Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
hi i have this coupled to a netgear router works for me got me a workable speed for netflix ect ,,,but as others said i doesnt make a signal appear ,,but does boost a weak one ,,,

20210731_091025.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
One of the Teltonika Routers and a Poyntings external aerial, you would need a separate sim for the router.

I’m running a Teltonika RUTX12 which has twin modems and dual SIM cards running on different networks. It can be set to failover to one of them if the other drops out, otherwise they are normally configured as 50/50 load balancing, (might alter the bias when I drop a Eurozone SIM in when abroad), and so far it’s been rock solid. The Poynting MIMO V-3-17 is also a good match for the router with 4x4 LTE, 2x2 Wi-Fi and 1x GPS connectivity.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2023
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Brand new
Can anyone recommend the best 4G Booster.
I Host a lot of Zoom meetings and am constantly dropping out!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Different sims are better in different regions so my Smarty 4/5G sim with aerial on the roof is sometimes worse than my vodaphone sim in my iPhone inside.
I’m parked in the Cotswold water park (lake 32) with worse WiFi off the roof than on this phone.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
We have just ventured into this space. I trying a Poynting Puck 2 with a battery powered ZTE modem and a EE data SIM. Cost just over £100 for both. We are testing with a magnetic roof mounting via the skylight before making a final decision about drilling through the roof.
So far EE and the puck has been a marked improvement on my phone with a 3 SIM.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have just ventured into this space. I trying a Poynting Puck 2 with a battery powered ZTE modem and a EE data SIM. Cost just over £100 for both. We are testing with a magnetic roof mounting via the skylight before making a final decision about drilling through the roof.
So far EE and the puck has been a marked improvement on my phone with a 3 SIM.
The problem with the Puck it has naff all gain in the 800mHz bandwidth so it is not much use in rual areas its fine in built up areas where they use the higher bandwidths.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2021
Exeter, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 736G
Exp
1 year.
I fitted a Motorhome Wifi unit…. EE data only sim. Never not had wifi connection even in the highlands, the depths of wales etc… can definitely recommend it.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I have a Starlink on the roof that works like a dream. Converted flat with a star-Mount Systems case. Works everywhere with a faster connection than I have at home and a very small power requirement.

Do you use it abroad as well? Wondered how well it works in France. I imagine just as well as the UK, but always interested in first hand experiences.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The booster will only be as good as the router capability. Ideally you need a CAT 16 - CAT 20 router. Don't bother with the Huawei type sold for motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
So what would you recommend please?
I'd look at a Netgear Nighthawk mobile router M1 or above. They're a bit pricey but offer consistent coverage even without a booster. Don't worry about 5G as that'll take years until there is full network coverage plus 4G+ LTE available today is just as good if not better.

We've used our M1 everywhere, from the Med coast to the Harris Tweed shop carpark up in Tarbet Isle of Harris, never needed a booster. Streamed live football on the Isle Arran where no one else could find a signal - again no booster.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
Excuse my ignorance but would one of these Netgear Nighthawks work well regardless of what networks sim you used?

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You can't boost what isn't there in the first place. So if there is little or no signal you will be disappointed.

Geoff
Is that true? I have found that in Scotland I can be parked up and get no mobile phone signal, but my IPad through Router,booster and roof top aerial I can get a good signal for streaming even. All with same provider EE.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Is that true? I have found that in Scotland I can be parked up and get no mobile phone signal, but my IPad through Router,booster and roof top aerial I can get a good signal for streaming even. All with same provider EE.
There is a difference between 4/5g mobile network signal and your WiFi.

To get the best WiFi, use a router inside the van that has an external aerial to the mobile signal.

Mobile phone signal could be poor inside as the signals are weakend as they come through the walls and roof of the van; having an external aerial and internal router solves this problem and adds extra benefits such as multiple WiFi connections, local WiFi boosting, etc.

As said, your connection to the internet and ability to stream, work, browse, email, etc. is subject to having a strong phone network signal outside in the first place.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
There is a difference between 4/5g mobile network signal and your WiFi.

To get the best WiFi, use a router inside the van that has an external aerial to the mobile signal.

Mobile phone signal could be poor inside as the signals are weakend as they come through the walls and roof of the van; having an external aerial and internal router solves this problem and adds extra benefits such as multiple WiFi connections, local WiFi boosting, etc.

As said, your connection to the internet and ability to stream, work, browse, email, etc. is subject to having a strong phone network signal outside in the first place.
I did the test of getting outside the van with mobile and made no difference. What’s the difference between 4g phone signal and van WiFi ? It all comes from the same mast ?

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I did the test of getting outside the van with mobile and made no difference. What’s the difference between 4g phone signal and van WiFi ? It all comes from the same mast ?
Same sim card/phone network? If so the aerial and router are doing a better job of utilising available signal. If not, could be the difference in provider.

4g is the global/national over the air signal to carry voice and data, it comes from the various providers masts. The aerial sucks all yhis ul more efficiently than a phone and the router converts this to local WiFi.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
WiFi is a local area network it is absolutely nothing to do with 4g. The only places with WiFi masts are campsites an a very few towns.

The WiFi from your Mifi in your van just distributes the signal to your devices on the LAN (local area network). The 4g signal picked up by your Mifi is effectifly on the WAN (wide area network) of your router.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
WiFi is a local area network it is absolutely nothing to do with 4g. The only places with WiFi masts are campsites an a very few towns.

The WiFi from your Mifi in your van just distributes the signal to your devices on the LAN (local area network). The 4g signal picked up by your Mifi is effectifly on the WAN (wide area network) of your router.
Am I being thick? I assumed the OP was referring to a booster in his van.
When I said WiFi I meant MiFi used inside my van, so when parked up away from a campsite so no fear of connecting to sites WiFi, if I try to use my mobile phone and it shows a week signal or non at all, then use my IPad via MiFi, the IPad gets a far better connection via the MiFi which I assumed was receiving the same signal as my mobile phone but boosting it to a useable level, (doing what it’s supposed to do I thought!). I didn’t think there were 2 different types of signal pushed out by the provider( in my case both sims in phone and MiFi provided by EE).

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

A decent roof mounted antenna can make a major improvement to the service received. If the mobile router has the required inputs then a 4x4 LTE MIMO will be a good match. Description HERE

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back