Identify this tree please (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Our new bungalow came with a tip, I mean very neglected garden. Most of the shrubs have been removed by ianthebuilder and we're left with mostly Horsetail :mad: and a handful of shrubs we chose to keep.

This tree has probably self-seeded but we're minded to keep it as we like the look of it. However I don't know what it is and what size it will grow to. It looks a bit like an amelanchier but I don't think it's that.

DSC_0674.JPG

Can anyone identify it?

Also any tips for getting rid of Horsetail (or is it marestail? The invasive one that looks like something alien) It's absolutely everywhere.

Karen

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The problem getting rid of horsetail is when it comes up INBETWEEN other plants .. as you need to get every tiny piece of root... so wait wait wait and be patient before planting new plants. :)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I'm too impatient movan! I've been without a garden for 7 years now. I've started growing plants from seed even though I've got nowhere to put them yet.

We'll do what we can with the roots then a gardener told us that repeated hoeing will weaken it.

I've just dug up a few primroses to put into pots and I had to tease the Horsetail out from their roots. Nightmare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I feel for you with the horsetail we have it as well Max has taken up the front hedge to put a post and rail fence and on the pavement side there was loads of it it’s taken him forever to dig it all up and when he has a pile it goes straight to the local recycling centre (who said it was ok to take it there)
We’ve tried weed killer but it doesn’t seem to work just bought a weed burner so will try any escaped bits with that.
Max has just said apparently he’s been told that horsetail doesn’t like limes he is going to put that down before the weed control and stone chippings

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We had a horsetail problem in a neglected garden. It was a b@gger to get rid of, but eventually we did by pulling the roots out (as you probably know, the roots run along the ground and every so often a shoot comes out through the ground). Pulling the bit you can see out doesn't really do anything.

We also spent some time putting nutrients back into the soil, as I am led to beleive that the weed thrives in poor soil. So improving the soil also helped get rid of the problem.

Then we moved. And started again, this time with bind weed :mad:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Try painting liquid glysophate onto the stem of the weed. Bruise the stem first and do it early autumn when it stops growing. The theory is that as the weed retreats for winter it draws the glysophate further into the root. Best of luck whatever.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks. We couldn't even begin to estimate how many stems there are. We're going to use a three pronged attack - hoeing, chemical warfare and removing roots when we're digging the soil which we have to do. Every time we lift a paving slab there's a mass of roots underneath :(

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
My Alimanchier does not look like that its just come into flower
31172191_10216493339952500_6314320542725609732_n.jpg

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I had horse tail on an allotment. It was well manured and fertilised and the horse tail thrived, so improving the soil may not work. A friend on @ neighbouring allotment decided to try to dig his out, he got down 6 feet or more and still the root went down
In the end, I gave up the allotment, no matter what I did, it came back.
Good luck with yours!

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I had horse tail on an allotment. It was well manured and fertilised and the horse tail thrived, so improving the soil may not work. A friend on @ neighbouring allotment decided to try to dig his out, he got down 6 feet or more and still the root went down
In the end, I gave up the allotment, no matter what I did, it came back.
Good luck with yours!

Well we can't give up our garden, we've only just moved in :D

We're resigned to a long fight. I did read of someone who experimented with 3 beds and found the best result with growing parsnips for 3 years. I want a small veg plot but not a garden full of parsnips.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Well we can't give up our garden, we've only just moved in :D

We're resigned to a long fight. I did read of someone who experimented with 3 beds and found the best result with growing parsnips for 3 years. I want a small veg plot but not a garden full of parsnips.
I heard parsnip wine is very good......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back