Greater Manchester tax on Motorhomes and campers (2 Viewers)

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Has it not been on your local TV News (I found reports from the MEN)?
A zone is proposed for Tyneside and that has received a significant amount of coverage on local news programmes.
I don't know anyone personally who has watched "normal" TV for years, youtube and Netflix has taken over. I've heard no mention of it on local radio and we have had no leaflets sent.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Another case of councils having no option but to follow the law of the land implemented by central government. Don't blame councils for what they are forced to do.
They were told to bring in this zone, it could have been a much smaller area based on central Manchester but they saw the opportunity to make a fortune by extending it over all of Greater Manchester.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Spotted the first sign for it last week on the road into Manchester šŸ˜•

The cloud one off this pic, no mention of camera yet

While it's great to reduce pollution I don't agree with the charge in such a massive area. Central Manchester like Londons ULEZ maybe

Image-CAZMAP-01.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They were told to bring in this zone, it could have been a much smaller area based on central Manchester but they saw the opportunity to make a fortune by extending it over all of Greater Manchester.
Look at the CAZ map. As mentioned yesterday, several of the pollution hotspots occur outside the M60, never mind just central Manchester. That is why some trunk roads (which would normally be excluded because they are National Highways roads) have been included.
It's about cutting pollution, not making money.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know anyone personally who has watched "normal" TV for years, youtube and Netflix has taken over. I've heard no mention of it on local radio and we have had no leaflets sent.
If people aren't interested in local news sources it isn't a surprise that they miss local news stories.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Look at the CAZ map. As mentioned yesterday, several of the pollution hotspots occur outside the M60, never mind just central Manchester. That is why some trunk roads (which would normally be excluded because they are National Highways roads) have been included.
It's about cutting pollution, not making money.
Yes it may cut pollution but itā€™s more about the opportunity to make money.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If people aren't interested in local news sources it isn't a surprise that they miss local news stories.
Most evening we watch the local news on itv then turn over for the local news on bbc, donā€™t remember any stories coming up about the zone, it will probably report on it after the event has occurred.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If something is bad surely it should be banned not taxed by way of a fine, or would that mean it would not be an earner for them.
Donā€™t ban anything when thereā€™s an opportunity to tax it and make money.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most evening we watch the local news on itv then turn over for the local news on bbc, donā€™t remember any stories coming up about the zone, it will probably report on it after the event has occurred.
As I said before, I'm surprised as the equivalent Tyneside proposals have been well aired on local news.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I suspect over the coming decade the whole country will be a LEZ or ULEZ as we are ā€˜encouragedā€™ to move to electric vehicles.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Have you also missed the news of climate change? ;) :giggle:
Seen plenty of COP (out) 26, where they will make lots of promises but deliver very little in the end.

Itā€™s amazing that the world is nearing the end according to the protesters.
They will still be protesting the same thing in 200 years.

And yes Iā€™m very cynical that theyā€™ll only do things that will make money for themselves.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Has it not been on your local TV News (I found reports from the MEN)?
A zone is proposed for Tyneside and that has received a significant amount of coverage on local news programmes.
I don't know anyone personally who has watch "normal" TV for years, youtube and Netflix has taken over. I've heard no mention of it on local radio and we have had no leaflets sent.
You are having a laugh!! the only stories the MEN and local TV news are interested in are those that effect central Manchester, Salford and the northern boroughs. They have never reported on any issues that effect my area and there are a lot! Hence why there is no point watching/reading them!

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
A lot of things are being imposed on us. The Swiss have a more democratic system involving local and national referendums. It at least makes the politicians explain and convince the electorate that what they want to do is in everyoneā€™s interests.
In the next few years we are going to face many changes to our lives and there is a feeling we have no say in those changes.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
So will cost me a few quid to drive in and out. Still cheaper than upgrading to a new ( and last ever developed ) euro6 diesel.

