A service on my Sprinter Hymer (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am just doing the B service on my Hymer MLI 580, I am astonished that they manage t get away with the way it is designed, and put together. Mercedes are as bad as Hymer. Just the little things like to get the fuel filter means the air filter must be taken apart in the engine compartment as ther is no room to remove it complete through the (letterbox) that Hymer allow as access, even the two halves are a squeeze, under that is the cover on the engine to come out to gain access to the fuel filter which is a complete arms length from the front. but doable oil filter is OK but the nightmare of trying to fill the engine oil through the rubber tube they supply. it is 4 inches too short and you cannot get a jug to the inlet as the front panel and scuttle stop you getting it in there, OK so pull the tube as it is rubber then it kinks at the bottom so the oil doesn't go in or down the tube, 12 litres needed in the engine. Underneath I need to drain remove the sump of the gearbox to change the filter and oil for the auto gearbox. Difficult to get the oil out as it leaves 5 litres in there after the sump plug is out and the stand tube removed. Then you drop the pan with another 5 litres still in it, the problem is there are two cross-members that are closer together than the length of the actual sump pan with the oil still in it. I wore a load of the oil after it splashed out over me.
It seems MB modified the shape of the pan by another inch at rear end just too much to go through the gap they allow.
The fluid change has been brought back from unlimited mileage to the B service and now is part of the A service, however at 32000 miles it is like new and clear green but not at all dirty, At the Dealers they want £450 to change the fluid in the gearbox only, hence I did it for £150 instead.
All these silly design faults make it a little clearer why the MB dealers staff run for the door when they see a Hymer and probably the other MH makes coming in for service. The new gasket and needed for the pan and the one I have is wrong along with the filter they supplied, I need to go back on Monday to get the correct ones. I wonder how much they actually do for their service plan or just stamp the service book.
I know I probably will never buy another motorhome, but if I did it would not be an 'A' class model. Everything that is done in the engine compartment is a real pain so god help you if major work needs doing on any type of 'A' class model.
I will rant again on Monday after I find what else there is to catch me out when I try and finish it.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Would be interested in the correct part numbers for the service items, if yours is the 2.2 euro 6 auto. John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good job you didn't buy another make, Hymer's A Class bonnet access is class leading. If you think yours tight have a look at a Carthago and if it has the Alde heat exchanger almost impossible to get at anything via the bonnet access. :smiley:

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Just sold my Rapido 3 Litre mercedes based motorhome for the same reasons , cant imagine what you would do if you had an injector fault or had to do something with exhaust manifold , absolute nightmare to do normal servicing never mind a serious problem.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Totally agree, the design is plain stupid. But a friend showed me the open bonnet of his big Carthago Chic and the bonnet access is practically impossible unless you can pour fluids uphill.
I haven't bothered to have our auto box fluid changed yet.
Am I right or wrong I wonder if yours looked clean?.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
as we know to our cost, turbo went on ours

had to remove the gearbox to get to and change it

£5K job to fit a £1200 part (I am working from memory on the turbo price but it was pretty close to this)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Not just a Hymer problem.
IMG_20181212_140626.jpg

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Would be interested in the correct part numbers for the service items, if yours is the 2.2 euro 6 auto. John.
Gearbox oil filter MA222 20 00
gearboxsump gasket MA271 03 80
gear oil blue MB ATF134 FE
Sump stand pipe GREEN from MB
engine oil filter Mann HU70102
engine oil MB MB 228.51
air filter Mann C 433121
Fuel filter MB A 651 090 08 52
Beware the transmission sump, it is longer than the gap between the cross members and it still has
three litres in it after draining it. I tried very hard to get it out but wore a load of the oil when it slopped over the edge onto me. There is a mini standpipe in the tray to stop all the oil going on the road and wrecking the box , should the plug come out under way.
Fuel filters are £60 quid from factors but earlier one is much cheaper and has a unused bleed pipe on it, otherwise identical. Oils are genuine MB and the ATF is NOT red but thinner and higher standard now.
hope this helps. Be prepared for a load of arXXXle doing it away from a pit.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Totally agree, the design is plain stupid. But a friend showed me the open bonnet of his big Carthago Chic and the bonnet access is practically impossible unless you can pour fluids uphill.
I haven't bothered to have our auto box fluid changed yet.
Am I right or wrong I wonder if yours looked clean?.
MB now demand the fluid change at first A service then 88000 miles, mine looked fine to me slightly mucky but still blue and the magnets had sod all on it. Mine has done 33500 miles. MB wanted £450 just for the fluid and filter change for the autobox alone, on top of the A service cost. It was to be don on B service but they brought it forward a year.]

