A-Class Drop Down Bed Mechanism? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hey all,

Does anyone have any pictures of their drop-down bed mechanism?

Just need a few images showing how they work, as would like to build one in next van.

Or know of anywhere that sells the brackets?

This is the sort of thing I'd like to build, hinged from the roof:
Pilote Drop Down Bed.jpeg

Thanks.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Hey all,

Just need a few images showing how they work, as would like to build one in next van.

View attachment 504495

Thanks.
I hope someone can come up with a supplier or manufactures name, I spent a few hours searching for a "drop down" mechanism a couple of week ago and drew a blank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is more a scissor action, either powered by a winch with a strap or a big pair of linear actuators. The winch system is by far the less complicated. And as above mounted to the walls to distribute the downwards force

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I hope someone can come up with a supplier or manufactures name, I spent a few hours searching for a "drop down" mechanism a couple of week ago and drew a blank.
So far all I've found is a video of a guy swapping the gas struts on his Hymer, but it shows the mechanism well:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is the bracket on the sidewall at N+B Polch, so that is the scissor type bracket.

IMG_0152.jpeg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
As you can see there are two common methods for the lift mechanism, the scissors type and the four arm swing down as with the Hymer. It all depends on how you want the bed to operate, on the Hymer, and my Pilote A class the bed swings down and foward over the instrument console which moves the bed close to the windscreen to make full use of the van space. This works well with an A class as the screen is further forward than a coach built. If you want the bed to drop vertically you will need the scissor type. If you want the bed at the rear or central you will lose cupbard space with the swing down type.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There's all sorts of fun with the geometry. One of the reasons we chose our Geist a-class over a Roller Team Pegaso was the bed dropped pretty much straight down. The Roller Team mechanism started with the bed at an angle against the roof and it swung backwards on an arc. It meant there was about half a locker length lost on both sides.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As you can see there are two common methods for the lift mechanism, the scissors type and the four arm swing down as with the Hymer. It all depends on how you want the bed to operate, on the Hymer, and my Pilote A class the bed swings down and foward over the instrument console which moves the bed close to the windscreen to make full use of the van space. This works well with an A class as the screen is further forward than a coach built. If you want the bed to drop vertically you will need the scissor type. If you want the bed at the rear or central you will lose cupbard space with the swing down type.
We used to have a Pilote A-Class with drop down bed as well. That bed is exactly what we want to build (y)

I've done the drawings, and a 1.2m x 1.85m bed, that swings back towards the screen as it drops, will fit perfectly (without encroaching into hab area when down). We will lose about 30cm of wall cupboard space either side, but that's fine.

I may be able to make it a little larger (don't have the van yet, so working off drawings), but if not it will be fine as only a guest bed.

There's all sorts of fun with the geometry. One of the reasons we chose our Geist a-class over a Roller Team Pegaso was the bed dropped pretty much straight down. The Roller Team mechanism started with the bed at an angle against the roof and it swung backwards on an arc. It meant there was about half a locker length lost on both sides.

Think I might order some Meccano (assume it's still about?) and play with a few designs (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
usually plenty of used meccano on facebook local selling sites

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Wissel If you are near the east side of the New Forest you are welcome to come and take some measurements.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Resurrecting an older thread here as want to build this pretty soon.

I now have a pile of old Meccano to dial in a drop-down bed mechanism, but could really do with a good pic of an existing bracket as a starting point.

Does anyone have an image of a drop down bed mechanism from an A class?

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Project 2000, Italy sell drop down beds.
Rhales conversions have done several.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hey all,

View attachment 504495

Thanks.
David I know someone who took a dropdown bed out of a Chauson, I seem to remember it was the sort that came down over the table, not like an a class dropdown if you interested I will contact him he lives near herne bay Kent and wrote the motorhome off in an accident. 🙄😁 Bob.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I can take some pics of my A class Burstner drop down bed if still needed?
I‘m at a site in the Lake District right now and it’s chucking it down so not going out on my push bike just yet!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Here’s a better photo
63DD32BC-CB4C-4B25-8EF2-E46A7D129AD8.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun