wild camping and water refill

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by duetto owner, Jul 31, 2009.

1. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

After a few tips on finding a tap to fill up the water tank when wild camping.

where do you fill up from, do you call it at camp sites and ask to use the water tap to fill up with.

or do garages help out?

lost on any other options being a novice still what do you do!!!!!!!

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cemetry ,parks ,garages ,the best bet is only fill say a 20 litre container. keep your eyes open never miss an oportunity but dont be greedy. most public toilets in uk have drinking water at the taps. carry a short length of hose with a push on fitting for hand basin use.

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

As we use our MH very little in the UK and spend most of the year in France, Spain and Portugal what we do may not be practial for the UK,

On the back of our bikes we have plastic box's that can hold 2 X 5ltr water bottles, on shower days we use 20ltr's per day and on non shower days we use 10 ltr's per day. This means that collecting the water is not a problem. We never have to fill the tank as it never gets empty.

The kind of places we get the water from is:... puplic taps, markets were we shop, friends homes. getting water has never been a problem.

Doug...

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

when we wild camp we get water when we put fuel in never had any problems

5. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Out of 16 countries, the only place where we had to make special efforts to get water was the southern half of the UK. There we asked before we filled up with fuel. No tap or refusal meant no fuel purchased

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just struck me. Was refusal perhaps linked to the fact that the supply was metered - and, thus, an extra cost to the business concerned?

Our window cleaner always fills his buckets from our outside tap. At the moment it is not metered but I wouldn't dream of stoping him even if it ever becomes metered. Might be a significant cost to a business though if several people started taking several gallons.

Graham

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i think you could be right about cost to garage . its their choice sell fuel or lose a sale .you get alot of water for the price of 1 litre of fuel. i think regular small fills are better than waiting for the tank to empty . even in a small village shop take a 10litre/5 lt container when you buy bread ,never been refused if its only a small container.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

fit one of these........WATER FILTER......and you can use water from ANY source without any worries :thumb:

makes natural spring water look dirty:BigGrin:

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i use a similar one by royal doulton supposed to be able to recycle your own water,waste not want not. i have not tried it for that yet .any one like to have a drink of water?

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Surprised no one has mentioned... Cemeterys .. always a tap at the gate .. :thumb:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

should have gone to specsavers Jim:Doh::BigGrin::Smile:

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that's probably the problem.. I DID , just got new bins and can't see squat .. doh