LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Aldi do two types so make sure first which is which to meet your needs.

There is the camping variety which comes in a bag or suitcase and runs on both mains & 12 volt. We bought one a couple of years ago, added a home made tripod (converted washing line stand) and it works OK in this country (which is all we want).

The other (which was on offer a few weeks ago) is a mains only system and designed for use only as a permanent installation. I haven't tried one but somebody on another forum bought one and said it was fine.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had the 12 volt one for some time and have recently upgraded to the Maplin 12 volt HD one. The Aldi one was OK but didn't like varying power ie, 12 to 13.5 volts up it. If buying the Aldi reciever I advise a stabilized power supply. Am now of the opinion that although these recievers say they are 12 volt you realy nead a stabalized supply as motorhome 12 volts are not always 12 volt as we all know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's interesting Dave. At Stratford show our kit went wrong and I eventually had to do a factory reset to get it going again. I suspected some sort of power spike may have caused it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mornin Graham, the Aldi receiver used to show a fault code when I first plugged it in. I then had to keep unplugging and plugging till it settled down. Since fitting the stabilized supply I have had no problem. Have got a stabilized supply on the TV as well now. I think since using a good solar system and the wind generator the battery voltages are constantly up.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Tevion (Aldi) receiver, no probs , well only the one, never put it down to 12v issues..

Dave , how are you getting on with the wind project?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a Tevion (Aldi) receiver, no probs , well only the one, never put it down to 12v issues..

Dave , how are you getting on with the wind project?

Hi Dave, The windmill does everything it says on the box. Am well pleased with it. Have scraped the idea of roof fixing and got a 2 piece pole from Maplins.
It clamps to the bike rack on the back of the van and gives more height.
Am now busy working on a tracking solar system made from an old analog satellite dish.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a rather posy self seeking system on the van.. but ALWAYS carry my £59 Aldi special with me as back up!

Bought it about 4 years ago and it has never yet failed to get me SOMETHING to watch, even right down in to central Italy.

My advise would be buy one.

Do take advise on setting up, do get a half decent compass, do look on the Sky web site for angle and direction to point the dish.

The first few times you set it up it will seem fiddly and horrid to do.. But the more you do it the easier it will get !

If possible set it up with the help of someone who has done it a few times as there are certain tricks that make it really easy

Today, I would be sorely disappointed in my self if it took me more than 4 or 5 minutes to set up from start to finish

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The Aldi kits are fine and a real good buy especially when on offer.
Virtually all the receivers used come from the same factory via a company called Comag in Germany... The dish and mounting are the weak link as the tightening screws wear and they can start to wobble or come loose. However use it for a while and then just buy a cheap sky mini dish off ebay when you see one going.
ALSO the cable used is the lowest spec you can get and I have known them to come from the factory without proper connections, ie all the braid cut off and you need that to make the ground / negative connection to the LNB.. So again, use the kit for a while and later invest in some better cable.

OH... An dont mention these kits to my wife.. I used to import them 1,000 a time and she had to pack em into those little suitcases.. :ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
hehehhe
the first time i set my aldi setup up was at home to check it all worked, thought hey this is dead easy, piece of cake (i just checked with my sky dish on the house and lined the alsi one up accordingly and hey presto). When in france near Abbeyville on a site was the next time i tried and i kid you not an hour and half later just as i was about to give up i finally got the right satelite and yes i had used a compass and the thing that comes in the box, had had the signal squealing time and time again.

Advice when setting up and moving dish around to find satelite its a small fraction at a time and leave a few seconds before moving again to give the system time to catch up, i must of kept missing it time and time again by doing it too fast

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back