Interesting Stop Between Calais And Carcassonne (1 Viewer)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Decided we may follow the Limoges route down to Carcassonne before we hit the Med coast. Drive to Carcassonne 10 hrs so michelin site says. Bit too much for the hubby, he wont mind but best split it I think. Pref something about 6 to 7 hours from Calais where can arrive approx 1400 hrs and spend afternoon seeing interesting things and then either continue drive after or stay overnight. Any ideas appreciated. We Don't mind Aires and we also have our ACSI card.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'd go with Parc Verger too, we have done Calais to Carcassone with one stop at PV, pretty easy to do, with a couple of p breaks.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
South of Limoges you've got Sarlat-la-Caneda, Rocamadour, and Cahors, all with picturesque bits and aires within walking distance - I don't recall having to pay for any of them. A bit further East from Rocamadour is the Gouffre de Padirac cave system which is more than a bit impressive.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'd go with Parc Verger too, we have done Calais to Carcassone with one stop at PV, pretty easy to do, with a couple of p breaks.
Allan

Allan do you think it's doable to go from Calais right down to Carcassonne without a stopover, just a few breaks ? We don't mind getting there at 1630 ish as next day is just sightseeing Carcassonne then straight to ACSI site for 5 days sea/beach chilling.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Allan do you think it's doable to go from Calais right down to Carcassonne without a stopover, just a few breaks ? We don't mind getting there at 1630 ish as next day is just sightseeing Carcassonne then straight to ACSI site for 5 days sea/beach chilling.

Too far would be my vote, around Limoges would be as far as I would want to go and that would be at a push. We usually travel from Zeebrugge so that 50 miles ish further North than Calais but we usually stop around Chartre at Marboue or Chateaudun, Chateaudun is nice for a walk around but the aire can get busy. There is a Municipal at Chartre.

Martin

helen oliver

Free Member
May 31, 2015
benidorm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Uzerche has a good aire with elec but as it gets busy we go to Meuzac which has a very pretty aire by a lake. Its 14 kl ms north west of Uzerche off juc 42 on the A 20. There is also a very good restaurant overlooking the lake. Cahors further south has a huge aire with a shuttle bus into town. (aire no two, not the first tiny one you see)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanx all very much. We're doing Carcassonne etc in Sept now, while we're there 3 weeks. This will give us more time on the med this time around. We'll keep your suggestions at hand ready for that :)

Looks at the mo like hubby wants to head straight down towards Orange overnight. Makes sense as 2 of the ACSI sites look amazing and have validity dates until 30th June, the rest are into July. We'll stop for a few breaks and if necessary will get heads down somewhere before dawn. Figuring we won't sleep much anyway as excited and hubby loves driving. Using the Toll roads for a change. Heading for Port Grimbaud or Cassis where we'll set wheels for at least 4 days and rest by pool/beach, doing everything on bike, foot and public transport. Then move around elsewhere and get nosying around. Tho this could change in 2 weeks :D

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Thanks to those who have mentioned us - we are always happy to meet new Funster friends. We have actually got 25 touring pitches, though some are occupied by guests who are staying for some time as they like it here. The new owners, Franc and Lisa, take over from Di and me on 1st July, they will be arriving shortly before that in their RV.

As for getting here from Calais, it is about 400 miles, and we have had guests who have got to Calais early arriving here anytime from 5pm to 11.30pm!! Most tend to have a stopover in the Chartres area, where there is a reasonable aire and also an "open all year" site. Then there is a reasonable run to all of the south of France and the Spanish border.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Very nice little municipal site at vimoutiers , couple of hundred metres from a super u with fuel, about half way to parc verger i would think roughly, there is an aire next door but it was very small.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Camping la grande solange near orleans is very nice if you didnt want to go far west,the aire is outside the campsite sort of around the edge of the town garden and i think the waste disposal was opposite at the train station.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back