Wind Out Awning,question

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Kevingrc, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Kevingrc

Kevingrc Funster

I'd say this is a silly question but I've been told on here there aren't any silly questions so, with a wind out awning what angle should it be to the floor when wound out, is there a specific angle ? Thanks Kevin

2. daveinspain

daveinspain Funster

I just raise mine high enough so you don't clout the hab door on the support arm.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bluestar

Bluestar Funster

Don't know but I just go with High enough to walk under with a slant for water to run off, and of course if you have an awning/safari room that will set the height/angle (I think) :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. golly

golly Funster

Don't forget, of rain is forecast to have one corner lower than the other to prevent water collecting.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ian is B

Ian is B

Just so long as the legs are actually giving reasonable support!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

When you've wound out your awning don't leave it unattended as a strong wind could cause serious damage

• Like Like x 4
  7. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi if you are talking about the wind out canopy type which does not require support legs when out then I think as long as it's mounted as per their instructions ie in a verticle plane then it should have the necessary angle when deployed...
    Having said that mine seen in the photo (avtar) is still too flat... There was some adjustment on the mounts but not enough...
    Wish I had taken a bit more care when mounting it..
    I think there should be a fall to one side as well which I don't have.
    Ta andy

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kevingrc

Kevingrc Funster

Thanks everyone, @andy63 mine isn't like yours pal it has legs I was just worried if I didn't have the legs at right height it might be putting strain on side of van if that makes sense, or is there some movement in the mechanism?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Instructions for deployment are usually to wind out a maximum of 1 metre before putting the legs down in contact with the floor (at this point they will need extending to reach) and then continue to wind and move the legs ahead of the travel. The leg has a minimum length so you cannot go any lower and that should be safe with regards to strain on your mountings when fully wound out. Most people raise it to a height that is most convenient for their use or as said so the hab door doesn't foul.

• Like Like x 3
  10. andy63

andy63 Funster

I know what you mean now but never had one of that type , mine is basically an unsupported canopy when out...
    The ones ive helped put up seem to have quite a bit of slack in the system... but a pain to erect if you are making an a room .
    Ta andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Tell the truth Andy, it's a burger van you've got!:giggle::giggle:

• Like Like x 2
  12. andy63

andy63 Funster

:cry:
    haha Grant, you know how to hurt someone....:cry::cry:

:moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2:

13. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

I have mine at about 6'5" as I am 6'3", I have the leg at the furthest end from my kitchen tent about 1" lower to give run off in the event that it may rain, I also peg both of the feet down or lash, incase of strong gusts.
    I am sure you will soon find the right angle etc for you, one windy wet day is all it takes!:D:D(y)
    See below!

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have the front edge high enough so I don't bang my head so about 6'6" with a slope of 2-3 inches in case of rain. I use the support legs into brackets on the van wall as we have a dog who sometimes has to be on a running lead. Legs pegged down to the ground will have the lead wrapped round them.
    The brackets are supplied by Fiamma and are a great improvement on having the legs on the ground, though oddly I don't think I've seen anyone else use them. Apologies for the mess in the pic. WP_20150518_002.jpg

This is our regular pitch on our favourite site (Camping du Lion in Bourg-st-Andeol -ACSI). Most of what is in the picture is our pitch, we like a bit of space.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I use the van leg clips on mine if the ground is too hard for pegs (usually tarmac or concrete). I don't use the van clips all the time because I tend to walk into the arms :).

In answer to the original question: set it any height you want as long as the legs take most of the weight. The top pivots (in the casing on the van) are sprung to allow you to set it where you want.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kevingrc

Kevingrc Funster

The pivoting was what I wasn't sure about , thanks @tonyidle

17. WillH

WillH Funster

As above, leave one side lower than the other, a few inches. We left the van at a site in Lyon while we visited the city, came back to find gallons of water in the awning even though we had left it slightly lower at one side. Nearly wrecked the awning and they are not cheap! We now don't leave it up if we are to be away all day and take it in at night if there is any chance of wind or heavy rain.

• Like Like x 1