Green card (4 Viewers)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
NFU are not charging. They told me to ring them 10 days before we leave and they will post one. It sounds like we need to apply before each trip.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Yes. Just email it to ypu BUT you must print it out on green paper-I do it every year. as I'm not in spain when renewal is due & they won't issue it early.

As above.

Unless it is in French & spanish it won't be a lot of good.

Surely the purpose of the green card is to be able to demonstrate insurance cover. So will the offence be not having it printed on green paper, not having it printed in french (or whatever language) or not having valid insurance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I suppose Brexit is to blame for the fact that Britain is now growing faster than the major European economies. The latest ‘monthly’ GDP figures show that the British economy grew by 0.3 per cent in the three months to November 2018 and will probably sustain that rate of growth for the entire final quarter of 2018. This is in contradistinction to major European economies such as Germany (which will probably record a technical recession – two consecutive quarters of negative growth) with France and Italy probably following in Germany’s wake.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have a printed certificate of insurance from my insurers which reads that my cover extends to all EU countries and one two others - Switzerland Norway etc. So until this expires I do not see why I need anything different.

If the worst came to the worst I would argue in court that the insurers were perfectly aware that the UK was leaving the EU in the middle of the period of cover when they issued the certificate.

Sep 13, 2017
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Rapido Fiat MWB
We don’t leave Spain until the 31st March to travel from Calais to Folkestone on the 7th April, hope we can get through France without green card and international driving licence there must be 100s in the same position.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We don’t leave Spain until the 31st March to travel from Calais to Folkestone on the 7th April, hope we can get through France without green card and international driving licence there must be 100s in the same position.
Don't worry. Corbyn and Abbott will be in charge then and will have the EU eating out of their hands and Brits will have EU locals lining the streets to cheer on us Brits for being such decent guys.

Abbott is counting the days - ..........................................................1,2,.........20...er.......I've run out of fingers and toes!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
hya - that's strange of them, rang them 2 days ago and it arrived in post today.

cheers

Clyde
That's beacuse the wording under your certificate does not cut the mustard as a Green Card. It does not have the same legal strength.

(Should that be French mustard??)

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
After last nights debacle I suspect a green card will not be needed for a while !

I agree. Looks like green card and IDPs can be forgotten about for a while........in fact we'll see this evening how long a while that might be :)

Mick

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry if its been mentioned already, but should it become a requirement to have a green card to go over the channel, I understand that some insurance companies will need some notice in advance of issuing it by post of 21 days or so, to the policy holder.
My question if anybody knows is, whats the longest term allowed on a green card, assuming that a lot of policy's have a max of 90 days away.
I only ask as there are lots of us that could potentially be away (with ins co permission) for a longer period, or have I answered my own question maybe?
Thanks.
Les

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Somwhere I read that Spanish insurers automatically issue a Green Card on renewal? Why, when all EU issued policies are valid for minimum 3rd Party risk everywhere within the EU? Is it because Spanish drivers are more likely to go to Morrocco? Is Andorra covered on a standard EU policy?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Rang today for green card. Yes no problems will pop it in the post. Asked where we are going, thought this was general chit chat said Spain.
I am now thinking do I have to specify every country I may visit until my renewal.
Surely not!! Hopefully they are worded to cover all the country's presently allowed with current insurance policy.

OP
OP
Appollo51

Appollo51

Free Member
Dec 29, 2018
Porth
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2009
Looks like we wont be needing any green cards any time soon or international licences .what a mess !!!

IandJ

Free Member
Oct 6, 2017
Funster No
Sorry if its been mentioned already, but should it become a requirement to have a green card to go over the channel, I understand that some insurance companies will need some notice in advance of issuing it by post of 21 days or so, to the policy holder.
My question if anybody knows is, whats the longest term allowed on a green card, assuming that a lot of policy's have a max of 90 days away.
I only ask as there are lots of us that could potentially be away (with ins co permission) for a longer period, or have I answered my own question maybe?
Thanks.
Les
Just had a green card insured by my insurers, Saga. Runs out in December the same as my policy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Somwhere I read that Spanish insurers automatically issue a Green Card on renewal? Why, when all EU issued policies are valid for minimum 3rd Party risk everywhere within the EU? Is it because Spanish drivers are more likely to go to Morrocco? Is Andorra covered on a standard EU policy?
No you do have to ask for it & the agent supplies it on the spot, A4,stamped ,signed & dated free of charge for the full year.
Mine covers all & every country ,without exception, listed on the back. As in Russia, Bosni-Hertzogovinia ,Algeria, Morocco, etc:

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
That's beacuse the wording under your certificate does not cut the mustard as a Green Card. It does not have the same legal strength.

(Should that be French mustard??)

Hya - what does that have to do with the fact that NFU issued me with a green card yet told @ceejayt he didn't need one ?

cheers

Clyde

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Same reason as they told me I needed to apply for one each time we travel!

Bizarre but I will carry the email from them with me as well. Probably depends which agency you deal with - I deal with Louth and they are always excellent in terms of service and price.

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
I was in the CUBS over 60 years ago and I set off for Spain via France on 6 April.
I already have my 2 I.P.D`s and my Green Card !!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
This information is from last week from Aviva insurance for a private/commercial policy for a Ducato van. The policy is at the renewal stage -

Contact them before each fresh journey to ask for a Green Card

Specify which countries you will drive in

Provide dates of travel

Green Card will be issued immediately, will take 3-4 weeks to arrive

When asked why so long to deliver? Our despatch department is not set up to issue so many Green Cards as are being requested at the moment, there is a big delay in sending them out.

Maximum time out of the country is 90 days

Maximum time out of the country in any one year 2 x 90 days = 180 days

Smart technology allows insurance companies to know when your vehicle leaves or enters the country

Current policy which expires in a few days allowed 12 months EU travel, no time limit, now all change just in case Brexit happens

The Schedule and Certificate clearly state that by law and including after any Brexit the vehicle is insured in the relevant EU + other countries for Third Party Fire and Theft. As a back-up you can at least drive legally but without comprehensive cover if you overstay your Green Card.

In our circumstance we sometimes make a commercial decision to travel abroad at no or just a couple of days notice. Asked how does that work with a Green Card that could take up to 4 weeks to arrive. "Give us as much notice as possible and try to plan ahead" Sounded like our Prime Minister...

Aviva are the insurers and not an agency, possibly better Green Card service from an insurance agent?

Questions deliberately asked over a chat line, had the transcript emailed to myself.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Aviva are the insurers and not an agency, possibly better service from an insurance agent?

Our motorhome is insured with Aviva through a broker/agent. Their advise was that in the event of a no deal, to call them 14 days before departure and they would post the relevant green card cover.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back