lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have a week off starting next Friday and thinking of visiting Norfolk area, any recommendations for must do and see places. We enjoy a bit of cycling so a site near some quiet roads or cycle paths would be ideal, we also prefer CL sites to large commercial sites.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Even though I live here I love escaping to the North Norfolk coast. The stretch between Sheringham and Hunstanton has some great coastal walks, lovely little towns and villages. In the Brancaster, Titchwell area some great birdwatching on the salt marshes, huge open beaches, and some excellent pubs and restaurants. You could do worse than staying at Burnham Deepdale. It’s not cheap, but it’s an excellent site. Good facilities, but not commercial.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Breck Farm CL is a gem on Cycle Route 1 Marriots Way. Nearby is the Station (CL NR9 5AA) which is actually on the cycleway.) The Sidings CL is another NR10 4BW
Cycle in to Norwich.
Marriots Way (Aylesham, Reepham etc) is a must for cyclists visiting Norfolk. The Old Vicarage Gardens at East Ruston are worth a visit but they won't be at their best at this time of year.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We have a week off starting next Friday and thinking of visiting Norfolk area, any recommendations for must do and see places. We enjoy a bit of cycling so a site near some quiet roads or cycle paths would be ideal, we also prefer CL sites to large commercial sites.
Hi Gerry we too are looking for somewhere down there, just for 3 nights starting Thursday, but we’ll have the dog so no cycling will be involved, unless val sends me to the chippy😂😂

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry we too are looking for somewhere down there, just for 3 nights starting Thursday, but we’ll have the dog so no cycling will be involved, unless val sends me to the chippy😂😂
Hi Ady, will your friend with the Carthago be joining you :rofl: :rofl:. Let us know where you end up and you can buy me a pint, we had a look at sites before posting and like the sound of the Station one. We might be bringing Toby so will have to tire him out before any cycling, we will make our decision on Tuesday once we done a final check of the forecast.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We also had one of the best Chinese takeaways ever at Jasmin Camping, from memory the restaurant was called Delight… Jim ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
lorger. Unfortunately Gerry, you'll have missed the C&CC THSs along the coast, which make great bases for exploring, ie, Hunstanton, Wells Next The Sea, Sheringham, and Cromer.
There is (or was), a CAMC Farm CL close to Wells, and 2 x excellent Chippies by the harbour.

The whole area is beautiful, especially if the weather is in your favour. (y)

Good luck,

Jock. :)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi Ady, will your friend with the Carthago be joining you :rofl: :rofl:. Let us know where you end up and you can buy me a pint, we had a look at sites before posting and like the sound of the Station one. We might be bringing Toby so will have to tire him out before any cycling, we will make our decision on Tuesday once we done a final check of the forecast.
Me and my friend with the Carthago are now happily joined at the hip :rofl:
The forecast for Norfolk are isn’t too bad over the weekend. That said we could end up in the Peak District or even at Jim’s (if he’s got room, as it’s always sunny there).

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Mill Farm CL on the western edge of Wells (opposite the former Cottage Hospital - now the Heritage Day Care Centre) is handy for cycling into Holkam Hall grounds. Turn right coming out of CL and go a couple of hundred yards to bend in road and go straight over onto a gravel road leading into the grounds. Superb cycling in the grounds and back roads if exiting via the back gates or if leaving via front entrance (main) go straight over the main road down towards beach and follow track to the right through the woods towards Pinwoods Campsite and back into Wells. Great area for biking.
The Farm site is probably the one that Jock JockandRita was referring to.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

This is a lovely quiet site. We were visited every evening by a couple of hares. Hunstanton is a quintessential seaside town. We prefer Old Hunstanton, you can park a motorhome on the road, overlooking the sea, for free.

This is a cheaper option, we loved it here. You’re close to Blakeney and Morston Quay. We did the famous seal trip and really enjoyed it. Cley next the sea is a very pretty village, the smoke house and deli are well worth a visit. We ate in The George and Dragon, excellent! Cley village hall has a free car park.

