Condensation - I didn't expect that would happen (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
With my ex RV and now the Hymer I always leave an oil filled rad on and vents cracked open in winter. Never yet had condensation when not occupied even though at a liveable temperature .

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always leave an oil filled rad on too. Otyerwise we'd leave the electric heating on low. (Would do that anyway if very cold)
We want the van warm and ready to go so it's always full of water and warm.
We don't get condensation on the windscreen when it's not occupied. But if we did we'd stick the silverscreen on.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have not seen ours misted up before when not in use, but on reflection sometimes when away we get more condensation that we might expect some nights, but other nights get none when we expected it

Maybe it all relates to wind direction or lack of wind maybe, combined with temperature differentials, must be some more physics in there for the more able :D, over to you @Chris (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In 20 odd years of caravanning/MHing we have never heated or dehumidified whilst not in use. Neither have we removed anything or left cupboards doors open, in fact we pretty much leave it ready to go. Never had an issue with damp.
Quite agree. More interested in adding liquids.......... ;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When you defrost your fridge / freezer, this can create lots of moisture.
There may also be small amounts of moisture in the upholstery / bedding that could condensate.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We use external silver screen covers and a small oil filled radiator set on low...no condensation at all. :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When you defrost your fridge / freezer, this can create lots of moisture.
There may also be small amounts of moisture in the upholstery / bedding that could condensate.

another reason to keep it powered up, fridge stays ready to go as well and no defrost issues

hopefully now I have removed this condensation it will be better at the next cold night

better still we relocate somewhere warmer :)

How is Spain looking Robert? Blue skies last time I saw a photo but I think that was still France, popping over to your thread for an update :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have been fighting not to buy external screens for years, bulk, hassle, wet storage, reduced quick exit etc etc

Will hope for other options, or live with it :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
another reason to keep it powered up, fridge stays ready to go as well and no defrost issues

hopefully now I have removed this condensation it will be better at the next cold night

better still we relocate somewhere warmer :)

How is Spain looking Robert? Blue skies last time I saw a photo but I think that was till France, popping over the your thread for an update :)
Having a great time thanks - update coming after dinner tonight

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Ok some simple explanations. Warm air carries/absorbs more water per cubic metre than cold air. Water vapour pressure ie the difference in the amount of water in any given volume/air temperature of air compared with an adjacent air volume and temperature has the same properties as differences in air pressure. ie it will always equalise, stopping this happening is a very expensive and difficult process, believe me I spent many years doing just that for clients in Medical facilities and many others.
By heating the air in the van you are enabling it to carry more water vapour than the air outside, the water vapour pressure will equalise. The warm vapour laden air hits the cold windscreen ( the only non insulated part of your very well built van and when the air has cooled to the point where it can no longer support the water vapour being carried, the dew temperature is reached and the air releases its water in the form of condensation on the cold glass.
The solution is to either insulate the windscreen to the same level as the rest of the van, but that risks the condensation forming on the next coldest component which might not be as convenient as the windscreen. Or stop heating the van and allow the internal and external temperatures to equalise, Or reduce the heating to just frost free say 4C.
Do not waste any money on dehumidifiers, all they will do is try to reduce the humidity of Derbyshire as your van has and needs built in ventilation. The water vapour pressure will always equalise when operating in an non airtight and watertight environment. Yes the machine or chemicals will collect water but this will be from the general air environment and not from just inside your ventilated van.

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
In 20 odd years of caravanning/MHing we have never heated or dehumidified whilst not in use. Neither have we removed anything or left cupboards doors open, in fact we pretty much leave it ready to go. Never had an issue with damp.
Yes that's what we do as well and never had a problem over the last 8 years

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The Karcher we have is a battery powered suction pump with rubber blade, pretty nifty piece of kit for the bulk area of the windscreen, but no heat or steam involved

Mine also it collects the moisture and the dirt in the little container which I throw outside. It will only remove what is on the scrteen that originated inside the van and that will run out as it condenses and is removed UNLESS we are in it, breathing away like steam engines and boiling kettles.

