Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
While on the road this week in my truck i noticed that the Customs and Excise men were out checking for vehicles using "red diesel" since the recent price hikes in fuel costs
as if anybody would stoop so low :RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
So what colour fuel dye are we using next week guys?

And you think I'm joking.

It is available.

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just as well none of my vehicles are diesel then:winky::roflmto:

Mind you i did like Esso Blue:winky:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Spare a thought for the poor boat owners! Diesel on a marina costs only about 0.39 per litre at the moment. The EU has forced the UK government into banning the sale of red diesel for marine use.

With petrol on sale at about £1.30 a litre, it is anyones guess what "Normal diesel will end up costing on a marina.

No fun when you think that a medium sized boat can hold 1000 litres!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Link Removed

[SIZE=-1]They asked me how I knew It was Esso Blue I of course replied With lower grades one buys Smoke gets in your eyes.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Has anyone ever been stopped and checked. In all my years of driving I have never been stopped and checked.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Not here?I guess they may be more interested in targeting vehicles like Land Rovers, Horse and other animal Transporters and Hauliers.

L

lonelywanderer

Deleted User
By 2010 it looks likely that red diesel will be no more, all operators will have to use road derv then claim the tax concession back, if they can prove that the fuel has been used for a allowed usage, so all the thefts and misuse of gas oil ( red diesel) wll be a thing of the past

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
Who remembers Esso Blue and the ads for it?

I've got a cold house
Why don't you heat it?
My heater's empty - I think (Darn it this is for the other one isn't it... Oh well I've started so I'll finish)
Why don't you fill it then?
I'm out of paraffin
Well here's the answer - Ring for Pink!
Can I afford it?
Most economical - only a penny per hour
That's fine! - Now can you tell me who will deliver it?
The dealer where you see this sign, see this sign, see this sign

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I better stop adding REDEX to the fuel then:roflmto:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Has anyone ever been stopped and checked. In all my years of driving I have never been stopped and checked.

I have been, I think it was about two years ago, close to Hartlepool marina, I thought it would never happened but it did, so if you are using red diesel, beware.

Ralph

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
2 million

A company that I used to work for had massive fines (personal for the Financial Director and the MD. They were alleged to have recieved 1 million fine each!!:ROFLMAO::cry:
Hense, the company went bust and took a lot of owner drivers down at the same time:cry:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Quite a few years ago I had to go for an appointment with the VAT inspectors
Our accountant and I were kept under lock and key at their office whilst the inspector went off to check his papers. Apparently it is "standard procedure".

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
By 2010 it looks likely that red diesel will be no more, all operators will have to use road derv then claim the tax concession back, if they can prove that the fuel has been used for a allowed usage, so all the thefts and misuse of gas oil ( red diesel) wll be a thing of the past

hi have you any facts to back that up?? theres rumoirs going around yes but no
concrete facts yet in writing :RollEyes: the narrow boat owners can still buy red for heating
purposes! the full red for traverling on the water has not come in yet!

:whatthe:can you imagine the farmers putting white diesel in there thirsty john deers at harvest time!!

ray

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Farmers

hi have you any facts to back that up?? theres rumoirs going around yes but no
concrete facts yet in writing :RollEyes: the narrow boat owners can still buy red for heating
purposes! the full red for traverling on the water has not come in yet!

:whatthe:can you imagine the farmers putting white diesel in there thirsty john deers at harvest time!!

ray

Ray, the farmers could be off road and could use what they like could they not?
But by the same rule, the narrowboaters are off road:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Ray, the farmers could be off road and could use what they like could they not?
But by the same rule, the narrowboaters are off road:ROFLMAO:

Have you ever got stuck behind a farmer in his tractor at potatoe harvest time they travell for miles to the factories with trailer loads of taties

BTW The favourite place for the Revenue men are ferry ports and motorway service areas

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi

A contractor travels to a farm to harvest potatoes, which he then hauls to the owner's yard. Is this agricultural or is it classed as carrying goods for hire or reward?

If the contractor is harvesting the spuds as well as transporting them, it is agricultural activity, which qualifies for red diesel use.

Merely moving the potatoes after they have been harvested by someone else constitutes haulage, for which white must be used.

Is there a limit on the distance I can travel with my own grain to a mill? Does the same rule apply when delivering your own straw to other farms or stables and your own bagged potatoes to shops?

In terms of red diesel use there is no mileage limit for agricultural tractors if they are being used for bona fide agricultural, horticultural or forestry activity.

But an operator's license would be required when delivering produce more than 15 miles from the farm.

Red Diesel was always OK for Marine use, although there were moves afoot in 2005 to raise the revenue on marine use...... I do not know the outcome, but could find out if anyone was seriously interested....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back