Working at height on the motorhome (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Has anyone got a permanent solution to getting up high to the motorhome roof for washing etc?

I've used the forklift at work recently but still a bit of a faff. I'll be wanting up soon to give it a wash and polish, remove the sat dish and eventually add a solar panel or 2. Been looking for small platform scaffolding but nothing coming up for a decent price.

Found this on ebay but not entirely sure it's as robust as they say it is...

Storage is not really an issue as will be stored at work.

Anyone got anything for stable access to the roof?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have a 7 year old grandson who needs character building ladder that can turned into a platform. Make sure its the 5.7 metre to get the height. Can be a ladder or make an a frame or a platform for ease of waxing on and off
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36349021...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 £140 including platform
1645990598415.png

1645990631799.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I just use a ladder and climb on to roof with bucket sponge and hose watch though as climbed up front worked to back pulled hose and knocked ladder down had to carry on working until someone came out of a house and got them to put ladder back up as Denise was out shopping😀

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I use a telescopic ladder which is as tall as the motorhome. I work my way round the roof but don’t go on it. I also have a telescopic brush which is very handy
Same here,just use part of our house ladders with a protective foam pad between the MH and ladder and a telescopic brush.and just move it around the MH to suit. I don't need to go on the roof at all. (y)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We have a 7 year old grandson who needs character building ladder that can turned into a platform. Make sure its the 5.7 metre to get the height. Can be a ladder or make an a frame or a platform for ease of waxing on and off
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36349021...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 £140 including platform
View attachment 590181
View attachment 590183
If you decide to go this route be very very careful if using the platform sections. I managed to go A*** over T** when on mine washing the roof. Walked across and managed to step near the join in the middle, which seperated and I fell straddling the ladder, bruised around waist, bum and soaked as the bucked (had to be full) emptied itself over me. I am now looking out for a length of scaffolding board for next excursion. :unsure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I had a Youngman minimax scaffold tower when I owned the Coach company, it came in 3 sections which one could buy separately.

We had all 3 sections and could work at the top of a double decker bus.

Very secure and one can purchase outriggers for more stability, expensive but worth it!

EDIT: The snap on platforms will carry 125? kilos and cannot move

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
At 1.6m high max , I’d say it’s to low , I have much higher & wider aluminium scaffolding & that’s just large enough
I thought the same and to be honest the description says max height is 1m so I presume they don't advise on putting the platform section up as high as the top 2 rungs. Think I'll pass although it is reasonably priced.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you decide to go this route be very very careful if using the platform sections. I managed to go A*** over T** when on mine washing the roof. Walked across and managed to step near the join in the middle, bruised around waist, bum and soaked as the bucked (had to be full) emptied itself over me. I am now looking out for a length of scaffolding board for next excursion. :unsure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Absolutely correct.
Once you have it erected your H and S brain kicks in and a scaffold board on top gives you more confidence

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I had a Youngman minimax scaffold tower when I owned the Coach company, it came in 3 sections which one could buy separately.

We had all 3 sections and could work at the top of a double decker bus.

Very secure and one can purchase outriggers for more stability, expensive but worth it!
Ideal but like you say, expensive. I had a bid in for some fibre glass scaffolding with platform at a local auction not so long ago but there is no such thing as a bargain at those kind of things any more and was easily outbid.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've done the whole ladder thing before but it's a pain in the arse trying to move around, up and down everything you need.

Like I say going to be taking the dish off and adding some panels so was looking for something a bit sturdy. Might take a punt on that ebay item as it's the closet I'll get to a small scaffolding section with out paying big bucks.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Ideal but like you say, expensive. I had a bid in for some fibre glass scaffolding with platform at a local auction not so long ago but there is no such thing as a bargain at those kind of things any more and was easily outbid.

I think mine cost about a £1000 but who can put a cost on a life?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If you decide to go this route be very very careful if using the platform sections. I managed to go A*** over T** when on mine washing the roof. Walked across and managed to step near the join in the middle, which seperated and I fell straddling the ladder, bruised around waist, bum and soaked as the bucked (had to be full) emptied itself over me. I am now looking out for a length of scaffolding board for next excursion. :unsure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Was anyone watching you?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You'll have me buying E+P levellers next :LOL:

No, not me! Far better the scaffold tower which when covered over with canvas has been used as an outside bunk tent before now (also come in handy for working inside and outside house):LOL:

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Look at a warehouse step platform set with wheels at one end most of the trade use them try one of the army surplus auctions they often have them.
Nice but I could make something like that in the workshop for a lot less. Takes up a bit too much room storage wise though. My thinking with scaffolding was that it's easy to take apart and lean up against the wall out of the way.

I've already got a beach buggy taking up workshop space I wouldn't want to chance my luck :LOL:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We actually have CCTV running down that side of the moho and I showed it my grandkids who howled with laughter when I fell. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No I deleted it before you ask. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
As long as you were not hurt badly I would have loved to have seen that.
You would have got some money for the footage of that.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You can walk on that roof ...its the same as mine was and im heavier than you are.
Always a bit wary standing on it. I guess it'd probably be okay but would prefer some kind of platform. Make it easier for having tools etc for fitting or removing parts too.

The amount I've ate today I wouldn't even chance leaning on it :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back