WiFi enabled phone

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Randonneur, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Randonneur

Randonneur Read Only Funster

Thinking of buying a PayGo Wifi enabled mobile phone. Can anyone tell me that when using the Wifi on a free connection is there a charge on the credit of the phone. When I connect my laptop to a Free WiFi connection there is no charge, is it the same with these mobile phones.

2. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Apple iphone has free web browsing,I know you said pay and go,but some of the monthly tarriffs are pretty good :thumb:

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes it's free but be careful that you are using WiFi by turning the phone side off otherwise you might get an internet link via the phone and cost yourself a fortune.

4. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

The phone should detect any available wifi automatically and if it can use it it will if not it will revert to going through the phone which as hilldweller has said will cost a fortune.

5. tofo

tofo Funster

Can't use my I phone to connect(dongl type way)
    laptop with the Internet
    unless I pay extra £15,00 per mnth

but I can use it as a standalone access
    either wifi or 3g

In another thread today I posted my
    telephone wire along with about 2000
    others has been stolen
    tried using I phone to surf
    wouldn't connect had to turn wifi off
    as my witless router was telling
    I phone it had access
    turned off wifi on the phone 3gconnected straight away
    if out I do get offered Bt/openzone
    but the price is horrendous
    in my book hope this helps

6. tofo

tofo Funster

I phone payg at 02 comes with a Internet sim
    which is free for 12mnths believe its£10,00a mnth

plus top ups for calls

I bought a 30day rolling contract sim
    which gave me a bolt on Internet
    but not to enable use as a dongle
    without further charge
    all up £20. Per mnth

you can use thephone as a micro computer
    I even used to search and by some special socks
    and they was delivered

You cN also set it up to read your emails
    and right them
    this was sent from the iPhone
    I don't get the lappy out as much now

7. Randonneur

WiFi Mobile Phone

Many thanks for your posts but unfortunately monthly tarifs are very expensive here in France, that is why I have a PayGo.

8. hilldweller

Another thought - I wonder if a 2 gadget solution might be easier ? Conventional phone and some form of cheap WiFi tablet. Haven't I seen things like portable Playstation, Archos, Sony all doing internet WiFi ?

I love my HTC phone which does do all this but it's a pain due to limited screen size.

9. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Browsing the internet on a phone. I just dont get it. I have had an iphone for about a month now and I can honestly say its the most over rated pile of cr*p I have ever used. The only thing its good for is checking emails. Half the sites you visit dont display properly if they use Flash and unless you can point me in the direction of an acutal useful application then I see no advantage over my old Nokia N95. Actually the Nokia was better. Better camera, easy to download and transfer stuff without using crappy itunes and you could use it as a modem.

As far as surfing the net is concerned, get a laptop I reckon.

10. hilldweller

Spooky - just received this in an email. It's WinCE so same OS as some mobile phones, decent sized screen and CHEAP.

http://www.saverstore.com/product/2...x480WVGA-Silver-WIN-CE-4GB-Solid-State--128MB

11. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Following on from Hilldweller's post. iPod touch has WiFi capability and the screen is surprisingly clear to read with easy zoom control.

Its also very discreet and you can get a free 'app' to trace wifi hotspots and sort out free and paid for connection.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  12. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

my nokio N95 can pick up wiifi from places like macdonald/ starbucks but very slow upload Its free

13. Randonneur

WiFi Mobile Phone

Again, many thanks for your replies. I do have a laptop which we take away with us, but all I want is when we are on foot is to be able to access emails not surf the net. We came back recently from a month in Portugal and went by train a lot of the time so the laptop is inconvenient to lug about. The Wifi on the site we stayed at was not very stable so it was off more days than it was on, so unless we took the laptop out with us for the day on the train we were unable to receive our emails.

14. pendy

pendy Read Only Funster

I have a Sony Ericsson W995 excellent for picking up Wifi hotspots, but xmas the mrs bought me a Samsung nc-10 notebook ,great for the van and for £30.00 I bought a 9hr battery off e-bay, so 12 hrs battery life total, and only a couple of kilo to move around in a normal daysack.

15. jaygee

jaygee Funster

I also bought small cer notebook whick I carried around in my bag when we travelled Vietnam for month of November - invaluable and didn't weigh much. I have even taken it out once in my handbag so friends could book theatre tickets online when we got together!

16. hilldweller

17. wkdtroll

wkdtroll Read Only Funster

Hi

I have read this thread with great interest - as I too have been searching for 'The Holy Grail' or cheap WiFi, particularly abroad.

Here's something that may help and probably be of interest to all world travelling funsters.

Try this link: https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/home/mobile/handsets.taf

Basically UW (or Telecom Plus as they used to be known) provide a mobile service (actually through T Mobile) which for £24 per month you get a SIM only which is a data SIM - ie. it receives Internet and EMail - but here's the hit:

IT IS FREE ROAMING ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

You pay for your calls and texts(8p per minute I think - dearer abroad so get a SIM for the country you are visiting for cheaper calls).

You need an unlocked handset (iPhone, Blackberry etc) and all you do is pop the SIM in the handset log onto the TMobile site to set up your email (it works with POP3 mailboxes too) and off you go.

I used my Blackberry in the middle of the Masi Mara and was browsing the BBC News website (whilst impressing the locals with the African News!)

I rue the day that I sold my Blackberry handset and gave up the SIM (financial reasons) as it has cost me an arm and a leg in roaming charges when I ventured abroad!!)

Hope this helps....and NO I have do not have any connection to UW!!:BigGrin:

18. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Thanks for the link.

Maybe Im being thick but I cant see where it says free roaming. I can see that it allows you 50MB per month and then £2.75 per MB after which is no use to man nor beast for anything more than checking your mail on your phone (not browsing).

What we really needs is a fixed tarrif for data anywhere in Europe up to say 3GB or even 1GB would do but I dont think it will happen. If we had that you could put your sim in a dongle, plug it into the laptop, throw the useless Blackberry or iphone out of the van window and surf the net on your laptop.

19. wkdtroll

wkdtroll Read Only Funster

They don't actually promote it much cos they want you to get a handset from them. If you ask them for a 'data enabled' SIM Valuecall Blackberry SIM only (@ £23 pm) this certainly used to provide free worldwide roaming. Worth ringing them to check.

I am certainly looking at taking this up again particularly as the new blackberry and smart phones enable you to connect to a PC and use the phone as a modem (something my old blackberry wouldn't do). Or as you say simply put the SIM in an unlocked dongle.

:Smile:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  20. Randonneur

WiFi phone

Many thanks for everybody's help. I have just ordered an unlocked Dual Sim WiFi Touch Screen Phone that will, hopefully, allow me to use my French PayGo Sim and also the UK T Mobile PayGo sim we have(we only use this when we visit the UK) or a Portugese PayGo sim that we intend to purchase. This will mean that when we are out and about we only have to take one phone and get our emails without taking the laptop. We will then use the laptop when it is more convenient. I am hoping that this will work for us but we can only try. Most of the year we are in France but we intend spending 2 months in the Winter in Portugal.