12v Motorhome Battery (1 Viewer)

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Good evening everybody, I am fairly new to this forum.
Can someone please advise if the leisure battery on my motorhome charges when mobile OR do I have to remove when in storage to charge at home?

Paul

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will charge off of the alternator when but if fairly flat it will take 200 to 300 miles driving to fully charge. When stationary if you are plugged into EHU it will charge from the mains.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Can someone please advise if the leisure battery on my motorhome charges when mobile
Yes it does. There are two charging methods.

Traditionally, a 'split charge relay' (an electrically operated switch) will automatically connect the leisure battery to the starter battery when the engine is running, and disconnects when the engine stops. The alternator charges both batteries as if they were one big battery.

The relay method doesn't work so well for the latest 'smart alternators', or if the battery is a different type to the starter battery. In that case, a device called a battery-to-battery (B2B) charger is used, which activates when the starter battery is being charged, and acts as a 'smart charger' to charge the leisure battery with the required voltage and amps. A B2B charger can also be called a 'booster'
do I have to remove when in storage to charge at home
In storage, both the leisure and starter batteries gradually discharge over a period of weeks, due to internal 'self-discharge' and the small drains due to alarm, tracker and other permanently connected electronics. This is a common recurring problem with motorhomes in storage. Solutions include connecting a mains electrical hookup (EHU), fitting a solar panel on the roof or inside the windscreen, or a short drive every few weeks. Or as you say, remove and charge at home.

OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Many thanks, my question has been answered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back