ALCOHOL ... how much do you imbibe? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm being serious in this thread:

I know we all talk silly at times but it does concern me the amount of alcohol that some people say they get through, whether at home or away. I don't drink but I notice that people get through quite a bit of wine/beer/spirits etc without thinking about it when they're sitting around all day which can't be good for them.

As the amount of alcohol that can 'safely' be consumed has been reduced by health bods in recent years do you keep a check on your consumption or just ignore it, eg are you oblivious to the risks and/or don't think they apply to you?

Attachments

• Units-Poster.pdf
    363 KB · Views: 11

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Management has to take a lot of pills, some of them controlled, so can’t drink at all. So I think it is not fair to drink in front of her, so at home I just drink 0% Bavaria. When we are away in the Palace then I will drink a not small glass of wine each night with dinner. At home, when we have visitors, I can keep up with them all. :gum:

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I don’t drink through the week, but what is classed as binge at the weekend, never drank when in mountain rescue, in fact sat here typing with a heavy head induced by drink, it’s my release after a v stressful week managing people, that makes my head hurt more? cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Management has to take a lot of pills, some of them controlled, so can’t drink at all. So I think it is not fair to drink in front of her, so at home I just drink 0% Bavaria. When we are away in the Palace then I will drink a not small glass of wine each night with dinner. At home, when we have visitors, I can keep up with them all. :gum:
Ooh Bavaria ?? have you tried erdinger? a lot more like beer without the dodgy taste and even classed itself as isotonic, brew dog do a few good uns as well

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am a lightweight social drinker. Roughly 15 units per week. Only beer and wine; occasional aperitifs; no spirits.

Must try harder.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't drink enough to comment on .... until female funster friends force a Baileys down me.. :)

Wouldn't bother me if all the alcohol in the world, and the knowledge to make it, disappeared overnight.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We don’t drink any alcohol. If Mr QFour fancies a beer, he has alcohol free. Here in Spain they sell it in all the bars, restaurants and shops.

Mrs QFour

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I'm a 4-5 glasses of wine 6 days a week. So about 2x recommend. But no I'll effects yet.... The next 70 years will tell, I'll be 140 then..

Glad I'm not the only one I was beginning to think this was a Temperance thread. :LOL:

I drink a minimum of one bottle of wine most days, "do I care?" (and no I'm not being flippant or clever.) No, Im almost 68 and have spent many years abusing my body one way or another and I suppose if I were truthful I shouldn't be here.

I have seen many many friends and acquaintances pass away during that 67 years, and am firmly in the camp of fatalists.

I now enjoy as much of my life as I want, I am under no illusion and have put very little pressure on the health system over my life time.
I believe firmly that it's mapped out for us from the day we are born so I continue to do what I get pleasure from. When the time comes I will accept my fate.:cheers:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but it does concern me the amount of alcohol that some people say they get through,

So what, it's their business. We have to die sometime, even you, if folk decide enjoy drink in a quantity that damages them that's for them to decide.

Now if you are talking raving offensive drunk, that a totally different matter.

So you don't fancy an alcohol assisted death, what are you up for ? Choose many cancers. Choose a nice brain tumour. How about in a cot unable to feed yourself constantly saying "god please let me die".

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Mrs t aint allowed due to medications so i don't .

When i was 18 - 22 i used to drink and wonder how i got home
It Was getting to be a problem
And a driving licence appeared so i parted with drink

Do i miss it. !!?. you betcha dream some days of a pint and a fag

(y):groan:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I hardly drink when away in the van. A can of carling between us in the afternoon with lemonade in ?
But I'll have 4 bottles of Stella with a curry ??❤?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At home not much a bottle of wine between us over the weekend the odd G&T & when my mates around 2 or 3 pints on a Friday night but thatsnot that often as we are both always away in our vans.

In the van difficult to have an alcohol free day, a small beer or two and a couple of glasses of wine most days and the odd G&T.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We used to get 'bladdered' every other week on a Friday night when Robert was still working, but now we don't really bother.
I may have the occasional drink if we are out for a meal, but only one or two and I may drink a glass of wine if i'm using some for cooking.
Our habits haven't changed because we want to live longer, sod that for a game of soldiers, i'm not sure why they changed really, they just did.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our habits haven't changed because we want to live longer, sod that for a game of soldiers,

This seems to dominate so much these days, quantity of life, not the quality of life. It's a very sad condition as seen on the news often where parents go to such lengths to keep a non functioning child alive.

I am a great believer in euthanasia.

PS: Remember Tootles - "those who are afraid to die shouldn't be allowed to".

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Glad I'm not the only one I was beginning to think this was a Temperance thread. :LOL:

I drink a minimum of one bottle of wine most days, "do I care?" (and no I'm not being flippant or clever.) No, Im almost 68 and have spent many years abusing my body one way or another and I suppose if I were truthful I shouldn't be here.

I have seen many many friends and acquaintances pass away during that 67 years, and am firmly in the camp of fatalists.

I now enjoy as much of my life as I want, I am under no illusion and have put very little pressure on the health system over my life time.
I believe firmly that it's mapped out for us from the day we are born so I continue to do what I get pleasure from. When the time comes I will accept my fate.:cheers:
We are all born and we are all going to die, the trick is to enjoy the bit in the middle.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Going by the recycling bin and how full it is of beer cans every week, I drink much , much too much.

Unless I have got a cheeky neighbour who also drinks SAN Miguel.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Use but don't abuse, the liver is an amazing organ, you can abuse it for years and it will constantly regenerate, you can cut it in half and it will grow to full size again in 6 months, it performs around 500 functions all vital for life.
But there comes a point when even the liver has had enough and scarring occurs(fibrosis) which can then lead to cirrhosis and an awful existence.

How do I know, because my sister has had it now for 7 years, the worst type, decompensated cirrhosis and all the associated issues, Ascites, spider naevi , sleeping a lot of the day, kidney issues, constant MRI and CT scans, appointments with hepatologists, nephrologists, GPs,

One drop of alcohol and she will die, can't eat anything with alcohol in, was given a 50% chance of dying on diagnosis 7 years ago, it's a miracle she's still here.

All because she was naive and didn't realise the damage she was doing with alcohol.

Scares me to death it does, I don't drink as much now, nowhere near as much.

There is also NAFLD which is diet linked and increasing.

Moderation in everything, be sensible, have a few days off drinking each week to allow your liver to recover, every time you drink alcohol part of your liver cells die due to it, but they then regenerate constantly, what an amazing organ it is, incredible healing powers.

I have learnt so much about the liver in the last 7 years.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Could I respectfully point out to all that as far as the WWW is concerned, this is a public forum and, as such, any response on here, whether light hearted, tongue in cheek or serious can be extracted and in circumstances, may be used against you.

Just saying.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
This seems to dominate so much these days, quantity of life, not the quality of life. It's a very sad condition as seen on the news often where parents go to such lengths to keep a non functioning child alive.

I am a great believer in euthanasia.
There is no way on this planet I want to be trapped the way my Mum is and if MS did it's worst I don't want it.
I sat opposite a couple at a BDS AGM dinner when I was waiting for a diagnosis and the lady could do nothing except slowly lift a fork, she could not cut up her own food, she could not speak, she could not remember anything. Her husband apologised, saying that she had MS, it's wasn't long after that, that I found out I have it...….so no thanks, I have no fear of death, I would only be moving on anyway.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
1 bottle of wine between us weekdays bit more weekends.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back