Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Hi
We are off to fort william on Friday, then want to stop near Maillaig for a day or two, wild camping if possible
Any suggestions woukd be great
Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We came through there last year and were amazed and disappointed by the new road, no more single carriageway

But that must leave more options for roadside locations on the old road

There are a few decent sized laybys but miles from any facilities, take water and food with you

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
We are off to fort william on Friday, then want to stop near Maillaig for a day or two, wild camping if possible
Thanks

Can't comment on wild camping but we stayed at this place which was lovely (if a wee bit pricy). http://www.camusdarach.co.uk/

Fantastic beaches and very dog friendly (which may not be important to you of course). Wifi a bit flaky so don't hold out too much hope on that score if that's important to you.

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
Hi
Thanks

lists the car park in Mallaig as a night stop. We're planning to go there soon.

Quote (2013):
57.005248, -5.831405 public free car park in Mallaig. No restrictions, try and park in the bays with your back end of the vehicle over hanging the sea so your vehicle fits better!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Read the title and for a minute thought you was gonna visit the POW camp my dad spent the war in ( Milag Nord )
We are gonna go there just to pay respects this summer.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
www.wildcamping.co.uk
lists the car park in Mallaig as a night stop. We're planning to go there soon.

Quote (2013):
57.005248, -5.831405 public free car park in Mallaig. No restrictions, try and park in the bays with your back end of the vehicle over hanging the sea so your vehicle fits better!

we parked there during the day, plenty of room when we were there September last year. Not sure I would bother with too many nights though. Suggest you go to far end to avoid congestion and causing residents issues

Turn right as you get to port, about half mile on left parking bays back up to railings, we had to park across three due to length, hence going to far end

Lovely town

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
no no no

not mallaig ,,
just before go to malaig is off main road just before morar is arisaig WOW IV POSTED IMAGES of this area on here
incl morar, wild camping yes there is in arisaig great wee village and you can use the campsite well worth a nights stay

http://www.sunnysidetouringsite.co.uk/

trust me a very cool site great vibe,

if you want to wild like i do then yes there is a couple of spots..

the narrow road from arisaig past the golf course there is on the beach grass and a smalllayby next to two buildings,, its cool there great for a wee BBQ,,
just a mile from there all around is small beaches that aree stunning,,
picture incl the small layby verge thats cool for a night narrow road next to golf course look for the two small brick buildings shown..image i.
stay there a night then follow road to sand of morar worth a visit,, google images of this place,,:thumb: good luck and enjoy,,

Attachments

• 2014-05-31 09.09.54.jpg
    2014-05-31 09.09.54.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014-05-31 09.10.07.jpg
    2014-05-31 09.10.07.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014-05-31 09.09.35.jpg
    2014-05-31 09.09.35.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 10365824_647252052011006_5347776278115903467_n.jpg
    10365824_647252052011006_5347776278115903467_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 26

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
good choice for parking,,

i parked by the harbour as they stated here, for the day it does state over next to the houses no overnight staying ut near the end i think they turn a blind eye to thuis as the town needs visitors as its mainley for the ferry or harbour visitors,, nice places to eat infavct stunningplaces to eat,, chippies, cafes and fresh seafood galore,, there is boat trips and bike hire available .. the car park on the rihght as you enter mallaig was full on my last vist last week but possible in the bus section if other motorhomes are there,, if u dont make it up there in one go stop of at
loch eilt there is a large layby good for stoping ,, very quiet and spooky at night, midgy sprays are required,, enjoy,,:thumb:

we parked there during the day, plenty of room when we were there September last year. Not sure I would bother with too many nights though. Suggest you go to far end to avoid congestion and causing residents issues

Turn right as you get to port, about half mile on left parking bays back up to railings, we had to park across three due to length, hence going to far end

Lovely town

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
just saw you like cycling and walking,

just stay at arisaig you can walk coastal or cycle coastal to malaig .. hire a canoe for a couple of hours the bays are shallow. and warm,

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just stay at arisaig you can walk coastal or cycle coastal to malaig .. hire a canoe for a couple of hours the bays are shallow. and warm,

we took a magical boat trip from there 10 years ago, went to the islands, got midged to bits but had a Minke whale right beside our boat no bigger than the whale on way back

A lovely area, probably even better now road bypasses village

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would recommend Arisaig over Mallaig as well.Lovely spot and a few camping choices with views out to Rhum and Eigg.Been camping there loads of times over the years and it is always a joy to be back.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI][/HI]
.....i parked by the harbour as they stated here, for the day[HI] it does state over next to the houses no overnight staying[/HI] ut near the end i think they turn a blind eye to thuis as the town needs visitors.....

no disrespect Geo.. but ignoring signs that say No Overnight Staying can annoy local people .. you may think they turn a blind, but next thing they will petition the council to have it stopped.. and before long .. a height barrier..

this is what has happened all along the coast at Scarborough and other coastal towns.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
i didnt stay in any areas that stated no overnight parking

i have the upmost respect for people who wish to live or retire facing the coast im suggesting that the camp site in arisaig be used as its facility
for laundry or showers even baths are great, there is a section close by that says no overnight parking there and in many places in the uk,
those areas i well keep away .. but any of my wild camping posts i have always stated the safe areas to park and never just a car park near shops etc i would travel several miles just to get the best place safe and away from houses,, my apologies for anyone misinterpreting what or where im stating is safe and sound to park overnight only and never overstay more than a night in the same place, and leave the place cleaner than when i arrived "the litter of course not me:Blush::Blush:"

no disrespect Geo.. but ignoring signs that say No Overnight Staying can annoy local people .. you may think they turn a blind, but next thing they will petition the council to have it stopped.. and before long .. a height barrier..

this is what has happened all along the coast at Scarborough and other coastal towns.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back