Woman MH drivers (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
We had two occasions when Fiona was driving where I had to admire her self control.

One the isle of Harris Fiona was preparing to reverse as we had decided the single road we were on would not offer any wild camping. A local stopped to see if we were lost, nice friendly helpful chap but his first comment to me was "why wasn't I driving"

Then when we broke down I was up the road re-siting in warning triangle when the tow truck arrived.
So the drivers first question to Fiona was "did your husband say what had happened"
Fiona replied " He didn't, he wasn't driving"

So to all you MH drivers who are also female, whats your best scathing reply when people assume it has to be the man driving.

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have found that I have to be assertive in order to be able to drive or else hubby assumes it is his right to get in driver's seat.
We're just the opposite. Unless there's a good reason (e.g. I'm tired on the way back from somewhere), in the MH, I'm definitely the one doing the driving. 'Im indoors is better at navigating anyway, although we'll usually have "the mad woman" - aka Google Maps Navigation - doing most of the hard work. I like driving the 'van, and I'm better at manouevring it too. And I'm more than happy for him to jump out and position ramps where necessary :D

In the car, it's the other way around. He'll usually drive unless there's a good reason why not.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
John took the van away on his own for Silverstone, I was on edge till he let me know he had arrived ok and just as bad when he was coming back, think those are the longest 2 stretches he has driven in this van although he drives it more than the first. I am pillion on the motorbike though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Perhaps it was the way I was brought up and the fact that from a young age my mum drove us kids and other families kids in our own mini bus(s).
But I have never thought it strange or unusual to see a woman driving larger vehicles...

I do however panic a bit these days when I see a woman reversing near my van. Having had to park outside my mum's for weeks on end when I was looking after her and her house being next to a primary school..... My van was hit at least 7 times by mothers attempting to reverse. It appears to me that women's ability to multitask goes out the window totally when reverse gear is engaged. no less than 3 of them accused me of hitting them and my engine wasn't even running :rofl:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Perhaps it was the way I was brought up and the fact that from a young age my mum drove us kids and other families kids in our own mini bus(s).
But I have never thought it strange or unusual to see a woman driving larger vehicles...

I do however panic a bit these days when I see a woman reversing near my van. Having had to park outside my mum's for weeks on end when I was looking after her and her house being next to a primary school..... My van was hit at least 7 times by mothers attempting to reverse. It appears to me that women's ability to multitask goes out the window totally when reverse gear is engaged. no less than 3 of them accused me of hitting them and my engine wasn't even running :rofl:

Guess that's because the school run is a woman's job. From where I am (I'm now parked the right way around, not as in the photo), I can tell you neither gender seems to be able to reverse, even getting in straight nose first next to me seems too hard a task for many. I have quite a few dents from people swinging their car doors open. I'm known to leave the step out when I think they are too close... They can slam their door against that.

And as to comments, oh yes, all the time, there's not even a man in the passenger seat in my case. The one I get most often so far is 'aren't you brave driving something that size', and even more annoying, it is usually women. The reply (in my head) is 'if I'd be a man would you say that?'. Whilst in their case, he parks the van, then does all the fiddling with blocks (especially when it is a caravan) and whatever else and then goes and gets the water etc. I then need to go for a walk to let off steam.

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I (bloke) do all of the MH driving, my wife did drive the T5 but not often and so far never driven the Kingham as she lacks confidence in manoeuvring.

I should say we lack no confidence in driving cars or motorcycles and I'm quite happy in the van as long as the wife is the acting "banksman"

I'd like us both to get lessons to improve our skills but where ?

We are in South Wiltshire.

Upvote 0

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
Guess that's because the school run is a woman's job. From where I am (I'm now parked the right way around, not as in the photo), I can tell you neither gender seems to be able to reverse, even getting in straight nose first next to me seems too hard a task for many. I have quite a few dents from people swinging their car doors open. I'm known to leave the step out when I think they are too close... They can slam their door against that.

And as to comments, oh yes, all the time, there's not even a man in the passenger seat in my case. The one I get most often so far is 'aren't you brave driving something that size', and even more annoying, it is usually women. The reply (in my head) is 'if I'd be a man would you say that?'. Whilst in their case, he parks the van, then does all the fiddling with blocks (especially when it is a caravan) and whatever else and then goes and gets the water etc. I then need to go for a walk to let off steam.
I agree with you about the women who say to me "aren't you brave", very irritating and I always think,but don't say, oh grow a backbone! mind you it's only ever the older ones that say it, not the younger women.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I (bloke) do all of the MH driving, my wife did drive the T5 but not often and so far never driven the Kingham as she lacks confidence in manoeuvring.

