4G Antenna on Hymer Mercedes (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
ok thanks Henry. Do you also use the R36A for 4G (via USB dongle) or do you use a different device/setup?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When using a router in this case the R 36 if connecting to a Fon, campsite or any other WiFi you must make sure the LAN address of the router is in a different range to the network you are connecting to.

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
ok thanks Henry. Do you also use the R36A for 4G (via USB dongle) or do you use a different device/setup?
No I don't use it for 4G, mines an old one and will only take a 3G SIM which I haven't bothered with. In the end I went for a router / antenna set up from Motorhomewifi.com. It's their '5G ready' roof mounted antenna coupled with the Huawei E5577C router. I just installed it yesterday actually and it was pretty straightforward.

I had originally intended going for the Poynting antenna mentioned earlier in this thread but after speaking to Motorhomewifi decided against it. I trust they won't mind me quoting what they said about the Poynting antenna:

That antenna is not an ideal choice for motorhome use, the peak gain at 800Mhz Band 20 which accounts for rural coverage (80% of Scotland is served by Band 20, for example) is -1dB (minus one) with no opportunity to benefit from a ground plane if you have one. The antenna, which is huge, has been designed primarily to offer performance at 450Mhz to markets outside of Europe which use this spectrum and it does this to the detriment of some of the key spectrum we use since 450Mhz is used in preference to 800Mhz in the markets where its usage is primarily intended.

Some pics:
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Nice set up Henry. I might also get the Huawei MiFi 4G router but will try to find an external aerial that does both. I think the Panorama LPMM-7-27-24-58 may well be that antenna and looks very similar to the one.

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Nice set up Henry. I might also get the Huawei MiFi 4G router but will try to find an external aerial that does both. I think the Panorama LPMM-7-27-24-58 may well be that antenna and looks very similar to the one.
I did fancy a combined WiFi / 4G antenna myself but Adam at Motorhomewifi suggested combined antennas failed to meet expectations in their experience. Given that I usually find campsite WiFi is pretty poor I decide to just go with 4/5G. I've still got the Alfa setup so can use that for WiFi if required.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No I don't use it for 4G, mines an old one and will only take a 3G SIM which I haven't bothered with. In the end I went for a router / antenna set up from Motorhomewifi.com. It's their '5G ready' roof mounted antenna coupled with the Huawei E5577C router. I just installed it yesterday actually and it was pretty straightforward.

I had originally intended going for the Poynting antenna mentioned earlier in this thread but after speaking to Motorhomewifi decided against it. I trust they won't mind me quoting what they said about the Poynting antenna:

That antenna is not an ideal choice for motorhome use, the peak gain at 800Mhz Band 20 which accounts for rural coverage (80% of Scotland is served by Band 20, for example) is -1dB (minus one) with no opportunity to benefit from a ground plane if you have one. The antenna, which is huge, has been designed primarily to offer performance at 450Mhz to markets outside of Europe which use this spectrum and it does this to the detriment of some of the key spectrum we use since 450Mhz is used in preference to 800Mhz in the markets where its usage is primarily intended.

Some pics:
View attachment 385877View attachment 385878View attachment 385879
The problem with Motorhome Wifi when I came to choose an antenna is they didn't publish the sort of technical information Poynting did. Having just checked on their website they still don't seem to, or if they do I couldn't find it.

On the technical information Poynting publish the peak gain of the MIMO-1 is just over 5dB at 800 MHz, not -1. The -1 figure may come from the graph of azimuth gain which as I understand it is something very different and relates to how the antenna differs in performance over 360 degrees. The information Poyting publish claims the antenna is designed to work in the 800 MHz band as well as others.

The best test is of course what the antenna does in the real world and all I can say is ours has worked extremely well through the length and breadth of Italy including Sicily, all around Corsica, including the mountains and throughout France, Spain and Portugal. It struggled on the Mosel but I think that was down to Vodafone coverage.

I'm not knocking the Motorohme WiFi product but if you are happy to go the DIY route I think you can get good results for less money. If anyone is unsure about setting these things up then Motorhome WiFi are a very good company to deal with.

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Henry Walpole
Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
The problem with Motorhome Wifi when I came to choose an antenna is they didn't publish the sort of technical information Poynting did. Having just checked on their website they still don't seem to, or if they do I couldn't find it.

On the technical information Poynting publish the peak gain of the MIMO-1 is just over 5dB at 800 MHz, not -1. The -1 figure may come from the graph of azimuth gain which as I understand it is something very different and relates to how the antenna differs in performance over 360 degrees. The information Poyting publish claims the antenna is designed to work in the 800 MHz band as well as others.

The best test is of course what the antenna does in the real world and all I can say is ours has worked extremely well through the length and breadth of Italy including Sicily, all around Corsica, including the mountains and throughout France, Spain and Portugal. It struggled on the Mosel but I think that was down to Vodafone coverage.

I'm not knocking the Motorohme WiFi product but if you are happy to go the DIY route I think you can get good results for less money. If anyone is unsure about setting these things up then Motorhome WiFi are a very good company to deal with.

<Broken link removed>
I agree DBK it's the real world use that counts. I hope mine performs as well as yours! To be honest I would never have contemplated fitting a 4G aerial myself if it wasn't for the lockdown. I knew if I wanted one fitted in readiness for our travels I would have to do it myself. The fact the motorhomewifi system comes with the 70mm roof fitting and adhesive pad with rubber skirt along with support if needed swung it for me. I have found they respond to any emails promptly and comprehensively.

I did find some technical information on their website for the aerial I bought, it's in the form of an image:
<Broken link removed>

I agree money can be saved by going the DIY route but I was happy to pay a premium on this occasion.

Reactions: DBK

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

We have always published gain figures but full specifications, while available on request, are something we've historically been shy publishing because based on the calls we get they are often misinterpreted or compared with eBay listings with faux figures.

The 40x40 ground plane that Poynting assumes is present in their specifications is a prime example of this. This is something we are changing going forward and you will find with/without ground plane figures published which is something I've not seen anyone else do. I'm sorry if we lost your business as a result.

For clarity in the quote given I was talking not talking about the MIMO-2 but about the MIMO-3 that the OP was intending to purchase. It was designed primarily for 450Mhz (Band 31) and is HUGE: <Broken link removed>

The MIMO-3 is a ground plane independent antenna with a peak gain of -1 at 800Mhz, not quite as poor as the Puck. The gain figures for the MIMO-2 are given assuming a 40x40cm ground plane which is of significant benefit at 800Mhz and without it, the antenna performs marginally better than the MIMO-1/3.

It's a good antenna in the presence of a ground plane / when installed on a panel van, of that there is no question and have seen with my reference sample. With Vodafone, you should be able to manually roam to any provider in Europe.

That is much appreciated and likewise, I'm not knocking your rational, experience, or your choice antenna for your vehicle.

Having spent 3 weeks in Europe over December (a bit of a busman's holiday these days!) benchmarking our new antenna it's great to have something that is both ground plane independent but that will also benefit from a ground plane when one is available.

Cracking installation and a great spread of the IP69K skirt. We'll be on hand for the life of the product for any support/advice that you may require.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back