Deleted User
We have a tent type gazebo and an awning attached to our fiver, both well ventilated so that the inside conditions are the same as the outside. When the air is damp they are both dripping with condensation in the morning, how is that?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You will always get "condensation" where there is a temperature differential. I have "State of the Art" Double glazing. (or so the salesman said!!) on really cold day we Still get minor condensation, due I suspect to the fact that humans "excrete" moisture which will condense on any "cool" surface to a greater or lesser extent. In a stored "van" ventilation is the best (cheapest) way to reduce it, However that also means that when you Re-inhabit there will be a (short) period of high condensation until the environment equalises? Over the years I have found that using a De-Humidifier for 24hrs before we need the "van" Helps, but I am aware that we are thereby also reducing the atmospheric humidity as well to some extent!. I suppose it`s a balance (like life?).

Pete

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @DavidG58 i do exactly the same as you, leave my alde wet system set on 10 degrees to keep the van from freezing as I keep it at home full of water ready to go and I've never experienced any condensation on the front windscreen, even the other morning when it dropped below 0. I do have internal thermal blinds as you can see from the picture attached so not sure if you have these?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@dpsuk999

we have identical blinds in our Hymer, they were not closed the other night

when we are away we often need to clear our windscreen of condensation on cold mornings, hence the Karcher

not sure what we might be doing differently, I blame the dog :), but nobody was inside it the other night

but we had a problem a couple of months ago where the fridge was left on auto when parking in workshop yard, ran on gas till it ran out then defrosted, there was quite a lot of moisture around then, it hasn't been used since, that might be the clue

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
@dpsuk999

we have identical blinds in our Hymer, they were not closed the other night

when we are away we often need to clear our windscreen of condensation on cold mornings, hence the Karcher

not sure what we might be doing differently, I blame the dog :), but nobody was inside it the other night

but we had a problem a couple of months ago where the fridge was left on auto when parking in workshop yard, ran on gas till it ran out then defrosted, there was quite a lot of moisture around then, it hasn't been used since, that might be the clue
You might have hit the nail on the head there. If you've still got some moisture from the defrosted fridge I would simply open the windows and let the van air off. Nothing better than fresh air to dry anything.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well apart from the fridge then I'd say we do identical things, even down to on 1kw setting electric and just ventilation through the normal way (no windows open etc) so I'd say probably down to the fridge defrost.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well apart from the fridge then I'd say we do identical things, even down to on 1kw setting electric and just ventilation through the normal way (no windows open etc) so I'd say probably down to the fridge defrost.

thanks, that seems to be me sorted, now just your solar issues to resolve (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you cracked a double glazed screen i would hate to thing of the replacement cost would be

Joe

I have only changed one so far on our first Pilote, because I had it insured through my business we had to pay the VAT, as we paid Autoglass £540 just in VAT that made the screen well over £2000 it should be double glazed for that. But when the MH we currently have (bought second hand I add quickly) cost the original owner just under £140K it should be double glazed for that as well

I think I would take the financial risk over convenience personally (y)

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
Hi,
Condensation ! It seems I have been chasing condensation around most of my life either professionally in construction or in boats and now motorhomes. Ventilation is always the number one tool, but then you need to capture the airbourne moisture before it finds the cold surface and before it is absorbed by furnishings. So . . . . position some dehumidifiers (silica gel or dishwasher salt) in the vehicle and hopefully a combination of all previous posts will help resolve the problem.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ok some simple explanations. Warm air carries/absorbs more water per cubic metre than cold air. Water vapour pressure ie the difference in the amount of water in any given volume/air temperature of air compared with an adjacent air volume and temperature has the same properties as differences in air pressure. ie it will always equalise, stopping this happening is a very expensive and difficult process, believe me I spent many years doing just that for clients in Medical facilities and many others.
By heating the air in the van you are enabling it to carry more water vapour than the air outside, the water vapour pressure will equalise. The warm vapour laden air hits the cold windscreen ( the only non insulated part of your very well built van and when the air has cooled to the point where it can no longer support the water vapour being carried, the dew temperature is reached and the air releases its water in the form of condensation on the cold glass.
The solution is to either insulate the windscreen to the same level as the rest of the van, but that risks the condensation forming on the next coldest component which might not be as convenient as the windscreen. Or stop heating the van and allow the internal and external temperatures to equalise, Or reduce the heating to just frost free say 4C.
Do not waste any money on dehumidifiers, all they will do is try to reduce the humidity of Derbyshire as your van has and needs built in ventilation. The water vapour pressure will always equalise when operating in an non airtight and watertight environment. Yes the machine or chemicals will collect water but this will be from the general air environment and not from just inside your ventilated van.

best answer..........wish I had seen it before I posted!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back