Dreamer Living Van (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
I was surprised when you mentioned a 5.1kg gas bottle for the Dreamer Living Van, but checking the spec that is exactly what the brochure indicates. I can only assume it is a size available in France, but as to the dimensions I can't assist. I suspect if you're unable get to see and measure one in the flesh, so to speak, an enquiry to Rapido/Dreamer should elicit the answer, so you can determine whether a standard UK 6kg bottle can be installed. If so, it would be straightforward to use a refillable cylinder. An alternative could be addition of an underslung tank. You can get 4.5kg exchange propane gas bottles in the UK - not sure about refillable?

Thinking that 5.1kg is a small capacity for a French-converted van - many can handle 1 or 2 x 11kg bottles - but I see space heating in the Living van is fuelled by diesel, and the fridge is a compressor design, so presumably the gas supply is for cooking only.
Thanks. Yes, the gas is only for cooking, given the diesel heating. I'm trying to work out what can be secured bottle-wise here in the UK for this van. I will email the manufacturers and find out. I just hoped someone on the network was an owner of such vehicle and could advise what they have used.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks. Yes, the gas is only for cooking, given the diesel heating. I'm trying to work out what can be secured bottle-wise here in the UK for this van. I will email the manufacturers and find out. I just hoped someone on the network was an owner of such vehicle and could advise what they have used.
Totally understand that, and obviously handy if someone here does have a Dreamer Living van.

You can get a Safefill refillable 5kg propane gas bottle. It is one that has to be disconnected to fill it, but otherwise looks good. I guess it would have the advantage it would be easy to put in the boot of the car to get filled before a trip in the van, if that was more convenient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 8, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Yeah, that would be a good idea. Is there a way of determining the size of those bottle, to ensure this can be fitted into the locker in the van

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yeah, that would be a good idea. Is there a way of determining the size of those bottle, to ensure this can be fitted into the locker in the van
Sizes of the Safefill bottles here - opps, see that's the same link - look carefully and there's a drop down box for the technical specs :

Specifications​

5kg Cylinder7.5kg Cylinder10kg Cylinder
Height (mm)396482583
Diameter (mm)310310310
Empty Weight (kg)3.44.15
LPG Capacity (approx litres) at 80% max fill level8.514.519.5
Propane Capacity (kg)57.510
Water Content (L)12.518.224.5

Upvote 0
Jul 8, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Sizes of the Safefill bottles here - opps, see that's the same link - look carefully and there's a drop down box for the technical specs :

Specifications​

5kg Cylinder7.5kg Cylinder10kg Cylinder
Height (mm)396482583
Diameter (mm)310310310
Empty Weight (kg)3.44.15
LPG Capacity (approx litres) at 80% max fill level8.514.519.5
Propane Capacity (kg)57.510
Water Content (L)12.518.224.5
Thank you, just need to find the size of the locker now and will email the dealership. The French 'twiny' 5.1kg bottle is only 310mm high.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you, just need to find the size of the locker now and will email the dealership. The French 'twiny' 5.1kg bottle is only 310mm high.
Make sure you get the size of the locker aperture/opening too so that you can get it in. When we had an Autocruise Accent I was told it would only take small 6kg refillable but I was determined get in our existing 11kg Gaslow refillable in as the locker was high and wide enough but the door opening wasn't so I had to resort to a lump hammer on the base/stand which was a couple of mm too wide (the cylinder itself was narrower) so that I could get it in, this was with the door aperture seal removed too ... at least when we changed vans it came out without any further mods!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Did you have any luck sourcing a suitable gas cylinder for the Dreamer? We are on the point of odering one.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Just wondering if you ended up buying the Dreamer living in the end, as we are currently looking at them too and trying to find some user reviews. It looks nice quality online but bit concerned as been referred to a lot in this thread as budget. Have not been able to see this model in the flesh but saw same brand different model yesterday and it looked good quality. Our other shortlist is the Adria Sport SGX to get 4 berth, has drop down bed but no Lounge. We want to go away in colder weather too so thinking Lounge area will be an asset then.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Just wondering if you ended up buying the Dreamer living in the end, as we are currently looking at them too and trying to find some user reviews. It looks nice quality online but bit concerned as been referred to a lot in this thread as budget. Have not been able to see this model in the flesh but saw same brand different model yesterday and it looked good quality. Our other shortlist is the Adria Sport SGX to get 4 berth, has drop down bed but no Lounge. We want to go away in colder weather too so thinking Lounge area will be an asset then.
We have placed and order for the Dreamer Living Van yes. We have had the opportunity to view a number of Dreamer Vans at Highbridge, of different configurations to our choice as well as the Living variant itself. Comparing them to other converters they are certainly not budget and we have done 2 years of research.
The Living variant with the A class style pull down double at the front is just way ahead in the PVC world. Every inch of the van is used to the maximum. The rear lounge as well just makes the whole unit a very user friendly van for daily use as a self contained base or for extended touring within relatively compact extended PVC dimensions. Leave the Lounge made up as a permanent double if you wish when doing daily hops between stops. Delivery however is a bit of a lottery!

