Wind power question for Snowbird

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by GJH, Sep 29, 2011.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Started this new thread in order not to hijack the Aldi satellite thread.

That's interesting Dave as, when I looked at the VAWT earlier this year I couldn't work out a satisfactory mounting method.

We don't have a bike rack but do have the fittings/clamps to take a 1 inch diameter TV aerial pole. So, my questions are:
    What diameter is the pole you got from Maplins and do you have a link to their web site?
    If the diameter is OK I assume that I would need to have a pole long enough to reach to the ground in order to take the weight?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi Graham, The pole is 1 1/2" diameter and is crimped at both ends so as to be able to join them. each length is about 6 feet so can easily be stored.
    I got some clamps from a local TV aerial shop and clamped a short 1 1/2" bar to the top of one of the poles which takes the clamp that comes with the windmill.
    The other clamp clamps to the bike rack, or if you have a ladder up the back of the van it will clamp to this. Sorry about not being able to do links,am not that conversant with puters. If you go to your local Maplins and ask for the 2 piece aerial mast they will know what your talking about. I think it was about £20. The clamps were about £6 for the 2. I found the magnets were not strong enough in the gusts we had at Shepton this year,that's why I went for the pole,and it works better being well clear of the van as long as you don't park next to those awful RVs taking our wind and sun:Wink: Hope this is of some help.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Dave. Looks like you might have dropped in lucky :Smile: I looked in the Maplins on-line catalogue and the only 2 piece mast they have is 10 feet by 1.4 inch in two sections for £19.99 - but it's marked as discontinued :cry:

Looks like I'll have to keep thinking :Smile:

4. Snowbird

Thats probably the one Graham. Give em a call and ask if they can check other stores to find one.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'll have to check but I have a feeling that the clamp system I have won't take 1.4 inch diameter tube. Perhaps I'll have to take the van down to Maplins and ask them if what I have is feasible :Smile:

6. Snowbird

The clamps I got will take upto about 3" tube. Will take a photo later and post.

Any arial rigger should have them in stock...if you cant get em localy I will get em here and post to you.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Dave. Trouble is my real problem is that the clamping system I have is just the aerial mounts/clamps produced by Grade UK.

Attached photo is of an attempt to use them to try to keep the starter battery topped up several years ago before I realised the little Maplins solar panel was pretty useless :Laughing:

Attached Files:

• sp4.jpg
      sp4.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Snowbird

Those are definatly not man enough for the wind charger Graham.
    Do you have a ladder on the back of the van?. If so the clamps I have will do an admaral job. They are like a double U clamp if you know what I mean, and clamp your pole to the ladder.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Dave. I was pretty sure that would be the case.

Unfortunately not. Looks like we will have to save some pennies/win the Ernie bonds/rob a bank to buy another van with a ladder :BigGrin:

Very useful to be able to benefit from your experience before wasting money.

10. Snowbird

Have you thought of those things the car dealers have. Its like a small thing that they park the car on and then put a flagpole in it. Dead simple to get someone to make you one up or have a troll round your local car dealerships. Maybe you could scrounge one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Popeye

Popeye Funster

What a crackin' idea, I've probably got one you could have, I'll have a look on Monday, they would definitely do the job.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Certainly worth looking at id they come apart. With a little van like ours I wouldn't get it in otherwise :BigGrin:

Thanks for the generous offer. Great if we could make it work.

I might just try sidling round some local dealers and offer to save them cleaning one :BigGrin:

13. Snowbird

You only nead the foot Graham. If you can get hold of the Maplin pole it will fit into the shoe. Jobs a gooden.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Dave. I'll see what I can come up with.