edit_335308838998834.jpg

The door needs mounting properly but no point until I've built what's going next to it. You get the idea though. đź‘Ť

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Like others already mentioned, we built our van around the shower/toilet room. Separated of the living space is the best think. Keeping clean is a must specially with outside activities. Then sleeping area, a good keep is tons of energy the next day; kitchen, ability to cook with multitude of options can get you out of sticky situations, and eat well and healthy, no ready meals; refrigeration, this can save on shopping and help with food going for weeks, specially with a compressor freezer;
Hit the essentials first, and then see where the rest of the budget can go to make life easy and pleasant in the van, like the max fan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back