Working at height on the motorhome (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
I got one of those off ebay and to be honest didnt feel at all safe ...not very well made and i gave it away in the end.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just use a ladder and climb on to roof with bucket sponge and hose watch though as climbed up front worked to back pulled hose and knocked ladder down had to carry on working until someone came out of a house and got them to put ladder back up as Denise was out shopping😀
Been there done that, always make sure I have my phone with me now.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I was chuffed when a Cornish "mate" gave me an aluminium 6ftx4ft scaffold tower, its very light & stores quite well.(y)
It was when I went to use it to put a load of 6" shiplap UPVC cladding on the front & back of the house I realised why he gave it to me.:rolleyes:
Its ok putting it together, its taking it apart that's the hard part. Its obviously been tight, so he has "persuaded" it with a hammer, which has flattened the spars, and brought the two male & female ends inwards & out of alignment.:swear:
It did get the job done, was OK moving sideways, its just when you try & dismantle it, you hit a problem.
They Scots are tight, well the haven't met a Cornishman, is all I can say.:giggle:
This is the same mate that gives you stuff, then years later when he needs it, he drives over and says "Remember that tool I lent you", can I have it back, I've got a job on.:rolleyes:

My advice would be to get a Steel Scaffold tower, heavier yes, but can take a lot more stick, and last a lot longer.

PS: I recently managed to get a length of that thick round scaffold pole safety protector, its yellow foam, like big pipe lagging and spares your head should you walk into it. That's what I shall place on the rungs of my ladder next time I do work or clean the van roof.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I was chuffed when a Cornish "mate" gave me an aluminium 6ftx4ft scaffold tower, its very light & stores quite well.(y)
It was when I went to use it to put a load of 6" shiplap UPVC cladding on the front & back of the house I realised why he gave it to me.:rolleyes:
Its ok putting it together, its taking it apart that's the hard part. Its obviously been tight, so he has "persuaded" it with a hammer, which has flattened the spars, and brought the two male & female ends inwards & out of alignment.:swear:
It did get the job done, was OK moving sideways, its just when you try & dismantle it, you hit a problem.
They Scots are tight, well the haven't met a Cornishman, is all I can say.:giggle:
This is the same mate that gives you stuff, then years later when he needs it, he drives over and says "Remember that tool I lent you", can I have it back, I've got a job on.:rolleyes:

My advice would be to get a Steel Scaffold tower, heavier yes, but can take a lot more stick, and last a lot longer.

PS: I recently managed to get a length of that thick round scaffold pole safety protector, its yellow foam, like big pipe lagging and spares your head should you walk into it. That's what I shall place on the rungs of my ladder next time I do work or clean the van roof.
LES

My Youngman Minimax scaffold tower is cast Aluminium. Light, rigid and strong but not cheap! :LOL:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I use a workbench.

Working height (so standing height) is only 1m, but that's enough for me to work on the roof of most vans I need too.

The bench is 2.2m x 1m and solid as a rock. It's also on locking wheels so easy to move around.

If I do need extra height, a small step ladder on top works fine.

20220228_055033024_iOS.jpg

(ignore the mess, about to clean the place for the week)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I use a workbench.

Working height (so standing height) is only 1m, but that's enough for me to work on the roof of most vans I need too.

The bench is 2.2m x 1m and solid as a rock. It's also on locking wheels so easy to move around.

If I do need extra height, a small step ladder on top works fine.

View attachment 590232

(ignore the mess, about to clean the place for the week)
What mess????

Jan 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Carthago
86BDE7A0-043F-42D2-8AC7-7C530AF4D5AC.jpeg

Sometimes you don’t get a choice on spotting how dusty your solar panel is!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Look at a warehouse step platform set with wheels at one end most of the trade use them try one of the army surplus auctions they often have them.
We bought one of these at a local auction for £35 plus commission.

The steps fold away into it if that makes sense and so it stores away quite well. Several people have used it for cleaning motorhomes but also neighbours borrow it to fix shed roofs, paint higher than they would want to go up ladders, cut branches off trees etc. All at their own risk of course.

Aug 7, 2021
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam A CLASS
Exp
Monzer, have you considered hiring a wee scaff tower over a weekend ? I see you are in the shire and there is a lad that hires them out beside Kemnay, he also delivers and collects his equipment. I tend to save up any roof jobs then hire a tower and do all the jobs at once. Wise hire on face book is who I use, he’s between kemnay and Kintore.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Has anyone got a permanent solution to getting up high to the motorhome roof for washing etc?

I've used the forklift at work recently but still a bit of a faff. I'll be wanting up soon to give it a wash and polish, remove the sat dish and eventually add a solar panel or 2. Been looking for small platform scaffolding but nothing coming up for a decent price.

Found this on ebay but not entirely sure it's as robust as they say it is...

Storage is not really an issue as will be stored at work.

Anyone got anything for stable access to the roof?
That Ali scaffold tower would be ideal for your needs as long as you have space around the MH

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Simply instruct the Ginger Roof Monkey*, available for hire at very competitive rates (plus travel time & expenses). ;) :LOL:

View attachment 590246

*Working at height certified, allegedly.
Satellite dish carefully positioned so we don't comment on her posterior but those cables should be in trunking. :rofl:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Why clean the roof ?
I can't see if it's dirty or not . . . and I don't care
I only wash my m/h twice a year; April and July.
I wash the roof because rain run-off drags dirt and debris down leaving stubborn black streaks on the sides.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Be careful when using a lightweight scaffold tower without steadies any force you put when pushing a mop or brush puts the same force outward as you push inward.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Why clean the roof ?
I can't see if it's dirty or not . . . and I don't care
The slope at the front of my Elddis started to "grow" algae & moss. If you're happy looking at that, good luck. I had to get up a ladder and bleach it off. A long-handled brush wouldn't shift it.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
At 1.6m high max , I’d say it’s to low , I have much higher & wider aluminium scaffolding & that’s just large enough
I thought the same and to be honest the description says max height is 1m so I presume they don't advise on putting the platform section up as high as the top 2 rungs. Think I'll pass although it is reasonably priced.
I have one and yes, it is too low for the van and unstable if the platform goes higher than shown, I've tried it. I use an 8 tread step ladder as well as a padded lean to ladder to to do one side with too much moving.

I'm currently planning how to reach the front of the overcab above the windscreen to reseal a section that I think is leaking. Size 3 trestle each side linked with a heavy duty youngman board or similar is the latest thought.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
I used these ladders from Screwfix, less than £100, Adjusted the stops so that I can raise one extra rung and tie the side of the ladder to the wind out mechanism of the awning

Edit: it also fits in the garage

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Tickles me having been a scaffolder for decades when people talk about "Working at heights" on a 3 mt van.
But course anything off the ground is at height.
Safety first.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I work in the construction industry.
If that was one of our employees working at height (any height) I would have to prepare a method statement, carry out a risk assessment, fit edge protection, provide safe access and supply full PPE.
However, the same person could then go home and climb onto the wet roof of his motorhome when wearing flip flops and carrying a bucket of water up a wobbly ladder. It is a strange old world!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back