Fridge vents "bowing" outwards - doesn't make sense! (1 Viewer)

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all,

Hope someone with a more engineering mind can offer some advice on this. On our new motorhome both external fridge vents bow outwards. Please see the attached. Immediately think they are faulty, so got onto dealer, who sent me a replacement set. New ones (that are 100% flat/straight when not installed) are exactly the same.

In my simple mind this means that the connections they are attaching to must be too close together, but they look rectangular and installed correctly. It all clips in securely.

A bit of a conundrum.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Dealer has of course offered to take a look, but they are a long way away, and don't really want to do the journey if there is a simple fix!

All assistance appreciated as always.

Thanks
Dean

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 191
Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
I think you haven't clipped the bottom edge in correctly.
I fit by offering up the bottom first ensuring it clips in place then swinging it up to close at the top, then slide the clips across. Check and repeat if required.
The mating faces also need to be clean as the small tabs are easily deflected.
Jon

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for that. Will give it all a clean in the morning and reseat.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
As Jon says above...Look at your side on view at the bottom of the vent. It looks like its sitting away from the lip giving a gap impression? Possibly not quite sitting inside the lip itself ?

kev :unsure: (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I saw that once on our Swift and couldn't quite understand it. But I eventually realised that the bottom clips hadn't seated due to too much sealant being used. Cleaned out (most) of the sealant and they fitted perfectly.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks all, I have given it a good clean out this morning. All sealant removed from where the covers slot in.

Bottom one is still protruding. Looks to me like the Thetford frame is badly installed. Attached are pictures of the top and bottom frames. The top one (after cleaning out and re-seating) now looks fine with the cover on. The bottom one, still bows outwards. This is with brand new covers on.

Looks like a trip back to the dealers!

Comments welcome.

Thanks
Dean

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 103
Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
The top edge of the bottom cover looks to be well out of line and is not parallel to the decals (assuming that the decals are straight. Very poorly fitted. Needs removing and hole cutting properly, however, this needs to be done carefully (as it should have been in first instant!) so as not to allow water to get in.

OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
The top edge of the bottom cover looks to be well out of line and is not parallel to the decals (assuming that the decals are straight. Very poorly fitted. Needs removing and hole cutting properly, however, this needs to be done carefully (as it should have been in first instant!) so as not to allow water to get in.

Thanks Dalspa, as I suspected.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As Dalspa said, the base plate isn't installed properly so there's no way you're gonna get the cover to sit in it properly.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is worrying isn't it that someone can actually think it is acceptable? Surely they must look at these things?

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
It is worrying isn't it that someone can actually think it is acceptable? Surely they must look at these things?
Absolutely. The straight line was already in place with the decals, so all the fitter had to do was work to it. Probably drilled a series of holes and read them as Braille 🙀

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Def doesn't look right. I'd send the dealer the pics of the frame and see what they say.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That NCC approved sticker in the first picture doesn’t seem to cover building the motorhome properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigDean

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks all,

This is our first brand new motorhome, and I have to say, I am not convinced I would ever buy another one. There is very little quality control from either the manufacturer or the dealer.

And then trying to get warranty work done is a joke. The local dealer wanted to charge me ÂŁ50 to even file a claim with the manufacturer. I appreciate it was my decision to purchase from a dealer that was a long way away (because they were the ones that had the exact model I wanted in stock), but had no idea that the dealer you buy it from is the only one that would carry out warranty work.

For the amount of money these things cost, the industry is a disgrace.

I have emailed the dealer with the pictures and ask them to ask the manufacturer where they want us to take it to be repaired.

Thanks again.
Dean

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
All holes are probably pre cut before the side of van is installed, would need to take frame out and fill screw holes and then refix straight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back