Alde heating concern (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
1st time in the new carthago and been traveling for 2 hrs with heating running through the heat exchanger just parked up and lounge,area really warm but bathroom and bedroom area not very warm.

I have just put the heating on via gas whilst parked up but bedroom only Luke warm ours has the high twin beds at the rear and the Alde has a pipe running all the way around the bed with vents but not much heat coming through the vents

On my Rapido we had a separate heating thermostat for the bedroom but can't find one on this vehicle does anyone know if there is one anywhere.

What could be the issue with the rear not getting as warm as the front could the system need bleeding it's not an issue now but could be next winter especially if we are in Scotland or abroad somewhere cold

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Our Hymer has an underfloor fan which helps circulate warm air to the rear of the moho. This is controlled by a manual switch, which in our case is on the side of one of the single beds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Bit dense here but just in case it helps, there is another post re Alde heating .. it might be of help to you.

Sorry if it totally different thing ..I don't understand technical bits of motorhome.

It's entitled Truma inet or something by @Russ M

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Does it all work as you would expect it to on gas/elec? in other words is it just on heat exchanger that you notice to issue.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this is going to sound stupidly obvious, so apologies but no offence intended

you have increased the heating thermostat? if we have driven for an hour or so, on a sunny day especially, our internal temp would be 20+ unless you have now got stat set to higher than that it will not run

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Sounds as though part of the circuit is isolated.

Ian

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our twin bed Hymer allows us to switch off the heating in the bedroom area using a manual valve under the side of one of the beds. Seems like some people (Germans) like cold bedrooms, but not us, so it is left always on.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hi all

Thanks for all your replies I have left it on full on gas for an hr and it seems to be ok now not sure if it just needed using as this is our first outing and is a new MH

Also it may be that the heat exchanger does not work as well as gas I don't know may be someone can answer that for me

On another note just left the air con on now to try it out been on for half hr and not tripped the hook up yet

Anyway it's 17 degrees now and we are sat outside on the chairs enjoying the sun on a very quiet 5 co site in Chester with huge pitches

Going to set the cadac up now and have a bbq this reminds me why I bought this MH

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Hi,
We have the same bed setup as you; the pipe around the beds is not the best heating system especially as it’s frequently covered by bedding. Most of the heat for the bedroom area seems to come from the radiator under the middle ladder. As far as I know, there is no separate isolation valve.

Regarding the heat exchanger working while driving, the Alde system will only distribute heat while its pump is running. That means either you have to put the thermostat up high, as David said above, or set the pump to run continuously through the Alde control panel.

Hope this helps!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all

Thanks for all your replies I have left it on full on gas for an hr and it seems to be ok now not sure if it just needed using as this is our first outing and is a new MH

Also it may be that the heat exchanger does not work as well as gas I don't know may be someone can answer that for me

On another note just left the air con on now to try it out been on for half hr and not tripped the hook up yet

Anyway it's 17 degrees now and we are sat outside on the chairs enjoying the sun on a very quiet 5 co site in Chester with huge pitches

Going to set the cadac up now and have a bbq this reminds me why I bought this MH
The heat exchanger works like a small radiator on the engine's coolant circuit. The hot engine coolant warms up the heating fluid in the Alde circuit. It produces a lot less heat than the gas burner will.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Another thing to consider is that the radiators are connected in serial rather than in parallel.

On our van this means that after having had the boiler running for 45 mins the radiators in the lounge, closest to the boiler are red hot but the ones in the bedroom are only just getting warm. So as such if the engine heat exchanger is fairly low output it could take even longer to heat the rear of the van.
In the winter we tend to put the heating on gas first, then switch over to the heat exchanger once warmed up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back