Amazon Scam (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I'm sure this has been mentioned, however scam goes like this. Telephone call from a robotic female voice "Your Amazon Prime account will be renewed at £79.99 (last week it was £39.99) if you do not want to renew speak to our customer service manager by pressing 1 on your telephone" The moment you press 1 your amazon account is debited £79.99. I don't quite understand out these shysters manage to do that, but apparently it works. Try calling Amazon and you'll find its a waste of time, all they do is refer you to their automated advice line.

Be Careful out there.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I doubt very much your account will be debited - how could it, it’s not Amazon calling.
I’ve had these calls but never pressed 1, but if I did I’d expect to be diverted to a premium rate call or some means of getting me to disclose my bank or credit account details. Either way, ignore and hang up.

If, like many, you have an Amazon account, delete your card details after each and every purchase otherwise it will get stored. Probably not an option if you use Amazon Prime though?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
My friend has had this call up to 5 times a day just lately. She's now registered on the Telephone Preference Service and they've stopped.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
It's not just a case of pressing 1....
"
A police spokesperson said: "During the call a pre-recorded message invites the victim to press 1 on their phone to link to an operator. A long conversation follows in which the victim is asked to re-connect to the caller via a computer or mobile device and then allow Amazon to link to their account.

"While they continue to talk to the victim, they ask them to log on to their online banking via the remote device to check whether a refund has been made to their bank.

"The caller talks to the victim, distracting them from looking at their device, while money is quickly transferred from their bank, or even an application for a loan made while the banking session is open."

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I'm sure this has been mentioned, however scam goes like this. Telephone call from a robotic female voice "Your Amazon Prime account will be renewed at £79.99 (last week it was £39.99) if you do not want to renew speak to our customer service manager by pressing 1 on your telephone"
I had an identical call last week. I was suspicious that the sum quoted was £39.99, when I knew Prime was £79.99.
I just hung up and blocked the telephone number.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
My friend has had this call up to 5 times a day just lately. She's now registered on the Telephone Preference Service and they've stopped.
That’s a first, a phone scamming outfit respecting someone’s wish not to be pestered by junk calls! More likely coincidence.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I had an identical call last week. I was suspicious that the sum quoted was £39.99, when I knew Prime was £79.99.
I just hung up and blocked the telephone number.
Blocking probably won’t work, the number you see on the incoming call is fabricated.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been around a long time.. Even featured on BBC TV a few weeks ago..
Just hang up is the advise, scammers are calling from outside the UK so the TPS / complaints dont cover it..

As you answered they know its an active line and you may get more calls, as said blocking wont help as they most likely have 100's of lines to call out from. We used to get one just after 9am, we then ignored any calls around that time. Now stopped. If it had been important and a real call ie family they would have called again or used my mobile.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Best thing we ever done was to purchase the BT Phone set with Built in Protection from all calls using artificial or recorded voices. Cost us £70 but to be honest...No more nuisance calls at all. BT Advanced Cordless with full protection.
You will see a missed call when someone has tried to call you on a artificial or recorded voice and the number is automatically blocked. Brilliant!

Kev

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We've been getting them for months and block each call by dialling BT on 1572, but what you're saying is that it's a fake number anyway, so we're wasting our time ? That would figure cos we get them the next day from a different number. Will just let the call ring out from now on and see how that goes.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I cancelled my Amazon account last month when I found out that their site was prone to peoples details being got off their site---not secure enough.Not an easy task to remove the account.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We've been getting them for months and block each call by dialling BT on 1572, but what you're saying is that it's a fake number anyway, so we're wasting our time ? That would figure cos we get them the next day from a different number. Will just let the call ring out from now on and see how that goes.
Thats what we kept getting to be honest. When we spoke to our next door neighbour, it was her that put us on to the BT Advanced Cordless phones. Basically ...once you have put all your numbers that call you regularly like family and "real' friends, the rest have to announce a call and you can either accept it or not. No Automated calls get through at all. On top of the BT blocking service you have in built ..you can block a number at the press of a button job done. The Foreign numbers that come through using British codes etc actually show up as a 00.......indicating a foreign caller. These are automatically blocked.

Kev

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Ask them to hang on while you get the paperwork then go out for the day.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Does that mean you do not have the fun of keeping some scroat on the phone (leaving some other poor soul alone) whilst you have a laugh talking absolute nonsense to them until THEY hang up on you ?? (y)

Deleted User
The best way to avoid every phone scam ever conceived is to not answer your phone unless you know the number.

If it’s important they’ll leave a message.

sorted (y)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
We can’t get that telephone show caller thing. But I delete any email that means that anything or anyone can get at my passwords or my money it’s mine and I am keeping it! If it was real and I did not update my details so be it I can alway contact the bank or supplier ie Amazon and get reinstated. Better than losing my hard earn money.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I cancelled my Amazon account last month when I found out that their site was prone to peoples details being got off their site---not secure enough.Not an easy task to remove the account.
Is it insecure? What have you found?
For example this site recently said it was more secure than others.

Edit: I work for their web services division and I find them hard to get through the door - but that’s a different type of security

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
I no longer have a landline... who really needs one ?
When I had one I always screened calls with an answerphone... you will get a large number of silent calls that will activate a computer at the other end once you speak.... they then know your number is live and its resold to other villains..
I use an EE mobile SIM and router for internet... not the fastest but enough to stream Iplayer etc ..

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Is it insecure? What have you found?
For example this site recently said it was more secure than others.

Edit: I work for their web services division and I find them hard to get through the door - but that’s a different type of security
For me, it’s not whether their site is anymore or less secure than others, but how easy it is to get a problem resolved should the worse happen. In my experience with the likes of Amazon, eBay, Paypal etc, what they all have in common is customer service systems that make it nigh on impossible to speak to a human being about your problem.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The best way to avoid every phone scam ever conceived is to not answer your phone unless you know the number.

If it’s important they’ll leave a message.

sorted (y)
ystk

I think the best way is to unplug the land line phones and just use your mobile. It always tells you who's calling and easily blocked

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
For me, it’s not whether their site is anymore or less secure than others, but how easy it is to get a problem resolved should the worse happen. In my experience with the likes of Amazon, eBay, Paypal etc, what they all have in common is customer service systems that make it nigh on impossible to speak to a human being about your problem.
Oh well. Those are a few of the big online companies that in my experience I’ve had issues resolved with quickly via their support processes but it’s a definetly a ymmv type of thing ??

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
ystk

I think the best way is to unplug the land line phones and just use your mobile. It always tells you who's calling and easily blocked

They can spoof (ie falsify) numbers shown on a mobile call too.

As others have said - the BT Call Guardian works really well. You set up the “white list” which is those numbers that will be put straight through, all others numbers must leave a message before being put through; you are notified with the message and can then accept or reject the call - all without actually speaking to the other person.

I love playing with scammers if they ever phone my mobile - I keep them on for ages and wind them up big time - it gives me a great sense of accomplishment when they slam the phone down on me :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back