2017 Renault Master 2.3 electrical problem (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I parked it on the drive and for the last 4 days have been working on converting it to a camper.

I have had the doors open and i guess the interior light in the back have been on all this time.

I tried to start it but nothing

Yesterday night i went out to lock it using the remote .It didnt work . and i noticed the interior lights so dim they were hardly on at all.

Flat battery i thought.

I did put a multi meter on to find I,m sure it was 0 volts.

I charged it up over nite battery is good 13.4 volts so possibly made a mistake with the 0 volts .

Tried to start it yet absolutely nothing .

I put another battery i knew is good on and again nothing even though it reads 12.4 volts. voltage does not drop when you turn key to start.

Help please

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Have you put the meter from +12v Battery to the engine to test the engine ground?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bad engine earth.
Bad starter motor terminal.
Faulty ignition switch.
Faulty immobiliser.

Doesn't leave much else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Have you got a big plate with fuses on the 12+ battery terminal? If so check them with the meter.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If your battery had dropped to zero, I guess that is shot and not recoverable, even if it shows a voltage. However you say that an alternative battery is also not helping. I wonder if you could give the alternative battery an overnight charge insitue, if that might work. I am not an electrician but just stating what I might try before abandoning hope

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Bad engine earth.
Bad starter motor terminal.
Faulty ignition switch.
Faulty immobiliser.

Doesn't leave much else.
Thanks i can check earth posibly starter if i can get to it .Then be calling the RAC

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
You should hear a clicking from the starter even if the battery is low, when you try to start it that is.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
13.4 volts is the float charge from when you charged it take the voltage after an hour for the true reading with 0 volts you wont get a click from the starter

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
An update.
With a fully charged battery.

I have the following when i turn ignition on but nothing else ie the other dash lights that normally come up
Indicaters.
lights
door warning lights up on dash.
milage
horn
windows go up down
the central locking works on key and button in head linning in cab.

I also have earthed engine to batt.negitive which makes no difference

No clicking from starter when you try to start just nothing no dash lights that normally come up.

All fused live terminals on positive battery connection all good and not loose.

So i,m guessing its down to imobiliser fault ?

Have not called RAC yet

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Oh, do you have your own alarm or just the fiat one? It does sound like it maybe a problem with that.

Do you have a battery in the key fob?

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Definitely sounds like an immobiliser fault. Do you have red flashing light on the dash if so these videos may help.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Oh, do you have your own alarm or just the fiat one? It does sound like it maybe a problem with that.

Do you have a battery in the key fob?
both key fobs work central locking so guess battery in them is ok

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Definitely sounds like an immobiliser fault. Do you have red flashing light on the dash if so these videos may help.

I will go outsside and look also watch videos and get back to you.

I did call into renault and speak to them .They said they hadnt come across this problem before and to check the fuses in the fuse board which i have done and are all ok now of course the medea sat nav /radio is asking for a code that i am trying to find in the paperwork i have.
I have only had the van 4 weeks

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I am sure your problem is due to the battery being dishcarged

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years

I have been out .I have no lights on dash at all with or without key in and turned.

When i get in by opening the door a picture of the van appears and the milage lights up that is all

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Ok will research further, your fault is definitely because of the battery discharge.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Invest in a obd reader. Sorry can’t help further. I suspect immobiliser lock out due to low voltage, or ecu playing up.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Thankyou to everyone for your help i have found the problem.

Or rather the problem of no dashboard lights i googled and someone had a video about there van had the same problem although they were calling there van a renault traffic but i am sure it was a master.
They simply disconnected the nuetral on the battery and reconnected it .

Although i had changed the battery during this fault finding process i had a 12v linked up all the time to save the radio from needing recodeing .

So now i have disconected that charge and removed the nuetral of the battery waited and reconnected and everything is as it should be all lights and starts .

again thanks if it wasnt for all your suggestions i would have given up and not persavered so cheers

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Invest in a obd reader. Sorry can’t help further. I suspect immobiliser lock out due to low voltage, or ecu playing up.
thanks for your help too and yes ECU glitch

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi I tried to post that but for some reason it didn't post, about 6 posts ago......

so glad you are sorted

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp

Or rather the problem of no dashboard lights i googled and someone had a video about there van had the same problem although they were calling there van a renault traffic but i am sure it was a master.

Although i had changed the battery during this fault finding process i had a 12v linked up all the time to save the radio from needing recodeing .

So now i have disconected that charge and removed the nuetral of the battery waited and reconnected and everything is as it should be all lights and starts .

again thanks if it wasnt for all your suggestions i would have given up and not persavered so cheers
Glad you got it fixed and always good to know the answer (y)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010

I am so glad you persevered and found the support of this forum helpful, it is always good to help an OP who may be feeling a bit down. Glad we could help you help yourself. All the best in your conversion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back