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dreamer
We have placed and order for the Dreamer Living Van yes. We have had the opportunity to view a number of Dreamer Vans at Highbridge, of different configurations to our choice as well as the Living variant itself. Comparing them to other converters they are certainly not budget and we have done 2 years of research.
The Living variant with the A class style pull down double at the front is just way ahead in the PVC world. Every inch of the van is used to the maximum. The rear lounge as well just makes the whole unit a very user friendly van for daily use as a self contained base or for extended touring within relatively compact extended PVC dimensions. Leave the Lounge made up as a permanent double if you wish when doing daily hops between stops. Delivery however is a bit of a lottery!
We've placed an order for exactly the same reasons you've stated, nothing else ticked as many boxes.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
We've placed an order for exactly the same reasons you've stated, nothing else ticked as many boxes.
Thankyou for posting. Our delivery is mid April, it will be interesting to share feedback. We went for Maxi 4250 chassis, 160hp and the new Autobox, plus a few of the added upgrades.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dreamer
Thankyou for posting. Our delivery is mid April, it will be interesting to share feedback. We went for Maxi 4250 chassis, 160hp and the new Autobox, plus a few of the added upgrades.
Ours is a lot more standard spec than yours, standard chassis, 140 bhp, manual, grey, comfort pack. I have several bits to add very soon after delivery including awning, solar, b2b charger, WiFi, TV aerial, lithium batteries. Hoping for delivery Q1, expecting Q2, will be irritated if I have to wait long into Q3!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Ours is a lot more standard spec than yours, standard chassis, 140 bhp, manual, grey, comfort pack. I have several bits to add very soon after delivery including awning, solar, b2b charger, WiFi, TV aerial, lithium batteries. Hoping for delivery Q1, expecting Q2, will be irritated if I have to wait long into Q3!
140bhp by all accounts I have read is fine. I might need to tow so have upgraded but it's expensive for what is essentially a chip upgrade. I am a new convert to Auto's and it just makes driving makes so much more pleasurable so have gone for it but again a significant cost option but it has great reviews. Dealer is supplying and fitting a windout awning as part of the deal. All other additions you mention I am considering too but have decided to use the van for a bit before deciding. Do like a bit of TV so have bought one of these which gets well reviewed as an interim measure and works well in the house.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjEs_7169z0AhWIre0KHdu_ALsYABAJGgJkZw&ae=2&sig=AOD64_0nJ__OamwJLkbJ8hv7dX4BuRCfhg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwigtvX169z0AhWBilwKHSPSAqwQ9aACegQIARBA&adurl=

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had a quick shuftie at the Dream Van range, they don't have a lot of payload so upgrading to 3850 on the light chassis is likely to be needed and registering the 4250 heavy chassis at the higher rate (rather than 3500kg which the dealer may do unless you agree otherwise) is likely needed as well.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dreamer
Just had a quick shuftie at the Dream Van range, they don't have a lot of payload so upgrading to 3850 on the light chassis is likely to be needed and registering the 4250 heavy chassis at the higher rate (rather than 3500kg which the dealer may do unless you agree otherwise) is likely needed as well.

