Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
Hello All,

This is not a request for help. Just creating a record of my experiences that might help others in the future. There are many tales of the airbag warning light fiasco on the forum. But one more never hurts!

I drive a Baily Approach which is built on a Peugeot Boxer frame. As the vehicle had been standing for several lockdown months I thought I would start up the engine and make sure that all was well. It wasn't. After starting the engine I got a warning beeping and the airbag light was on. After consulting the forum and trying various things like checking fuses, disconnecting the battery or juggling with the wiring under the passenger seat I realised the light was not going to go away. Apparently, once the airbag control module receives an alert it stores it on a semi-permanent basis. Well beyond the reach of mere mortals. I read horror stories of main dealer repair bills of many hundreds of pounds. Then I read about the Crashdata company and things looked brighter.

So (as young people like to say) I found out how to remove the airbag module and sent it to Crashdata. They fixed it and posted it back to me on the same day. It came with a dire warning that if I refitted it to a battery that had a low charge there was a risk of the error instantly returning. So I charged the battery up, refitted the airbag module and everything works.:giggle: Crashdata charged about £75.

Words of warning. The error number was B0100-49 which can be caused by the battery voltage being too low or too high. I have no doubt the problem arose due to the vehicle standing for several months and the battery running down. Even though the engine started easily, the airbag module took offense at a perceived low voltage.

As a point of interest, even though the vehicle is a Peugeot, the airbag module has got Fiat stamped on it. Maybe Fiat's are subject to the problem too.

Hope this helps someone.

Stephen

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
you were lucky. just heard back from crashdata, cannot repair mine. they told me they cannot fix three in ten. there is a worldwide shortage of ecu airbags so dealers have lots of backorders but no dates
it's a disaster ..no mot, 4 year old van God knows when I can get out. only bought at the start of lockdown last year.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
you were lucky. just heard back from crashdata, cannot repair mine. they told me they cannot fix three in ten. there is a worldwide shortage of ecu airbags so dealers have lots of backorders but no dates
it's a disaster ..no mot, 4 year old van God knows when I can get out. only bought at the start of lockdown last year.
You can get diodes that bluff the ecu telling it airbag is ok. That would do you till you got a replacement

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Words of warning. The error number was B0100-49 which can be caused by the battery voltage being too low or too high.
I had that error code too. Crash data sent me the printout which showed high voltage. Didn’t you get a report?
2A3D958E-6668-4DC7-96E9-5CA716F8D54A.jpeg

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I'm not very technical...what are diodes? who does thay sort of work? thanks

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
eBay airbag light fix

airbag resistor. And the make of van the chassis’s Ford/fiat and so on

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You can get diodes that bluff the ecu telling it airbag is ok. That would do you till you got a replacement
You can fit a resistor across the circuit to an individual airbag, but that's not going to fix a faulty ECU. It's the ECU that monitors the resistance of the airbag circuits, but if the ECU has failed with an internal failure (the common fault that Crashdata attempt to repair) all the resistors in the world won't help at all!

OP
OP
TheBows
Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
Just checked my error report from Crashdata. The voltage of the error was 14.3 but no comment as to whether this was too low or too high. Anyone know?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just checked my error report from Crashdata. The voltage of the error was 14.3 but no comment as to whether this was too low or too high. Anyone know?
It will not be too low so my assumption is too high but our personal opinion is that the ECU should not be throwing an error at that voltage especially one that cannot be easily reset.

AllyMoHo

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
I’m a newbie
I'm not very technical...what are diodes? who does thay sort of work? thanks
Diodes are in layman’s terms a “one way street for electricity”

Join us or log in to post a reply.