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Lit
Little Hunstanton,Wells by the sea

Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1988
If you have any interest in the Broads area :-

The Ferry House pub Surlingham. Free overnighting at the side of the river in the overspill car park providing you have a few beers or a meal. They also do excellent breakfasts. Elec is available for around a fiver. No services as such but I think water was possible.

A great CL at Rowan Craft marina in Geldeston. The Wherry Inn, literally across the road does good meals and has several real ales available . The area is quiet with lots of good walking and it’s not far to cycle into a Beccles if you want more choice of shops etc. Saw lots of great wildlife while staying here including Owls and Kingfishers.

Willoways & Diodara CL at Burgh Castle. Very quiet and friendly CL. Some lovely walks especially around the ruins of Burgh Castle and along the river. Stunning views over the River Yare and Waveney.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020

This is a lovely quiet site. We were visited every evening by a couple of hares. Hunstanton is a quintessential seaside town. We prefer Old Hunstanton, you can park a motorhome on the road, overlooking the sea, for free.

This is a cheaper option, we loved it here. You’re close to Blakeney and Morston Quay. We did the famous seal trip and really enjoyed it. Cley next the sea is a very pretty village, the smoke house and deli are well worth a visit. We ate in The George and Dragon, excellent! Cley village hall has a free car park.
You can also sit looking out to sea on the east coast in Hunstanton watching the sun set. It faces west across The Wash

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The Crab Shack at Brancaster Staithe is not to be missed
lorger. Definitely not Gerry, having made a specific effort to dine there ourselves a few weeks ago. (y)

1633330581585.jpeg

1633330638369.jpeg

The Farm site is probably the one that Jock @JockandRita was referring to.
That's the very one thanks. (y)

How long did you say you were in Norfolk for? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if youre a cider drinker (lots of different ciders), the Lord Nelson Pub (just north of Great Yarmouth) allows free overnight parking on hard standing - they do decent pub food aswell ( well the pie and chips i had were pretty good for the price) plenty of walks from there including one down to the sea, even though its around 30 mins ... dogs are allowed inside the pub aswell

i assume midweek its pretty quiet. dont be put off by its looks outside, the staff are really friendly and its a proper pub, off the beaten track !

JockandRita also recommended a stop over at a very popular marina on the broads, but we were too big, they could only take vans up to 6.5m i think

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Just got back from Norfolk. Dannys Paddock CL at Ludham and The Midden CL at Wells next the Sea are both good. The latter has it's own request stop for the light railway. Avoid Snettisham. Height barriers at both The Beach car park and RSPB.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
You could do worse than staying at Burnham Deepdale. It’s not cheap, but it’s an excellent site. Good facilities, but not commercial.
The cafe's gone to pot, though. London prices, and the new leaseholder seems to think that the only alternative to a full-meat breakfast is a vegan breakfast - seriously?! And the coffee's always been second-rate; they've been buying burnt beans for as long as I can remember. On the plus side, though, they did have petrol yesterday.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
We stayed at the sandringham c&mc site (club prices afraid) after the thaxted bash and there are some good walks through the estate not sure about bikes. If the weather is against you a wander around Kings Lynn is worthwhile, interesting old town and surprisingly big. Austin St East car park has some longer bays

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Felbrigg Hall is a lovely place to visit. Plenty of good parking for all sizes of MH, and the house and grounds are beautiful. Very nice tea shop too.

The North Norfolk Railway (The Poppy Line) is also well worth visiting. I parked in Sheringham and took the train along to Holt. The weather was foul but it was still a very enjoyable trip. The stations as well as the trains are interesting and very photogenic.

Norwich is a city worth exploring. I especially love the Cathedral and surrounds. The building itself is majestic, I like to walk the Labyrinth in the cloisters, and the refectory there is superb. I parked at the P&R and caught the bus into the city.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back