Alternative Site to Bourg St Maurice (1 Viewer)

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Back motorhoming after a 6ish year break!
Unfortunately after trying to book for April and the site giving me a price, when I continue to book it says no availability šŸ˜­

I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for a site near to the slopes around this area. As it's April and coming to the end of the season we will need a higher resort but are open to anywhere really.

First time in the motorhome skiing so would prefer a site this time.

Many thanks!! ā›·ļø

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
How about Camping Les Lanchettes at Peisey-Nancroix. It is served by a free shuttle bus to take you to the pistes and serves the Paradiski area (as does the site at Bourg St M) but on the La Plagne side rather than the Les Arcs side.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Chamonix has possibilities. There is a campsite in the town. Alternatively have a look at camping car parks on top of the mountains. I know Alpe D'Huez has its own style of a CCP and very popular. Unsure if you can book

Another alternative is the heights of the Cotswolds on the top of the hill. Unsure about the snow but there is a rally there over that period ;) Well run site by our very own Quackers https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ers-woodside-field-6-11-april-2023-šŸ„šŸ„.271322/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brody

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
How about Camping Les Lanchettes at Peisey-Nancroix. It is served by a free shuttle bus to take you to the pistes and serves the Paradiski area (as does the site at Bourg St M) but on the La Plagne side rather than the Les Arcs side.

Great, I'll check it out! Thanks

Chamonix has possibilities. There is a campsite in the town. Alternatively have a look at camping car parks on top of the mountains. I know Alpe D'Huez has its own style of a CCP and very popular. Unsure if you can book

Another alternative is the heights of the Cotswolds on the top of the hill. Unsure about the snow but there is a rally there over that period ;) Well run site by our very own Quackers https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/easter-at-quackers-woodside-field-6-11-april-2023-šŸ„šŸ„.271322/

Thank you, I'll have a look.

Not sure about the rally.....I think you'll all have a better time without my two young adults tagging along! Enjoy though šŸ™‚

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
There is an aire at les2 but you can't book.

Dropped pin

You say Venosc was dear, I wouldn't have thought bourg would be much different.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I happened to have this open on a tab already to look at. Looks nice, expensive though šŸ˜°
We stayed at Easter this year, 4 adults. It was around ā‚¬40 a night with hook up.

OP
OP
Brody

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Caravanaige at Les Saisies (ski in / ski out) or another at Les Contamines at foot of cable car?

Thank you, I'm really struggling tbh, I feel like giving it up as a bad job and booking an apartment.

I don't know if I'm missing something but some sites are showing no availability even into summer!

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
It may be worth telephoning the sites direct to make an enquiry, starting with your first choice at Bourg St Maurice. There is something quite flaky about some French website booking systems as our friends found out last year when they had issues on more than one occasion when trying to make bookings.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Depends what you want in terms of facilities or if you're going to use your own.
But.
If it were me and we've been motorhome skiing for many a year in April which is late, I would be booking at Val Thorens or Montgeneve. One because its very high and easy to access , one because it has a great snow record and a fantastic aire.
VT because it can be booked, all be it a bit if a scrubby car park but direct skiing.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Some sites may not be open due to rising electricity costs in FrancešŸ˜±heating and cable car running costs are rumoured to be decimating some resorts šŸ˜¢

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Have you considered the Aire at La plage. 16amp hook up and services but I'm not sure about toilets. 50% of it is bookable and it's open to book now, 22euros a night I believe. Literally next to the piste.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
There is good compsite at La Rosier across the other side of the valley if you want some other ideas. Ski bus used to come to the campsite and it is linked to La Thuille in Italy. We were there 3 years ago and the site had good facilities.

OP
OP
Brody

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Hi all

I've managed to book Bourg St Maurice šŸŽ‰ā›·ļø

I think the booking systems must only open around now for the winter season so I've just had another quick look and it let me book. Looking forward to some snow and fingers crossed the old back holds out as I've had a slipped disc since my last skiing outing. Time to start the exercising šŸ˜‚

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
I agree that the Camping de la Foret is worth a look - here's an old picture of me trying to trace the leccy cable prior to leaving!
IMGP3165.JPG

and 10 minutes later the snow plough turned up . . . . .

IMGP3124.JPG

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all

I've managed to book Bourg St Maurice šŸŽ‰ā›·ļø

I think the booking systems must only open around now for the winter season so I've just had another quick look and it let me book. Looking forward to some snow and fingers crossed the old back holds out as I've had a slipped disc since my last skiing outing. Time to start the exercising šŸ˜‚
Glad you managed to get your booking in, we have just booked for Feb/March. It's a great site, second time for us. Enjoy!

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
We are planning to head down to the Alps week starting the 18th March. My wife doesnā€™t ski so I said we would take the car and stay in a 4 star wellness hotel that dog friendly. However, Iā€™m still wondering why we paid 70k for a new German Motorhome only to leave it at homešŸ™„
So the plan is to travel down with a couple of sightseeing days then 3 days skiing and head back. So I really need somewhere I can go skiing for 3 days and she will be happy to potter about with the Whippet ie. Shops, restaurants and dog friendly bars.
I was thinking about Bourg ST Maurice but not been there before so not sure how big a town it is. My other option is to travel down through Germany and stop at Fussen before heading to solden/obergurgl where Iā€™ve been before.

Any advice welcome

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Huttopia campsite is a sure bet,

Huttopia Bourg St Maurice Campsite ****
Route des Arcs, 73700 Bourg-Saint-Maurice​

You can overnight stay at La Granges, follow D119 up to la granges then turn left and park under funicular railway aire/carpark (no facilities) but good to catch train up to ski area les Arcs or down to the town, plenty shops, supermarkets, cafes ect, you will need to checkout wellness centres.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Huttopia campsite is a sure bet,

Huttopia Bourg St Maurice Campsite ****​

Route des Arcs, 73700 Bourg-Saint-Maurice​

You can overnight stay at La Granges, follow D119 up to la granges then turn left and park under funicular railway aire/carpark (no facilities) but good to catch train up to ski area les Arcs or down to the town, plenty shops, supermarkets, cafes ect, you will need to checkout wellness centres.
I was actually thinking about doing a mini tour of Germany and down to Langenfeld campsite for a couple of days Skiing. Itā€™s on the main bus route to Solden and Obergurgl.
Still undecided as Bourg Saint Maurice still looks a good option as well.

OP
OP
Brody

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Thank you for the recommendation!

We've just left Bourg St Maurice after a phenomenal week of skiing.

Great site and well placed for the funicular it is definitely on the 'return' list. Heading back on the non toll roads now for a few days.

The only hiccup was my sister breaking her leg on the first day about 20mins in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back