Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Taken the plunge and purchased our first motorhome on a Fiat Ducato base. This vehicle uses AdBlue, however this is totally alien to me, the only bit I know is there is a separate tank and filler (to the diesel). How often do I need to add it, how much to add, is there an advanced warning that the tank is getting low, how long does it last etc etc. So pretty much actually, all answers would be much appreciated

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Not had it myself but I believe

You do get a message. If you ignore the engine might go into reduced power mode.
It lasts ages.
Separate tank.
It's basically urine!
It can be bought at almost every fuel station

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Had our van for 3 years, done about 3000 miles and only had to fill it once (at about 2500 miles I think) since we had it, you will get some warning lamp when its getting close then just by some and stick it in the tank.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
GOt our new van nearly 4 years ago and if travelling abroad an adblue locater app is worth having just to get ris of the annoying orange light when you 1500 miles to go. I havent seen it go red yet but suspect 500 miles or less.
Easy to buy over the counter at high rates. About an average of 10 euros for a 5 litre container in any supermarket. I prefer to fill up in Belgium for 40 cents a litre
Careful when you fill up. If you suffer with prostrate like dripping problems when filling diesel you will understand to give it a really good shake before reholstering (A friend told me)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Depends on the fuel/NOX use/production of the engine. Have bought a 2.3 160bhp fiat recently (didn't know about lockdown) did a bit of as best research and found on average AdBlue use is between 3 and 5% of diesel useage. So 100l of diesel V, roughly equates to 5L of AdBlue. BUT is very dependant on driving technique.

Perhaps those with more experience of these engines can advise based on experience.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Firstly, fill the tank up with Adblue, ours was delivered with very little in it. Our Ford gives us a warning about 1000 miles before it runs out, which is rather pointless and annoying. Some garages have Adblue pumps which is the cheapest, but the most convenient is to buy 10 litre bottles which come complete with filler hoses. Don't buy this at a garage, they charge a fortune. Aldi sometimes have offers but the next best bet is either Screwfix or Toolstation, both of which sell it for £10 for 10 litres.

Generally I fill up before going on any decent length journey.

.... and no its not just urine. It contains a chemical that is also found in urine, urea, but is is very pure, and is mixed with water in a very precise proportion.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
From the AA

What is AdBlue?
AdBlue is an exhaust fluid, not a fuel additive. It's stored in a separate reservoir and is topped up via a (usually) blue filler cap located either next to your fuel filler, in the boot or under the bonnet.

It's a trade name registered by the German car manufacturers association, but is the most recognised form of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

What is AdBlue made of?
AdBlue is a colourless, non-toxic mixture of urea and de-ionised water. It’s not actually blue at all.

Lots of people think AdBlue is made of pig urine – it’s not. The urea used in AdBlue is a high purity man-made solution – pig urine wouldn’t be pure or sterile enough for a commercial product.

Upvote 0

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Had our van for 3 years, done about 3000 miles and only had to fill it once (at about 2500 miles I think) since we had it, you will get some warning lamp when its getting close then just by some and stick it in the tank.

You stick WHAT in the tank? :eek:

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Lots of people think AdBlue is made of pig urine – it’s not. The urea used in AdBlue is a high purity man-made solution – pig urine wouldn’t be pure or sterile enough for a commercial product.
And (seriously) use of pig urine might be unacceptable in some religions.
(I recall the hoo-haa from vegans, veggies and the 'Save the Worm' brigade about the tallow in the new £10 and £20 notes).

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t need it for our 2011 van too old, but we buy ours at work in 1000litre containers for the lorries and work vans I think the last price was 38p litre,got around 3000litres at the mo!

Upvote 1

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
Our car uses about 10L per 6000 miles so not enough to worry about chasing around to save a pound or two. Generally by a 10L container from Tesco for about £11. Amazon is cheaper and will deliver to you but need to by 20L at a time.

OK to store but once open can go off

What ever you do do not put it in the diesel tank, that works out very expensive, not done it but hear horror stories about the damage done

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Makes a hell of a mess if you spill it 😟
And it's corrosive,so quick with the washing down! Our VW Tig is an early model with the tank in the tyrewell under the boot floor. Spillage is a PITA ... :rolleyes: :oops:

Steve

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Fiat Adblue tank has a 19 litre capacity, I believe. My VW Tig [45-50mpg] has a 12 litre tank and manages about 4000 miles before the 'warning light appears [usually takes 9 or 10 litres], so a 4000 to 5000 mile range, depending upon how close you want to run it, seems reasonable. A heavy right foot, or lots of short trips/stop/start driving will increase consumption.

Steve

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Marchie, regarding stop /start driving would that also include engine stop /start as I have just had to top mine up after only 1200 miles from new it took 3.5 ltrs to get rid of the amber light had a look in hand book but can't see any reference to how much it actually takes .

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just switched Mrs Ridgeway's car and was pleasantly pleased to see it has a predictive range of 10k km for Adblue, also a low warning gauge and filler next to the diesel tank filler. It seems the range is increasing.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Ford has a 20L adblue tank, since new end of June 2020 I've filled it once and now carry 10L in the rear garage. Van's done 3400 miles. Range of the refill is currently 1900miles.

