Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Hi
Has anyone stayed in or close to Le Man during the 24hr race in June?
I stayed some years ago but being 30kms outside travelling in to watch the racing was a nightmare.
any help would be much appreciated.
Roy

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi
I use First tickets for camping and entry tickets.
We stay in Maison-blanc campsite, trackside. :)
wouldn't recommend it if you want to sleep during the race though, but thats fine by me :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I asked Highwayman for info regarding the Le Mans classic race (unlike the annual 24hrs race only run every even year i.e. the next one will be 2020). I too bought tickets through 'First tickets(y)' and stayed at Maison-blanc campsite. The main difference between the two events is the classic cars do not run all through the night and the event is somewhat more subdued for older gentile folk:D2

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have booked for this June, there is a campsite within the circuit which is mostly for tents and has most facilities and another area for Motorhomes which is a hard standing parking area which we have booked.
Booked through Travel Destinations, ÂŁ95 overnight parking for the duration and ÂŁ85 per person for general entry into the circuit. Really looking forward to it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The main difference between the two events is the classic cars do not run all through the night and the event is somewhat more subdued for older gentile folk:D2

They certainly did race all through the night the years we have been there Phil.

Had a look at last years time table and again you would have had a sleepless night at the Maison-blanc campsite

https://www.lemansclassic.com/language/en/timetable/

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Not been since 2013 but it was a great experience. I have been 3 times. I've used both 1st Tickets and Just Tickets for tickets in the past.

I always preferred to stop on Camping Bleu.

Beermountain.com is a great resource for planning etc.

OP
OP
Pontyboy
Oct 9, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20 yrs on and off
thanks to all for your help and advice.
I will follow these up.
Roy(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We stay in Maison-blanc campsite, trackside. :)
wouldn't recommend it if you want to sleep during the race though, but thats fine by me :)

Tell me about it. We parked in a nice clear spot. Had a walk around, when we got back we were totally blocked in and staring at loudspeaker the size of a fridge. This speaker came active at 19:00 and faded out at 07:00, as did it's owners.

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Stayed a couple of times at site PZ54 which is very near the Porsche curves. It is essentially a car park but has a portacabin which is a loo fresh water & a dump point. Good access & lots of motorhomes no tents.
If you search for http://www.beermountain.com/ whilst the banter might mot be for you it does none the less list all of the sites around the circuit with a small review of each ones usefulness, also has the various links for tickets & what to do & what not to do as well.
Its about a 20min walk from PZ54 to the main entrance, but the 'Noddy' train stops right beside it.
Far side of the circuit is the tram stop which will take you into the town - Thursday Drivers parade - no hassle with parking etc

Regards

Arthur.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Tell me about it. We parked in a nice clear spot. Had a walk around, when we got back we were totally blocked in and staring at loudspeaker the size of a fridge. This speaker came active at 19:00 and faded out at 07:00, as did it's owners.
We had that a at a race we went to, they were running off a generator that suddenly developed a fault after half a kilo of sugar fell in it . They got another genny. but a friend who was a bit of an electrical wiz managed to short it out and silence it. They then moved to a car radio, and when they came to leave, they had killed the battery, they asked if we had jump leads, which we had, and said 'YES'.. and then didn't lend them. They were French.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Went once each to their own I would never go again. The start was interesting and seeing the night racing for a while the rest for me boring by the morning hard to tell whos in the lead and not much chance of seeing that much of interest. Sleeping in the back of a ford fiesta overnight didn,t help!!!!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
@Chris will be proud of you.

The French are notorious for being noisy at bike meetings, which is fine to a point , but so is revenge.

At Paul Ricard over the years we had some 'battles' , a guy who decided to remove his silencer and test the rev limiter every 15 mins through the night awoke to find his bike devoid of carburettors, another guy had his bike winched up a tree, which was hilarious to everyone apart from him, but my favourite without doubt a guy who fell asleep while revving his bike , and woke up to find his ankles zip tied to a rock, with 40mm wide cable ties . He wasn't in the sun when he woke up so we left him. He may have soiled himself.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
They certainly did race all through the night the years we have been there Phil.

Had a look at last years time table and again you would have had a sleepless night at the Maison-blanc campsite

https://www.lemansclassic.com/language/en/timetable/

Sorry, a bit of a late response.

It was 2014 I was last there for the classic Le Mans. I was told by a Mclaren engineer who was running a car there that they wouldn't run the cars for a period of hours during the night. I must admit I may have imbibed a little :wine:that evening and slept through it all:rolleyes:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
2 photos from 2007 that tell you what can happen on the Houx camping inside the circuit.

Before hooning round the muddy campsite tracks at 1 am:

DSCF0126.JPG

The morning after:

DSCF0138.JPG

So glad I wasn't in a flimsy tent while this was going on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back