Any experienced Funsters passing by Saarbrucken? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi
I recently visited a dealer in Saarbrucken called Wohnwagon Vogt, where I found a couple of interesting liners, both Morelo and Concorde. Since my knowledge of motorhomes could fit neatly on the back of an envelope, I wondered if any experienced members on here are passing by (unlikely I know) and if you would be willing to cast a second eye.. I know this is a long shot/tall order etc....but worth a try anyway!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would guess you will have around 700-800kg of payload left with a decent spec including retarder, our build of a 8.7 metre van started with around 2000kg payload but that went down to about 1000kg after additional spec, auto box, jacks, retarder, big fuel tank, gas tank etc etc, with the Daily they tend to be close to the limit on the front axle and not helped by the Telma and big tank, be aware that if you have the Telma on a Morelo the standard fuel tank is 70 litres so it needs to have been updated to 200. On the subject of retarders the Charisma you linked has the Kloft which will be a retrofit and doesn’t integrate with the brakes and ABS the same as the IVECO fitted Telma does. I think you are right about resale over 7500kg OK you get a lot of truck for your money when you buy it used but🤔

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I would guess you will have around 700-800kg of payload left with a decent spec including retarder, our build of a 8.7 metre van started with around 2000kg payload but that went down to about 1000kg after additional spec, auto box, jacks, retarder, big fuel tank, gas tank etc etc, with the Daily they tend to be close to the limit on the front axle and not helped by the Telma and big tank, be aware that if you have the Telma on a Morelo the standard fuel tank is 70 litres so it needs to have been updated to 200. On the subject of retarders the Charisma you linked has the Kloft which will be a retrofit and doesn’t integrate with the brakes and ABS the same as the IVECO fitted Telma does. I think you are right about resale over 7500kg OK you get a lot of truck for your money when you buy it used but🤔
Thanks again Martin. There is so much information in this that it would have taken an age for me to get around to and figure it out myself, if ever. The Kloft on the Charisma isn't perhaps looking so clever with a large fuel tank, the front axel could be pushing the limit? I seem to be whittling down the options here, which was the point of asking the question in the beginning!...so, all good.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
But, it's a dodgy game buying a Mh based on residuals, I've had a Mh for 18 years, Ive never seen them anything like this, lots of big posh motors at house prices and more. We've been speculating about a bubble for long enough, will it burst? If so when? By how much? Motorhome residuals used to be horrible.

IMHO Kilroy you should buy what best suits your needs now as long as its at a price you're happy to pay.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks again Martin. There is so much information in this that it would have taken an age for me to get around to and figure it out myself, if ever. The Kloft on the Charisma isn't perhaps looking so clever with a large fuel tank, the front axel could be pushing the limit? I seem to be whittling down the options here, which was the point of asking the question in the beginning!...so, all good.
Actually one good thing about the Kloft is they can fit it just in front of the rear axle so alleviating some of the front axle load, it’s a minefield 😏

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would say buy an old model dirt cheap compared to the ones you are considering but one of the factors now is the ever changing emissions stuff which I can see why some opt for newer engines.

Build quality much better in the older models but newer engines are preferable for travel these days(Although not for reliability)

Depends really on how long you think you will keep it for and the places(cities etc) where you think you Will be travelling to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Well I’ve learnt a lot just reading through this ,it makes your brain hurt absorbing it all👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
But, it's a dodgy game buying a Mh based on residuals, I've had a Mh for 18 years, Ive never seen them anything like this, lots of big posh motors at house prices and more. We've been speculating about a bubble for long enough, will it burst? If so when? By how much? Motorhome residuals used to be horrible.

IMHO Kilroy you should buy what best suits your needs now as long as its at a price you're happy to pay.
You are right for sure in this case Jon.
I have to get out of my own way sometimes!, though its not easy after a lifetime in business when calculating risk/reward, profit/loss was a fulltime way of being! I am only just learning to do something 'just because I want to'!!.....a slow learner!:LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Actually one good thing about the Kloft is they can fit it just in front of the rear axle so alleviating some of the front axle load, it’s a minefield 😏
Wow!..well doesn't that make me feel out of my depth!!:rolleyes: What a lot I haven't figured out in the midst of so many variables!:LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I would say buy an old model dirt cheap compared to the ones you are considering but one of the factors now is the ever changing emissions stuff which I can see why some opt for newer engines.

Build quality much better in the older models but newer engines are preferable for travel these days(Although not for reliability)

Depends really on how long you think you will keep it for and the places(cities etc) where you think you Will be travelling to.
Hi Paul
I totally get what you are saying. The less tech the better in general is my preference. And also I don't want to be too precious about any vehicle & I'm likely to be more so with a newer one. I have looked at a few older Concordes and I like them particularly the cherry wood interiors etc. Unfortunately the older ones don't come with any guarantee in general, and I am really not someone who is interested in or knowledgeable enough to get into doing up or fixing stuff. Hopefully any hiccups with a newer one will be sorted by whatever dealer.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hi Paul
I totally get what you are saying. The less tech the better in general is my preference. And also I don't want to be too precious about any vehicle & I'm likely to be more so with a newer one. I have looked at a few older Concordes and I like them particularly the cherry wood interiors etc. Unfortunately the older ones don't come with any guarantee in general, and I am really not someone who is interested in or knowledgeable enough to get into doing up or fixing stuff. Hopefully any hiccups with a newer one will be sorted by whatever dealer.....

I understand your position WRT dealer support, but I’m of the opinion that dealers are ALL terrible. Apathetic at best! You need to view any purchase of a vehicle of the age you’ve been looking at as your problem.

CazPaul point becomes more relevant in this context. Slush fund on top of the purchase price is my approach.

On occasion I hanker for a newer RS, but my old RS, largely sorted for our use, will do me just fine. It has a certain patina which I’m adding to with the sort or use we are giving it and I’m largely pretty relaxed with that!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
So I had a look around for some older models and I came across this one in France. It is a Morelo but very similar in spec to the Concorde 890L on Eurocargo metioned above. This one is also on EC and possibly has a better spec(?). It is 6 years older but 100k euro cheaper....?
Can I push my luck here and ask for any thoughts on this price ..is it a bit too low?

Thanks, & I promise I won't keep expanding this list of vans!

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Unusual layout, front pull-down and rear single would that suit you?

It’s the exact layout as our Concorde but of course ours is only 6.48 metres long.

Looks quality that Morelo though I do prefer the earlier models

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back