14.5vdc PSU for battery charging (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK so this is slightly out of the usual motorhome question but If you pardon the pun "I could find any where else to stick it".....

So this relates to a battery back up system for my aquarium, it does relate to my camper in that the more hours of autonomy we have = the further we can range form the house :)

So I use 4 x 12v sealed lead batteries as battery backups. These are made for the aquarium trade and used on pumps to keep things going if there's a power out. I have 4 of these which gives me around 20hrs coverage. The batteries need replacing so I've just sourced some replacement units for this however being the muppet that I am I have lost 2 of the power supply units to charge them...... on the ones that I still have they are marked as:

14.5vdc 1.6amp

and the batteries are

12vdc 18Ah

Going via the manufacturer only brings crazy priced PSU's so I'm looking to source some standard items and found some marked as follows:

15v 5A

Will the 15v vs the 14.5v be an issue ? as I can't find any low cost 14.5v items. The ones above are for laptop charging so although are for batteries there could be a difference in the lead vs lithium requirements ?

Help

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Probably a bit high but you can reduce the volts by putting a 10A diode in series with it. Drops about 0.7V per diode. Not the best solution but workable.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks, have had a look at these but they only have a 12v output which I would have thought is too low to charge that battery ?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK cheers, have ordered one so will try it out.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back