I should say we lack no confidence in driving cars or motorcycles and I'm quite happy in the van as long as the wife is the acting "banksman"

I did a motorhome manoeuvring course with the caravan and motorhome club. Because I must admit that all the comments on my driving the van did eat at my confidence, that even though I was managing, I probably ought not to manage. I went (on purpose) to the course
where they do HGV training specially aimed at women, in Corby, Carole's driver training. It was worth the travel (I combined it with a little holiday in the area). Very much learned to work with the mirrors, forget the reversing camera, find markers on the van to get your bearings with. It does your confidence no end of good to do a reverse slalom around 4 cones, I tell you!

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We have pink jobs and blue jobs but no real hard and fast rules, either of us can do most of them. I tend to do the set up things like plug in EHU, put up awning, change gas bottles; Alice tends to do the more skilful things like cooking meals and dressing the bed. When I say Alice tends to cook the meals, I do recall one time when I cooked a breakfast.... When it comes to driving, we both do it but I probably spend more time driving than she does, simply because I get bored in the passenger seat on motorways, although much less so now we have a permanent wifi from our Mifi. Alice is quite content to knit in the passenger seat for long periods. I tend to leave it to Alice to reverse out of our driveway round the blind corner as she can do it in a single movement without touching the kerb. As a mother, she has those eyes in the back of her head so that must make it easier for her!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
How about something on the lines of:
"well we stopped for a coffee, then he went to the loo and I thought I'd give the driving a go - never done it before - and I don't know what's happened but he hasn't come out yet so I think I must be doing ok"

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
How about something on the lines of:
"well we stopped for a coffee, then he went to the loo and I thought I'd give the driving a go - never done it before - and I don't know what's happened but he hasn't come out yet so I think I must be doing ok"
Using the loo en route is very time efficient, but it is important to have the flap half open in case the driver has to brake, swerve or take corners exceptionally fast!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Your nearest centre is at Devizes. There is a link to page below. However only one course left this year.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We used this company next door to Newark show ground, they do CMC courses but they were all full, but we booked a session independently so we each had half the lesson (I think it was an hour & a half each???) on the airfield and then out on the roads. The instructor had a motorhome so was very knowledgeable. We learned heaps and would thoroughly recommend them.
http://diamonddrivertraining.co.uk/

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can also highly recommend doing a days HGV training especially the reversing part... Since doing mine in 2007 I have never needed a reversing camera and now go into places I wouldn't have considered before... That course was worth it's weight in gold...

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I can also highly recommend doing a days HGV training especially the reversing part... Since doing mine in 2007 I have never needed a reversing camera and now go into places I wouldn't have considered before... That course was worth it's weight in gold...

Hi Gromett

That is an interesting comment as I never used the reversing camera until the last few inches before an obstruction - did the positioning on the mirrors, never thought to use the camera - but I had lots of time on 7.5 tonners with no camera, incl. removal vans, but then usually had a banksman, of sorts.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
<fx>: goes off to look up banksman
Its someone who guides lorries in to loading bays..... Bit like the guys you see on airport's with tennis bat's

I do it as part of my job.... Although most of the time I just leave the driver to do his stuff and shout occasionally when it looks like he's gonna squash someone

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd quite like 'er indoors to share the driving but she can't (no C1 & can't get it) and doesn't want to anyway.

She's also, so far, never been known to empty the toilet :whistle:

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I'd quite like 'er indoors to share the driving but she can't (no C1 & can't get it) and doesn't want to anyway.

She's also, so far, never been known to empty the toilet :whistle:
Hi @NickNic not challenging, just asking - why can't Mrs Nicknic get her C1? Besides her not wanting to which is entirely her choice and I respect that decision.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi @NickNic not challenging, just asking - why can't Mrs Nicknic get her C1? Besides her not wanting to which is entirely her choice and I respect that decision.

Various medical stuff which doesn't need posting here. (y)

She's not even driving a car at the moment which is a pain in the arse because she doesn't drink so she's usually the designated driver/responsible adult when we go out. :D2

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Various medical stuff which doesn't need posting here. (y)

She's not even driving a car at the moment which is a pain in the arse because she doesn't drink so she's usually the designated driver/responsible adult when we go out. :D2
I do hope she feels better soon.

