2008 Apache 634L Water Tank Problem (1 Viewer)

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I filled my water tank just now and either the harsh winter has done for the tank (I did drain it down but perhaps there was still some water left in it) or during filling, water is getting into the protective cover.

So I'm thinking either the tanks cracked or the filler pipe has perished meaning not all the water I'm putting in is going into the tank, some is leaking into the cover. The tank's holding water and the system is pressurising.

Any thoughts anyone?

cheers

d

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
The tank appears to sit inside a bund or protector. I'm wondering if this is catching water during filling. The tanks not emptying.

d

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• tank-cover.jpg
    tank-cover.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The tank appears to sit inside a bund or protector. I'm wondering if this is catching water during filling. The tanks not emptying.

d
Is that pipe shown on the picture the overflow pipe? If it is it should possibly be not tucked into the protective cover. If you are slightly over filling, the over spill looks to be going into the cover . This could create the water leaking that you are seeing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Agreed, but the tank's not full so nothing should be coming out of the overflow. Gonna ask the local garage to investigate. Take the cover off, see what's going on. It's either a cracked tank - which would surprise me - or a defective filler pipe or inspection "hatch" seal.

d

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Agreed, but the tank's not full so nothing should be coming out of the overflow. Gonna ask the local garage to investigate. Take the cover off, see what's going on. It's either a cracked tank - which would surprise me - or a defective filler pipe or inspection "hatch" seal.

d
If that’s the case it definitely needs a coat of looking at. It could be that some water is somehow finding its way down the overflow even though the tank isn’t full.
Do let us know what it turns out to be 🤞 it won’t be anything too expensive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Just drop the tank out and have a butchers, I have done it it's easy enough,
Ah OK. Any tips? I'll let the local garage do it. Can you confirm what I can see is a bund/protector? From memory is there anything on the tank that could have failed? A drain plug seal or something that would dump water into the bund? From what you're saying, if it does need replacing (apart from the bits/labour) it's not a massive undertaking? I ask because I have seen some pics on here where replacing the tank seemed to involve dismantling half the van :) A-class mainly I think.

cheers

d

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Looking again at your picture. Could the water be coming out of the drain pipe connection? If when you drained down there was water still in the drain connector it may have frozen then cracked the outlet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Yes, it could. I noticed I'd left the drainpipe in a pipe holder close to the tank that created a "U" between the outlet and the tank. We had temperatures down to -15 so anything in there would have been an issue. The valve was left open but I can see how the drain pipe could have been compromised.

d

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Fill the tank to a level, then put pencil mark on tank, and see if level drops. I doubt it will be a bunded tank, I’ve never seen that on any other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Fill the tank to a level, then put pencil mark on tank, and see if level drops. I doubt it will be a bunded tank, I’ve never seen that on any other.
I hear you but here's a view from the drainpipe side. Defo looks like some sort of tank protector or bund.

d

Attachments

• drain-pipe.jpg
    drain-pipe.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On mine it was just 4 nuts and bolts into the chassis, the filler pipe and a bracket on the emptying pipe.

Sorry talking out me arse as usual, I dropped the waste tank not the fresh water tank:oops2:

Apologies for the confusion. I will get back to me knitting now.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
I meant,is there a valve to drop a percentage of the water out of the tank for traveling.my last 2 vans have but can't remember if the Apache had one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I don't think so...I'm waiting for the garage to contact me to drop the van off so they can investigate.

d

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back