Decided to run our ā€˜dirtyā€ diseals - with lowish CO2 emissions ( cos Uk Govt encouraged me ) , until I can afford an (hydrogen) electric car and also trust the apparent chaotic recharging system that is developing.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think better results are achieved with the carrot and the stick, but now it seems that the chosen few get carrots and the rest just beaten with the stick and thatā€™s on all matters.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are having a laugh!! the only stories the MEN and local TV news are interested in are those that effect central Manchester, Salford and the northern boroughs. They have never reported on any issues that effect my area and there are a lot! Hence why there is no point watching/reading them!
I just did a quick Google and found a few BBC local news reports, and even something from the Warrington Guardian :)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
To be fair I watch the local news, listen to BBC local radio ( Leeds) and read ( online) the local daily paper and I've just learned on here that Bradford ( I live in Kirklees) is having one from Jan 1st.

That includes the outer ring road which I find a bit bizarre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To be fair I watch the local news, listen to BBC local radio ( Leeds) and read ( online) the local daily paper and I've just learned on here that Bradford ( I live in Kirklees) is having one from Jan 1st.

That includes the outer ring road which I find a bit bizarre.
It has been reported. A few examples from months ago found very quickly:

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I just did a quick Google and found a few BBC local news reports, and even something from the Warrington Guardian :)
How could I google for something I know nothing about unless I saw it on MHF? I've spoken to friends and neighbours and none of them had heard about it till the signs went up last week and I'm not talking about a few people it was a lot!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How could I google for something I know nothing about unless I saw it on MHF? I've spoken to friends and neighbours and none of them had heard about it till the signs went up last week and I'm not talking about a few people it was a lot!
I posted in answer to your point "They have never reported on any issues that effect my area".
The fact that reports exists contradicts that :)

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I posted in answer to your point "They have never reported on any issues that effect my area".
The fact that reports exists contradicts that :)
And the fact no one I know in my area knows about it proves the level of communication was inadequate!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I find it incomprehensible that none of these schemes (London, Manchester etc.) could not and did not provide for existing residents with existing non-compliant vehicles to have some limited free access to their properties with their vehicles, say 5 times a year.

The pollution impact would be minimal, compared say with the pollution impact of manufacturing a new vehicle to comply with minimum access requirements.

My argument does differ according to the Emissions Zone access rates, i.e Ā£10 for Manchester as opposed to Ā£100 for London (both one-way)

Geoff

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I find it incomprehensible that none of these schemes (London, Manchester etc.) could not and did not provide for existing residents with existing non-compliant vehicles to have some limited free access to their properties with their vehicles, say 5 times a year.

The pollution impact would be minimal, compared say with the pollution impact of manufacturing a new vehicle to comply with minimum access requirements.

My argument does differ according to the Emissions Zone access rates, i.e Ā£10 for Manchester as opposed to Ā£100 for London (both one-way)

Geoff
I made that argument to both Livingstone and Johnson when the London zone was being brought in but neither was interested.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
If nobody at all in the area knows then I would agree. One would have to ask them all to be sure though :wink:
This is getting boring. No one i have spoken to had any idea what the signs that have gone up were for. No one I know has seen anything about this in the media. It has been very quietly brought in with minimum publicity. There should have been consultation and leaflet drops about it. The Highways Agency did and does regular leaflets about the stupid m6 "smart" motorway so it can be done if they want people to know.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
This is getting boring. No one i have spoken to had any idea what the signs that have gone up were for. No one I know has seen anything about this in the media. It has been very quietly brought in with minimum publicity. There should have been consultation and leaflet drops about it. The Highways Agency did and does regular leaflets about the stupid m6 "smart" motorway so it can be done if they want people to know.
Totally agree with you, hardly anybody I know knew anything about what is happening, donā€™t get me going on the ā€œsmartā€ motorway, just hope I never break down on it.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Dint know if this has been mentioned/ discussed. But just been looking at official site for lez manchester. If your van is over 20yrs old and smokes, guzzles gas, and stinks with occasion bank misfire etc etc its FREE as its over 20yr old. Just great let's trade in and get 1998 models.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back