Upvote 0

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Before we got the motorhome I was driving our almost written off caravan back through customs who were interested in what had happened. I explained the snake and subsequent off road bit . He said bet a woman was driving !!! Then said how come it didn't roll . To which I replied because a woman was driving!!!

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2017
Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2006
My boyfriend won't let me put him on my motorhome insurance, although it would be nice for me to to have a relief from driving from time to time. When I asked him why, his answer was "if I damaged it, even if it wasn't my fault, you wouldn't forgive me". I naturally reply that accidents happen and that's why we have insurance, but secretly, I think he might be right...

Upvote 0

Feday

Free Member
Sep 2, 2017
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
coach built
My wife drove ours to Naburn lock in york for very first time, only thing i had to say to her was 'slow down a bit my dove'...
I will gladly let her drive when she wants and on roads she is happy with..
With our trip to Devon coming up some breaks will be welcome.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We had two occasions when Fiona was driving where I had to admire her self control.

One the isle of Harris Fiona was preparing to reverse as we had decided the single road we were on would not offer any wild camping. A local stopped to see if we were lost, nice friendly helpful chap but his first comment to me was "why wasn't I driving"

Then when we broke down I was up the road re-siting in warning triangle when the tow truck arrived.
So the drivers first question to Fiona was "did your husband say what had happened"
Fiona replied " He didn't, he wasn't driving"

So to all you MH drivers who are also female, whats your best scathing reply when people assume it has to be the man driving.
Well if it wasn't myself driving it must have been my dog!!

Upvote 0

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
We are looking for a Motorhome at the moment but, at the start of the season we had a large estate car and caravan. We both took it in turns to drive and manoeuvre.
I think it's important for both people to be able to drive, pack up and pitch up.
I worked fire and rescue and drove recovery vehicles and pumps. So I enjoyed the look on a lot of faces as I manoeuvred the caravan.
Me and my better half really love driving, we try to maintain a good standard of driving, manoeuvring and courtesy. Nice to see others who also love their driving on this forum.

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I love driving too and try to have a turn at driving Harvey....but ...my wonderfu hubby is not a good passenger as he gets travel sick. I do drive if he is feeling unwell though which is not very often. We both did the CMC MH manoeuvring course which was pretty good giving us loads of opportunity to reverse and drive round cones then on the roads local to Corby. We both really enjoyed it...in our antics .....I didn't knock a single cone down...OH knocked 2 down :D

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
My beloved doesn't drive ours, she says "why have a dog and bark yourself?"
I've asked what she'll do when I pop my clogs and her reply was "sell the motorhome and buy some more Jimmy Choo's and Louis Vuitton's!"
I kid you not!

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
My beloved doesn't drive ours, she says "why have a dog and bark yourself?"
I've asked what she'll do when I pop my clogs and her reply was "sell the motorhome and buy some more Jimmy Choo's and Louis Vuitton's!"
I kid you not!

What are those:LOL:.....I'd buy slightly smaller MH:)

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
I think it's important for both people to be able to drive, pack up and pitch up.

I'm a terrible passenger and intend to do as much (if not more) driving than husband when the m/h arrives; when we go away in the caravan I do all the driving - the towcar is mine :)

A few years ago a caravanning friend was on holiday with husband about 300 miles from home. He had a fall and could not drive. She flatly refused to get behind the wheel and a relative had to take time off work, get on a train, and bring them back.

Upvote 0

Julie and Charles

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own a MH yet
Exp
15 years under canvas, 13 years in a caravan
I'm a terrible passenger and intend to do as much (if not more) driving than husband when the m/h arrives; when we go away in the caravan I do all the driving - the towcar is mine :)

A few years ago a caravanning friend was on holiday with husband about 300 miles from home. He had a fall and could not drive. She flatly refused to get behind the wheel and a relative had to take time off work, get on a train, and bring them back.

I have two friends on the estate who have leisure vehicles. One a caravan, the other a MH. They both refuse to drive saying that the MH (VW Camper) is too big! The other one will not tow.
I've offered to go out with them, I've told them to call a driving school and get an instructor for a couple of hours. It is so important for both people to be able to load, set up, nose weight check and tow or manoeuvre.
The example you give is the very reason. I've always loved driving and as we look for our first MH, the thing I'm looking forward to is, test driving.
I am going to test drive everything I can get my hands on. From the biggest tag axle to the biggest A class. I love driving, the more complicated the manoeuvre, the more exciting I find it. Just like you I do the lions share and love it. Nice to meet someone else who shares the driving passion.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back