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Don’t need it for our 2011 van too old, but we buy ours at work in 1000litre containers for the lorries and work vans I think the last price was 38p litre,got around 3000litres at the mo!
Your being robbed off da grid I buy it IBC, s and current price is 22 p a litre for those who have to pay retail price buying it at the pump should be about 85 pence a litre but you only buy what you need and don't have to worry about storing a few litres of synthetic pig puss in your van

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
If it is damaging to spill what safety measures are there to stop you overflowing the tank as you fill it with one of the bottles from the likes of screw fix. I can visualise the tank cap adjacent the fuel filler but surely a bottle won’t have a cut off like the fuel pump does

Upvote 0

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
We have a 2021 Fuat Ducato, adblue warning light at 2100 miles , as per video posted above, allegedly 380 miles left until amber warning goes red, then 100 miles left before danger of limp mode / non restart / garage reset possibly required

I hope that helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Marchie, regarding stop /start driving would that also include engine stop /start as I have just had to top mine up after only 1200 miles from new it took 3.5 ltrs to get rid of the amber light had a look in hand book but can't see any reference to how much it actually takes .
I don't really know; I normally turn off the Stop/Start function on my VW Tig because of the 'once a week, less than 20 miles journey' usage since the pandemic. I regard stop/start driving as the rush hour crawl where you struggle to get into top gear and run the engine at 50mph for long enough to prevent automatic regens from occurring. Was the adblue full on yours when you collected it? I specifically asked the Dealer to confirm that Adblue tank was full when I bought the Tiguan. We almost bought a Fiat M/Home with Adblue engine and the Dealer confirmed the 19 Litre tank capacity. The Tiguan needs 5 litres minimum top up from as near empty as it can be run [stated in Handbook] so yours may have been almost empty. The Fiat should be doing around 250 miles per litre of Adblue [using Tiguan consumption as a proxy]. Does your M/Home have a gauge or monitoring system on the various digital displays? The Tiguan is an early model so lacks the Adblue tank measure that later models have.

Steve

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
If it is damaging to spill what safety measures are there to stop you overflowing the tank as you fill it with one of the bottles from the likes of screw fix. I can visualise the tank cap adjacent the fuel filler but surely a bottle won’t have a cut off like the fuel pump does
On my Tiguan I use a 1.89 litre bottle with a cutoff valve that needs to be depressed to allow the Adblue to flow. Decanting it can be messy, and, on my last refill [during a hailstorm!], I retired to the house porch for the decanting. The following morning, I saw the very white, calcified stains on the porch quarry tiles ... If the Adblue filler cap is on a near vertical face, pour carefully and have a generous wad of kitchen roll tucked under the Filler Neck to catch spillages before they can travel onto the paintwork, and then swill the paintwork off with clear water when the refill caps have been put back in place. I also swill out the 1.89 Litre decanting bottle 2 or 3 times and invert it to dry to prevent crystals forming on the interior.

Steve

Upvote 1

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 2021 Fuat Ducato, adblue warning light at 2100 miles , as per video posted above, allegedly 380 miles left until amber warning goes red, then 100 miles left before danger of limo mode / non restart / garage reset possibly required

I hope that helps
Everyone I've spoken to seem to need to refill quite early after a new purchase, doesn't matter if it's a Fiat, Ford or Pug. I doubt the tank is full when we get our hands on them.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I don't really know; I normally turn off the Stop/Start function on my VW Tig because of the 'once a week, less than 20 miles journey' usage since the pandemic. I regard stop/start driving as the rush hour crawl where you struggle to get into top gear and run the engine at 50mph for long enough to prevent automatic regens from occurring. Was the adblue full on yours when you collected it? I specifically asked the Dealer to confirm that Adblue tank was full when I bought the Tiguan. We almost bought a Fiat M/Home with Adblue engine and the Dealer confirmed the 19 Litre tank capacity. The Tiguan needs 5 litres minimum top up from as near empty as it can be run [stated in Handbook] so yours may have been almost empty. The Fiat should be doing around 250 miles per litre of Adblue [using Tiguan consumption as a proxy]. Does your M/Home have a gauge or monitoring system on the various digital displays? The Tiguan is an early model so lacks the Adblue tank measure that later models have.

Steve
Due to pandemic lack of use the start/stop in my Superb doesn't kick in until I've driven it for a few miles, it doesn't work until the battery is fully charged.

Upvote 0

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Due to pandemic lack of use the start/stop in my Superb doesn't kick in until I've driven it for a few miles, it doesn't work until the battery is fully charged.
The Tig will use stop/start at just under 3 miles at this time of year, even though oil temperature is only around 52 degrees. I like to get the oil temperature up to mid 80s/low 90s before allowing the s/s to kick in. Average weekly mileage for last 15 months is around 25 miles and mid Oct 20 service to Mid Feb 21 MOT total mileage was about 350.

Steve

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
On my Tiguan I use a 1.89 litre bottle with a cutoff valve that needs to be depressed to allow the Adblue to flow. Decanting it can be messy, and, on my last refill [during a hailstorm!], I retired to the house porch for the decanting. The following morning, I saw the very white, calcified stains on the porch quarry tiles ... If the Adblue filler cap is on a near vertical face, pour carefully and have a generous wad of kitchen roll tucked under the Filler Neck to catch spillages before they can travel onto the paintwork, and then swill the paintwork off with clear water when the refill caps have been put back in place. I also swill out the 1.89 Litre decanting bottle 2 or 3 times and invert it to dry to prevent crystals forming on the interior.

Steve
Thanks Steve for this excellent answer. I’ll have to look near the diesel pumps when I fill up with my unleaded & try to get something in place for when I get my van. Much appreciated Roy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back