Advice needed on first trip to Spain and Portugal by an “old” nervous motorhomer (1 Viewer)

wuzzlewood

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Gower
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 3
Exp
since 1990
Hi all,

Advice needed, I am 70 and have had a motorhome for most of the last 35 years!
However I must admit that I am losing my bottle a bit, even considered selling the old bus! We have an 8m van not a transporter, and we like our comforts, our roughing it days are far behind us!

We have, until Covid and once since ( last year) visited Germany and much of France.

I am not as confident as I used to be things tend to worry me more than they used to.

We have booked the Plymouth to Santander Ferry for late May and would like to get as far as northern Portugal before heading home via Brittany in early July!!

Does anyone have any advice of where to stay? We are looking for campsites NOT aires , a confidence thing again sorry!

I also need a place to stay for the first night, possibly two on arrival at Santander!

I don’t want to drive on narrow single track roads, we have enough of those on Gower where we live!

We need campsites where we can walk or take a bus to civilisation as we like cafes and bars and people watching!

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations. Please do not just tell me to put my “big boy” suit on, it is an age and state of mind thing!

Regards
Steve

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think it’s absolutely fine to want to stay on campsites and not want to stay on Aires. It’s all about personal choice and you shouldn’t feel you have to apologise for your choice.

I do think Covid knocked a lot of peoples’ confidence and “aged” them more than their actual years. You’re by no means alone there. There’s a tendency to overthink things.

We do like the ACSI books and get them from Vicarious books. They give you a reduction on sites out of season and most aren’t bad at all. Some you can phone and prebook but mostly you just turn up . Nick prefers sites unless it’s just overnight.

In France Flower Campings have some nice sites as well. They seem to be taking over a few of the Municipal sites. There is also the Camping Car Parks system in France which we’ve used. They’re half way between an Aire and a Municipal site, good for a stopover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back