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Weird, ours is 2016, first service A, just engine oil. 2nd service B, the book says engine and auto box fluids. I declined the gearbox job. Now at 75,000Kms wondering if I should get the gearbox done this year or leave it alone.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Fresh fluid and filter is cheaper than transmission problems!, mine is up for first A service and still under warranty so going to stump up for auto fluid change

Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
I am just doing the B service on my Hymer MLI 580, I am astonished that they manage t get away with the way it is designed, and put together. Mercedes are as bad as Hymer. Just the little things like to get the fuel filter means the air filter must be taken apart in the engine compartment as ther is no room to remove it complete through the (letterbox) that Hymer allow as access, even the two halves are a squeeze, under that is the cover on the engine to come out to gain access to the fuel filter which is a complete arms length from the front. but doable oil filter is OK but the nightmare of trying to fill the engine oil through the rubber tube they supply. it is 4 inches too short and you cannot get a jug to the inlet as the front panel and scuttle stop you getting it in there, OK so pull the tube as it is rubber then it kinks at the bottom so the oil doesn't go in or down the tube, 12 litres needed in the engine. Underneath I need to drain remove the sump of the gearbox to change the filter and oil for the auto gearbox. Difficult to get the oil out as it leaves 5 litres in there after the sump plug is out and the stand tube removed. Then you drop the pan with another 5 litres still in it, the problem is there are two cross-members that are closer together than the length of the actual sump pan with the oil still in it. I wore a load of the oil after it splashed out over me.
It seems MB modified the shape of the pan by another inch at rear end just too much to go through the gap they allow.
The fluid change has been brought back from unlimited mileage to the B service and now is part of the A service, however at 32000 miles it is like new and clear green but not at all dirty, At the Dealers they want £450 to change the fluid in the gearbox only, hence I did it for £150 instead.
All these silly design faults make it a little clearer why the MB dealers staff run for the door when they see a Hymer and probably the other MH makes coming in for service. The new gasket and needed for the pan and the one I have is wrong along with the filter they supplied, I need to go back on Monday to get the correct ones. I wonder how much they actually do for their service plan or just stamp the service book.
I know I probably will never buy another motorhome, but if I did it would not be an 'A' class model. Everything that is done in the engine compartment is a real pain so god help you if major work needs doing on any type of 'A' class model.
I will rant again on Monday after I find what else there is to catch me out when I try and finish it.

Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Ah! The joys of being a mechanic! Done that in a previous life! Been there- done that- got the video( and scars!)- not going back to it! C’est la vie!

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Not just a Hymer problem. View attachment 355627

1578444641661.png

That is indeed ridiculous, bordering on malpractice. It is one reason I didn't want an A class. All nice and all in the showroom, but then access to engine goes out the window, the weight, the costs of reparations, no thanks.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Ours is the best access we have had on an A class, Concorde 2005 Iveco. Even battery replacement looks easy unlike 2 previous Hymers.

Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Ahh! A ‘Crammed full and levelled off with a shovel’ engine bay! Just how I like them!?!??

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Worth noting that on the three A class vans I've owned (Tabbert FFB, Hymer, and now Le Voyageur, the bonnets have been designed to be quickly removable. Removing the lid makes a major difference to visibility and access.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thank goodness for good oils and long service periods , I left the cap loose on the autobox dipstick tube so that I can check the fluid at the correct temperature for level, in the future, I have got and need the reader to get it right though at 45C.
All I hope is that now it is three years old it will last without major trouble and allow me to go the distances I have already done. Trouble with getting my head around the mileages my old car did before needing to be total rebuilds, ie sod all and rebores at 40000 etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back