Woman MH drivers (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
We had two occasions when Fiona was driving where I had to admire her self control.

One the isle of Harris Fiona was preparing to reverse as we had decided the single road we were on would not offer any wild camping. A local stopped to see if we were lost, nice friendly helpful chap but his first comment to me was "why wasn't I driving"

Then when we broke down I was up the road re-siting in warning triangle when the tow truck arrived.
So the drivers first question to Fiona was "did your husband say what had happened"
Fiona replied " He didn't, he wasn't driving"

So to all you MH drivers who are also female, whats your best scathing reply when people assume it has to be the man driving.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So to all you MH drivers who are also female, whats your best scathing reply when people assume it has to be the man driving.

source.gif

Meant ironically I can assure you - it'll be very interesting to see how many positive replies you get in this forum :)

For the record my better half does her share of the MH driving - for starters she's been driving for longer than I have.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I used to love relaxing in the passenger seat when the boss lady was driving, but she never had the opportunity to give such a scathing reply, which is a pity as her credentials were pretty good....

In addition to her normal licence, she holds Police standard and advanced driving instructor qualifications, tactical pursuit instructor, as well as being a bus and large goods vehicle licence holder.

She still preferred me to reverse the caravan and wouldn't even try to get her motorcycle licence.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Cindy is still an operational firefighter with LGV licence, qualified to drive the pump under blues & twos, hence she is better qualified than I to drive our van. She also enjoys driving said van, which suits me as I like being a nosey passenger some of the time.

Not sure she's had cause to verbally retort, other quizzical parties have not been brave enough to get past her flame haired death stare...

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
We are a female couple who share the driving. Our van is 7.4 metres. The most common question we get asked is an incredulous "do you both drive that thing?" We're not sure if it's admiration or fear that inspires the question.
Remember last year at muddy Peterborough when some funsters were helping to push you off Mags and Shirley? A woman (!) suggested it may be better if a man got behind the wheel. A stony silence followed. All us female drivers felt sorry for her as she must have either been under the thumb, fully dependent, or a bit simple and luckily none of the men dare comment in our presence !

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hilary often gets incredulous, and often 'panic', looks from male drives as she approaches in the van. I really don't understand it these days. I remember my grandfather, a police inspector and driver, saying that the only difference between male and female drivers is that ladies tended to be either very good or appalling, with the vast majority as very good as they had better attention to detail. Most women didn't think they were as good as they actually were. Men on the other hand fell anywhere between very good and appalling, but most thought they were a lot better than they actually were! He died almost half a century ago, but I've often had cause to agree with his assessment.

We share the driving, but for a long time I couldn't drive with my ankle problems, so she happily and very competently did it all including Antwerp in the rush hour!

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
We had two occasions when Fiona was driving where I had to admire her self control.

One the isle of Harris Fiona was preparing to reverse as we had decided the single road we were on would not offer any wild camping. A local stopped to see if we were lost, nice friendly helpful chap but his first comment to me was "why wasn't I driving"

Then when we broke down I was up the road re-siting in warning triangle when the tow truck arrived.
So the drivers first question to Fiona was "did your husband say what had happened"

My first off the cuff reply for Fiona would be " I have not let him drive anything since that Jail sentence for a road rage incident".And I'm sure if you mentioned a machete was involved, then I don't think there would be anymore flippant remarks to contend with.
Usually I think of a killer put down line 24 hours after it would have been effective. If the magic works , I will repost.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Remember last year at muddy Peterborough when some funsters were helping to push you off Mags and Shirley? A woman (!) suggested it may be better if a man got behind the wheel. A stony silence followed. All us female drivers felt sorry for her as she must have either been under the thumb, fully dependent, or a bit simple and luckily none of the men dare comment in our presence !

I had completely forgotten that Wendy. Yes, everyone was embarrassed except the speaker who was oblivious to the faux pas. To be fair though, we were hugely grateful for the brute strength of the men and women who pushed us out of the mud. ;)

Upvote 0

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
We store our van at a farm and I was driving out along a winding narrow road with vans sticking out at odd angles when an elderly man came running up the path to ask me to stop as he was round the corner at the barrier with a caravan on tow and could not possibly reverse. As he was obviously flustered I said I would reverse my van about 100 yards to a passing space.
He was very thankful and with all sincerity told me that I was quite good at it and practice would make me better!

I just smiled ....tightly.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can't remember anything in particular when I was motorhome driving but one that really pi**es me off is the occasional phone call that goes like this:
Caller : Can I speak to Dr H, please? ( that's me, female, but not admitting it yet)
Me : Who's calling?
Caller : It's ( whoever) from ( wherever) Is it possible to speak to him?
Me: ( give them a second chance) Who do you want?
Caller: Dr H. Is he available?
Me: Well, might be a bit difficult he died some time ago--- but actually he was Mr, I'm Dr but as you want to speak to a man, call somewhere else.

Last time it happened I did feel sorry for the lad left spluttering on the other end of the phone.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The best scathing remark I made was at a Motorhome show to a trader .... after looking at a van which I really did want to purchase .. I asked him to give me the financial and technical information on it... He said, 'hadn't we better wait until your husband gets here.'