PVCs generally have poor payloads, getting rid of the normal batteries and adding lithium would help slightly. Is it worth going for a C1 licence? Sounds expensive?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
PVCs generally have poor payloads, getting rid of the normal batteries and adding lithium would help slightly.
The problem is that the usable storage space is usually in the centre and rear whereas the batteries are generally at the front so any saving there often doesn't make much difference to your 'usable' payload as it's difficult to 'max' out the front axle. What you really need to know for the light chassis is the overall weight and each axle's existing weight when unloaded then you can try to work out if the remaining capacity on the rear (but sticking within the overall weight) is sufficient for you to carry what you want to and whether you need to uprate in order to do so along with adding semi-air suspension on the rear and possibly uprating all the tyres too. With the heavy chassis you wouldn't need to change the tyres or add semi-air as the chassis is already capable of carrying the extra weight so you'd just need to uprate it (paper exercise).

Is it worth going for a C1 licence? Sounds expensive?
A C1 will cost £1,000+ and you have to do quite a lot of both practical and theoretical work for it, and I'm not sure what the waiting time is for a test date now due to shortages of examiners.

It might be an idea to get the dealer to weigh one including each axle so you can think about it now and make any necessary plans to make sure you can use it as you want to.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dreamer
Anyone got a photo to the roof of the Living Van? I'm interested in what constraints there may be to the dimensions of solar panel(s) I may have.

Upvote 0

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
The problem is that the usable storage space is usually in the centre and rear whereas the batteries are generally at the front so any saving there often doesn't make much difference to your 'usable' payload as it's difficult to 'max' out the front axle. What you really need to know for the light chassis is the overall weight and each axle's existing weight when unloaded then you can try to work out if the remaining capacity on the rear (but sticking within the overall weight) is sufficient for you to carry what you want to and whether you need to uprate in order to do so along with adding semi-air suspension on the rear and possibly uprating all the tyres too. With the heavy chassis you wouldn't need to change the tyres or add semi-air as the chassis is already capable of carrying the extra weight so you'd just need to uprate it (paper exercise).

A C1 will cost £1,000+ and you have to do quite a lot of both practical and theoretical work for it, and I'm not sure what the waiting time is for a test date now due to shortages of examiners.

It might be an idea to get the dealer to weigh one including each axle so you can think about it now and make any necessary plans to make sure you can use it as you want to.
Do you need to do the extra test now? Hasn't it just been added onto everyone's licenses?

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I have to completely agree with Minxy and all the others who have said 4 people and two dogs is just too much to ask any PVC to take. If you don't hire one first and experience some bad weather while you have it you could be making a very expensive mistake. 2 adults and one dog is plenty for any PVC.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have to completely agree with Minxy and all the others who have said 4 people and two dogs is just too much to ask any PVC to take. If you don't hire one first and experience some bad weather while you have it you could be making a very expensive mistake. 2 adults and one dog is plenty for any PVC.
At a pinch you could do it in the Campscout Revolution.
Two double bunks at the rear for humans and the large area under the beds for the dogs. Plus you can plate up to 4700 kg with correct tyres and suspension.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
webp

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Is the lack of gas bottle storage not going to be an issue with multi occupancy? Not going to last that long if using in winter surely?

Mind you, I've no experience with pvc's hence my question?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Is the lack of gas bottle storage not going to be an issue with multi occupancy? Not going to last that long if using in winter surely?

On the Dreamer Living Van the gas is only used for the 2 ring gas hob. Fridge is Compressor and Heat and Hotwater is from a Diesel heater.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Depends on the model but our Globecars had lockers big enough for 2 large refillables (11kg) with space to spare.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back