Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
need a 12 volt digital tv/dvd for my moterhome with teletext, travel to places like france and spain, what is the best thing to get

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have the Avtex "all in one" bit pricey but it has everything including digital for the continent. Excellent bit of kit.

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thankyou don't suppose you know about the best aerial to have i have seen one that goes on the top of the van and you can fix it in a cupboard which was about £120 but lowdham caravans in nottingham said that it would cost £310 to have it fitted. thats a big labour charge of around £190 any ideas

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry I'm using Sky at the moment with a Maxview crank up. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds a lot, but labour intensive if you havent any cables in place we would do the arial fitting bit for you if you want to run the 12 volt and eatrh and coax yourself for about a third of that, if your anywhere near Mansfiled, pop in for a quote, its tha status 530/5 your talking about i asume
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thankyou don't suppose you know about the best aerial to have i have seen one that goes on the top of the van and you can fix it in a cupboard which was about £120 but lowdham caravans in nottingham said that it would cost £310 to have it fitted. thats a big labour charge of around £190 any ideas

it should come with full fitting instructions and shouldnt be difficult.
just one hole in the roof. use sikafix to stick the mounting plate down with. job done.:thumb:

£190 is a very expensive fitting charge for whats involved.:whatthe:sounds to me like they dont want the job.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Paul
You can pick up a 'suitcase' satellite set-up for under £100 which will give you all the terrestrial stations plus loads more. Maplins have a complete kit for £99.99 but if you shop around a bit you will get one cheaper than this.

Link Removed

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thankyou all for the info the aeriel i was looking at is a status 530 but i like vthe sound of the maxi sattelite reciever
do you need a sy box or something to pick up channels?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
thankyou all for the info the aeriel i was looking at is a status 530 but i like vthe sound of the maxi sattelite reciever
do you need a sy box or something to pick up channels?

Yep we use a Pace 12v Sky box and we bought a £20 freesat card from Sky. Only once could we not get TV and this was in the middle of a wood near Kendal.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Paul

Have a look at this on eBay (item number 390001817808)

£59.95 or Best Offer for a complete kit. No need to start drilling holes. No silly labour charges for shoving a pole through your roof.....and lots more channels than you will ever get from a Status. (I've got one of those which was fitted to my van when i had it, but if i was looking to install TV now....i'd go the satellite route).

Status aerials have 'had their day'. They used to be a bit of 'swank' which people liked stuck on their caravan or motorhome roofs (often got knocked off), but now they are outdated, obsolete and common as muck!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Funster No
best tv to get (supposedly)

Why has this thread asking for best tv/dvd combo turned into a discourse on satellite dishes and all? The thread should be renamed.

Honestly I find this site poor in comparison with the simpler yahoo group, 'motorhome list'.

If you don't want to go for as big a tv as a 15in, what else is there? That's what should be under discussion here.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Why has this thread asking for best tv/dvd combo turned into a discourse on satellite dishes and all? The thread should be renamed.

Honestly I find this site poor in comparison with the simpler yahoo group, 'motorhome list'.

If you don't want to go for as big a tv as a 15in, what else is there? That's what should be under discussion here.

The poster of the original question went on to ask about ariels and then sattelite. Perhaps you should digest the whole of the thread before making unwarranted critisisms.:Blush:

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

The guy is looking at a tv/dvd combo and has been quoted silly money for fitting a fancy aerial. He travels abroad so english tv channels will be unobtainable there. Apart from dvd's the tv would be useless in the middle of France.

As he's starting from scratch, in my opinion, the best route to go would be satellite simply as he will then be able to receive all english tv channels plus loads more. And it can be done a lot cheaper than buying a Status aerial.

To keep things small and neat i use an mp4 player instead of carting a bundle of dvd's around.

Perhaps you could put forward some of your own ideas......if you have any?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have one of these CLICK
This one's on Ebay and we have found it brilliant for satellite and Freeview (built in). Combine it with a crankup (mines a Camos flat crankup) and you can have not only Astra but the other satellites too, very simpl to tune in. :thumb::thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have this one, these are ex comet end of line with 160 gb hard drive

Happy Days from Lesley from Ilfracomve

:Smile: :Smile:

Link Removed

S

stagman

Deleted User
need a 12 volt digital tv/dvd for my moterhome with teletext, travel to places like france and spain, what is the best thing to get

I bought my 15 inch tv with dvd and text for under £ 150 from Makro 2 yrs now still works fine.It has the 240v to12v dc transformer,.Just cut off the seondary side of the trans and fit 12v pug make sure polarity is right and hey presto you have a £350 telly for £150 :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back