Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'd say this is a silly question but I've been told on here there aren't any silly questions so, with a wind out awning what angle should it be to the floor when wound out, is there a specific angle ? Thanks Kevin

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Don't know but I just go with High enough to walk under with a slant for water to run off, and of course if you have an awning/safari room that will set the height/angle (I think) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi if you are talking about the wind out canopy type which does not require support legs when out then I think as long as it's mounted as per their instructions ie in a verticle plane then it should have the necessary angle when deployed...
Having said that mine seen in the photo (avtar) is still too flat... There was some adjustment on the mounts but not enough...
Wish I had taken a bit more care when mounting it..
I think there should be a fall to one side as well which I don't have.
Ta andy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone, @andy63 mine isn't like yours pal it has legs I was just worried if I didn't have the legs at right height it might be putting strain on side of van if that makes sense, or is there some movement in the mechanism?

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Instructions for deployment are usually to wind out a maximum of 1 metre before putting the legs down in contact with the floor (at this point they will need extending to reach) and then continue to wind and move the legs ahead of the travel. The leg has a minimum length so you cannot go any lower and that should be safe with regards to strain on your mountings when fully wound out. Most people raise it to a height that is most convenient for their use or as said so the hab door doesn't foul.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks everyone, @andy63 mine isn't like yours pal it has legs I was just worried if I didn't have the legs at right height it might be putting strain on side of van if that makes sense, or is there some movement in the mechanism?

I know what you mean now but never had one of that type , mine is basically an unsupported canopy when out...
The ones ive helped put up seem to have quite a bit of slack in the system... but a pain to erect if you are making an a room .
Ta andy

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
I have mine at about 6'5" as I am 6'3", I have the leg at the furthest end from my kitchen tent about 1" lower to give run off in the event that it may rain, I also peg both of the feet down or lash, incase of strong gusts.
I am sure you will soon find the right angle etc for you, one windy wet day is all it takes!:D:D(y)
See below!

image.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the front edge high enough so I don't bang my head so about 6'6" with a slope of 2-3 inches in case of rain. I use the support legs into brackets on the van wall as we have a dog who sometimes has to be on a running lead. Legs pegged down to the ground will have the lead wrapped round them.
The brackets are supplied by Fiamma and are a great improvement on having the legs on the ground, though oddly I don't think I've seen anyone else use them. Apologies for the mess in the pic.
WP_20150518_002.jpg

This is our regular pitch on our favourite site (Camping du Lion in Bourg-st-Andeol -ACSI). Most of what is in the picture is our pitch, we like a bit of space.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have the front edge high enough so I don't bang my head so about 6'6" with a slope of 2-3 inches in case of rain. I use the support legs into brackets on the van wall as we have a dog who sometimes has to be on a running lead. Legs pegged down to the ground will have the lead wrapped round them.
The brackets are supplied by Fiamma and are a great improvement on having the legs on the ground, though oddly I don't think I've seen anyone else use them. Apologies for the mess in the pic.View attachment 67826

This is our regular pitch on our favourite site (Camping du Lion in Bourg-st-Andeol -ACSI). Most of what is in the picture is our pitch, we like a bit of space.

I use the van leg clips on mine if the ground is too hard for pegs (usually tarmac or concrete). I don't use the van clips all the time because I tend to walk into the arms :).

In answer to the original question: set it any height you want as long as the legs take most of the weight. The top pivots (in the casing on the van) are sprung to allow you to set it where you want.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use the van leg clips on mine if the ground is too hard for pegs (usually tarmac or concrete). I don't use the van clips all the time because I tend to walk into the arms :).

In answer to the original question: set it any height you want as long as the legs take most of the weight. The top pivots (in the casing on the van) are sprung to allow you to set it where you want.

The pivoting was what I wasn't sure about , thanks @tonyidle

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As above, leave one side lower than the other, a few inches. We left the van at a site in Lyon while we visited the city, came back to find gallons of water in the awning even though we had left it slightly lower at one side. Nearly wrecked the awning and they are not cheap! We now don't leave it up if we are to be away all day and take it in at night if there is any chance of wind or heavy rain.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back