Another Pipe Dream ? Or.........? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Anyway; yes nice idea and would welcome it, but is Norway a sufficient 'go to' destination draw for a non cargo ferry? If cargo/commercial as well I think it would be more than a 'pipe dream'. (y)

Edit : I would also add that it's green credentials whilst laudable would not currently be a sufficient USP in my view to make much of a difference to the tourist client they are foussing on.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Wouldn’t even help if trying to avoid 90 day stamp as Norway is a schengen country? IMV don’t think enough folk would want to use it🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Anyway; yes nice idea and would welcome it, but is Norway a sufficient 'go to' destination draw for a non cargo ferry? If cargo/commercial as well I think it would be more than a 'pipe dream'. (y)

Edit : I would also add that it's green credentials whilst laudable would not currently be a sufficient USP in my view to make much of a difference to the tourist client they are foussing on.

Yup, don’t believe it would work without a sound commercial Ro-Ro formula to underpin it. Let’s look at what has come before (and been withdrawn) and what is current.

DFDS had, on the face of it, a very popular and well subscribed route into the Scandi region with its Harwich to Esbjerg ferry - which was apparently not profitable, although every time I sailed on it over many years was full to capacity!

DFDS currently operates a commercial Ro-Ro sailing between Immingham and Gothenburg, Sweden, which has limited (12 cabins IIRC from the last time we travelled) availability for drivers and non-commercial passengers - read MoHo or similar vehicles.

IMHO there is no way that they would generate enough passenger traffic direct to Norway to sustain a business - and its not as if others haven’t floated the idea on more potentially profitable routes between the U.K. and Denmark before and it’s come to nothing.

If DFDS can’t make it happen then this ‘pie in the sky’ statement sums it up for me:

“Before travelers get too excited, BCL still needs to raise the funding required to see the project become a reality. Work to raise the shipbuilding costs of approximately 2.1 billion Norwegian kroner ($206 million) begins soon.”

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It's been discussed on our Harwich to Esbjerg ferry Facebook forum and while many welcome any link to Scandi it's not the most useful. With a stopover in Hirtshals added it would open up Denmark and Sweden for a wider travelling public. DFDS took over most of these old routes before closing them down.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Here's another alternative thats already running

Just put in a random crossing in Septmber comes up at about 850 euros one way, 1400 return
And doing very well apparently with next year's schedule set to run much more frequently but we still have to factor in the return trip to Amsterdam/Rotterdam or the channel. A similar route to Gothenburg was announced at the same time as H/N Line. The NoSwed Line which appears to be floundering if not sunk altogether.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Here's another alternative thats already running

Just put in a random crossing in Septmber comes up at about 850 euros one way, 1400 return
My last crossing of a similar length across the North Sea, from Bergen to Germany resulted in the worst seasickness I've ever suffered (and I lived on a ship for two years), so I'll take the drive up Denmark and the shorter crossing from there - or even via Sweden across the bridges! :sick::smiley:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
With 3 days at sea and very limited itinerary though.
Possibly. I wouldn't find that a problem. Our usual cruises are Caribbean no fly ones with 5-6 days at sea. In fact I prefer the journey to he arrival and would be quite happy with 20 days at sea, though I realise this may not be a popular idea.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Possibly. I wouldn't find that a problem. Our usual cruises are Caribbean no fly ones with 5-6 days at sea. In fact I prefer the journey to he arrival and would be quite happy with 20 days at sea, though I realise this may not be a popular idea.
Tbh thats whats prevented me from doing a fjords cruise. I tried a carribean cruise and after the first day and a half at sea I was ready to jump over the side. And yes each to their own.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Important to choose the right ship for a cruise. Like campsites must be adults only. Good food, multiple bars and excellent service. Lots of formal nights so swmbo can dress up (I am probably unusual in having five dinner suits) Good weather is a plus and to a large extent if you've seen one Caribbean Island you've seen them all.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Important to choose the right ship for a cruise. Like campsites must be adults only. Good food, multiple bars and excellent service. Lots of formal nights so swmbo can dress up (I am probably unusual in having five dinner suits) Good weather is a plus and to a large extent if you've seen one Caribbean Island you've seen them all.
Formal nights for us are a trial to be endured. Not being a dandy I manage with one DJ. When one sees the tatooed leviathons laid out on the deck in the sun the image is imprinted and any number of Dinner Suits cannot erase that image. I am happy with reasonable dress codes and my wife does love dressing up, and that is not confined to Formal Nights. I am quite happy to wear a blazer collar and tie for Dinner but DJ's surely have had their day on what is effectively in most cases a resort cruise however sold!:rolleyes:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This couldnt be further away from what I want to do :LOL:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Have you grown out of 4 of them eating al that cruise food? :LOL:

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've found sea days, certainly on Cunard, are almost busier than days ashore. Lectures, concerts, films and that's without going for a leisurely coffee and a couple of laps of the deck to get your steps up.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
5 DJ,s do you pay your way as a ‘maitre’d ? 😈

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back