EU Residents with Permanent Residence Permits and Schengen (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Are you sure?

True story - This was one of the considerations of one of my work colleagues at the time of the In/Out vote :oops:
Just shows people’s priorities and irrationality around decision making, but then again whoever said humans were rational.

Yes we will still have the National Lottery and Euro millions 👍😎

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
If your spouse is an eu state national then they are entitled to move freely and you can go with them with or without a residence permit.
If you have no residence permit (just your UK passport) there is a xx day limit in that country(local country specific law but usually 90 days) and you have to leave that country but not schengen area. Provided you are travelling with your spouse you can return on the 92nd day for another xx days limit.

Please can I test if I understand what you are saying with a working example.

My wife is an Irish passport holder and lives with me in the UK. As an Irish passport holder she is, I believe, exempt from restrictions on travel (90/180) that I as a UK passport holder will have as at 1st Jan 2021.

Are you suggesting that say if we drive from UK to Spain and stay there for 90 days, that as long as we cross a border (say into France/Portugal) that the 90 day clock would reset for me as I am with my spouse who is EU and therefore has an implicit right to travel?

Assuming I have understood your point correctly, where can I consume this fact please?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Carpmart Yep!
There was a thread on here some time ago from a New Zealand guy (If i remember correctly) who was married to a EU national.
Each EU country has it's own duration of stay rules but they are mostly 90 days especially if schengen.
Think u would obviously need proof that u were out of the country for a calendar day and you need to be travelling with your eu national wife.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• EU-Regulation-2016-399.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 27
  • Directive-2004-38-EC.pdf
    403.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Please can I test if I understand what you are saying with a working example.

My wife is an Irish passport holder and lives with me in the UK. As an Irish passport holder she is, I believe, exempt from restrictions on travel (90/180) that I as a UK passport holder will have as at 1st Jan 2021.

Are you suggesting that say if we drive from UK to Spain and stay there for 90 days, that as long as we cross a border (say into France/Portugal) that the 90 day clock would reset for me as I am with my spouse who is EU and therefore has an implicit right to travel?

Assuming I have understood your point correctly, where can I consume this fact please?

If you are married to an Irish passport holder are you not able to also get an Irish passport to save you worrying?

Geoff

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you are married to an Irish passport holder are you not able to also get an Irish passport to save you worrying?

Geoff

It's only applicable via the hereditary line now. We have a number of close friends whereby the husband(s) has an Irish PP but the spouses are Brit (Eng) with no Irish connection so the wives are not entitled to the Irish PP.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Geoff

sadly not. I checked a couple of years back and I would have to have been resident in Ireland for 36 months in the last 48 months to qualify. ☹️

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Carpmart Yep!
There was a thread on here some time ago from a New Zealand guy (If i remember correctly) who was married to a EU national.
Each EU country has it's own duration of stay rules but they are mostly 90 days especially if schengen.
Think u would obviously need proof that u were out of the country for a calendar day and you need to be travelling with your eu national wife.

That’s absolutely bloody fantastic news!!! Absolutely made my day/week/month/year!!! 🥳

This appears to give me the ability to continue to travel in a manner that I would do today, post the end of the transition period, so anywhere in Schengen zone as often and as frequently as I wish, as long as I don’t exceed specific country stay durations, which frankly exist today but are largely ignored. The wife has just become significantly more valuable to our travel plans! 😜

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I think you will find that schengen and eu travel are somewhat different.
What I posted relates to EU state citizens traveling freely in EU states.
Not all the countries in schengen are EU states and not all eu states are in schengen.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think you will find that schengen and eu travel are somewhat different.
What I posted relates to EU state citizens traveling freely in EU states.
Not all the countries in schengen are EU states and not all eu states are in schengen.

yes I fully accept and acknowledge this point..

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
I've just received a letter (to be accurate our house has) which contains an urgent message from the Business Secretary (he signs himself as The Rt Hon Alok Sharma MP).

He urges me to act now to avoid my business operations being disrupted.

Either the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (I didn't know we had one - strategy that is - not Department?) aren't in touch with HMRC (we closed our business 2 years ago) OR this letter has been sent to every property in the land.

So, for those of you who won't receive this letter ('cos you're abroad or of no fixed abode etc) "you can find out what you need to do by going to gov.uk/action-2021"

To be serious, the website that you're directed to is a good "home -page" for anyone who's interested in what happens after the 31st December (e.g. advice about travelling, living and working in the EU) but a quick skim revealed that the text contains lots of "maybes" and "mights".

Thankfully, I am no longer in business - but if I were (with only 40 odd days to go) I would have many more emotions than anxiety. There are times when I wish I had the "Que sera - sera! mentality, but I haven't.

P.S. I've just read that "Que sera - sera" means cheerful fatalism.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Just received this :-

You previously signed up to receive updates to the ‘Visit Europe after Brexit’ topic on GOV.UK. This topic is no longer being used, so you will not receive email updates for it.
Go to GOV.UK to get a personalised list of actions instead and subscribe to email updates to find out when things change.

To continue to receive updates (which I appreciate because they come "from the horse's mouth") I've created a Gov.UK account. This involved the usual creation of passwords and a mobile number -
which were checked by me (confirming them using a texted security code.)

Interesting interview with the UK Transport Minister on the radio this morning. From after December 2nd you MAY travel abroad - followed by ifs and buts. (From after - about - 08:10 on Radio 4 if you want to hear it.)

I assume that Funsters can't leave the country at the moment - will there be a rush from the 3rd December to get in before the 31st ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back