24volt rechargeable drill conversion (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Advice please from those who are a bit more technical. I have a 24 volt rechargeable drill which is long obsolete which I am converting to run off 12 volts with a transformer to up the voltage to 24v from 12v. I have converted one old power pack already. So far so good but what I want to do is use it with the motorhome with the odd jobs sometimes. I did look at buying new cells for the power packs I have which have dead cells but the cells are costly to buy. Anway, I am now thinking about how to source the 12volt in the motorhome, one option being to run it directly off the leisure batteries sourcing and installing some terminals in the back end garage where the leisure batteries are or to buy a mains power pack giving me 24 volts dc say at 10 to 15 amps (I am unsure what current draw from the drill) using an inverter which I have (300watt). From what I read a PSU from the mains would draw 1.5amps. The terminals in the garage are my current favourite but the leisure batteries are a bit of pig for access as they sit fair and square underneath the middle of the lower floor, (the upper floor is the habitation area) and the height means laying inside the space to gain access.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
What do you intend to use the drill for? Small holes in the van, or drilling concrete on your house/garage/barn ?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Small 12v motorcycle battery, dc to dc converter, wire it up with enough slack so you can leave the battery on the ground while holding drill overhead. Or visit Aldi/Lidl.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What Terry said..
I went to a loadof bother to install an external 12v socket and converted an old 12 v drill to run off a lead from it.. it was to make my
Kayak carrier winch a bit easier to use..
In the end it just didn't have the torque to operate the winch.. but a good quality 18v battery one does the job..

Andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What you're planning is going to be very restrictive..... Basically converting a self contained battery drill to a 12v corded drill.
An 18v drill with two batteries is peanuts in Aldi/Lidl.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back