My scathing remark was You have just lost a sale ....

I then purchased one from another trader two stalls up.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

I just love that story.

Women are human beings just like men & there is no reason why they should be looked upon as lesser drivers. I honestly think that there are as many bad men drivers as women, therefor just as many good women drivers as men drivers, in fact dare I say it, in they're younger years woman are far less likely to drive recklessly & certainly aren't driving whilst high on testosterone!

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Gwen as some may know does ALL the driving of our 9m 5 tonne van - all over Europe and Morocco down as far as the Tropic of Capricorn an the Sahara desert.
She is a fairly formidable sort I cant remember that she has ever had any "female driver" type remarks. In Morocco there was a fair amount of confusion amonst the gendarmerie when we were stopped for speeding because they couldnt get their heads around the fact that a woman was driving such a large vehicle.
When we lived in America she answered the phone to be asked by a cold caller if they could speak to the man of the house. "Can you tell me what its about?" She said.
"Are you able to make financial decisions? The cold caller asked.
"Yes, and I've just made one" she replied and put the phone down.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
My first off the cuff reply for Fiona would be " I have not let him drive anything since that Jail sentence for a road rage incident".And I'm sure if you mentioned a machete was involved, then I don't think there would be anymore flippant remarks to contend with.
Usually I think of a killer put down line 24 hours after it would have been effective. If the magic works , I will repost.
Second draft.
Fiona says "I wouldn't let him drive anything after that prison sentence for that road rage incident. That chap was unlucky with his comments about my driving to me and who would have thought , that there was a baseball bat at the side of the road.
He is a softie really but very protective of me and when he loses it!!!. I wonder if he has taken his pills today to keep him calm. I won't ask , as it could upset him.
Ah there you are petal, this man was just telling me, what a good driver I was

Upvote 0

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003

Thankfully, I've never been subject to such comments, but I'd really love to have a succinct, suitably cutting, and preferably witty reply to hand, should the occasion ever arise.

In the car, I'm more than happy to let 'im indoors drive, and I can doze off. But in the 'van, unless I'm too tired to keep my eyes open, it'll be me behind the wheel. I love driving it, manual choke and all, and it's ME who does all the manoeuvring, especially on site - because I'm better at it! (Besides, that way, HE can get out to fill the water tank, empty the waste tank, etc ;). I'm not stupid.)

The Motorhome trader and Financial cold caller examples above made me smile (with rather malicious glee). The closest I can get to those was somebody cold calling at the door trying to sell something, and asking my 'red rag to a bull' question: was I a Miss, Mrs or Ms (it's a question that always annoys me, as men are "Mr" regardless of their marital status). I just said "yes", before proceeding to get rid of him.

Sadly, neither of those two delightful retorts quite applies to comments about driving. So I'm still hoping for inspiration, along with Geoff and Fiona.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
on a campsite a few years ago the warden commented on us being two ladies alone in a van, not unkindly I should add. When we didn't respond he said,
"Oh no! Are your husbands dead?"
Tact not his strong point but it made us laugh.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Some of these stories made me smile :D2
We've not yet face any such remarks, but then hubby does do most of the driving because he tends to get car sick as a passenger and he really enjoys driving. I however do most of the maneuvering - especially anything requiring a bit more finesse eg. putting it on ramps.
Anything remotely financial or technical is most definitely my job - no point even asking him LOL

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think my wife drives ours more than me these days.

She is much better at reversing it than me although obviously I am the best overall driver by miles.(y)

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd have loved my ex partner to share driving the motorhomes and campers, a further ex from years back used to share towing the caravan etc and it was always a bonus.
My mother learned to drive my parents motorhome after my dad had his first heart attack and soon became much better at driving it than he ever was.
And my sister and husband although they share the driving she has always done the majority of it but then she drove army chuck wagons for years when she was a territorial army chef :)

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I would like my wife to drive the van but she won't as she wrote off our caravan years ago and is worried she might do the same in the motorhome. Eminently competent in her own car but gets flustered trying to drive anything else like my car. I'm sure it's just a lack of confidence but if that's how she wants it then I don't push her.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have found that I have to be assertive in order to be able to drive or else hubby assumes it is his right to get in driver's seat.
When we collected our MH from dealer in Portsmouth we had car with us and I just jumped in first and said I'll drive the MH home, you take the car!
Even after 47 years he still says "oh you want to drive do you?" If I manage to rush out of house first and get in driver's seat of car or MH.

It must be all those years of having children where he was sat in drive ready to go while I had to round up kids, get all the stuff ready for the journey etc. Luckily he doesn't mind, but there is always a comment.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Not a driving story but equally typical. When Sue was a bank consultant she qualified for a luxury W/E holiday in Spain with other winners from around the country. From the moment we arrived it was assumed that I, being the male, was the consultant and she was "the little woman". All w/e we did not disburse them and Sue had a lovely time not having to talk shop etc and I just ignored the macho blokes it was only at the Gala dinner we decided to tell them! Deep joy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back