Why does my voltage rise to 15.1v ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have a Victron Mppt 75/15 connected ,now , to an Yuasa 85 AH battery fed from 2 x 100w panels. (previous battery was a 120Ah lead acid )
I changed the previous mppt controller,which was a reasonable chinese one, because it kept showing 15,1v when charging?
I noticed the other day that when fully in the sun the victron is showing the same? just checking it now & it has dropped to 14.9v & according to the flashing lights is on absorption. I've never noticed it before at 15,1v on this controller & was wondering why it goes that high? Is there a problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you checked the voltage with a know accurate meter as that would be the first step.
If it is definitely high check the setting on the controller if OK it would point to a faulty controller.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Victron Mppt 75/15 connected ,now , to an Yuasa 85 AH battery fed from 2 x 100w panels. (previous battery was a 120Ah lead acid )
I changed the previous mppt controller,which was a reasonable chinese one, because it kept showing 15,1v when charging?
I noticed the other day that when fully in the sun the victron is showing the same? just checking it now & it has dropped to 14.9v & according to the flashing lights is on absorption. I've never noticed it before at 15,1v on this controller & was wondering why it goes that high? Is there a problem.

Is battery voltage being shown as 15.1v in the Victron Connect app or on another voltage readout you have, or both ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I recently read something, maybe on here, where someone was getting incorrect readings on a multimeter. Turned out needed a new battery in the meter, worth a look just in case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Have you checked the voltage with a know accurate meter as that would be the first step.
If it is definitely high check the setting on the controller if OK it would point to a faulty controller.
No I hadn't bu:giggle:t I have now
Lenny HB I tend to agree BUT both controllers showing same high voltage... ??
Yes .it should have been a clue?:LOL:
Is battery voltage being shown as 15.1v in the Victron Connect app or on another voltage readout you have, or both ?
Nail on the head. It is on a standalone generic readout. That obviously reads high.:rolleyes::doh:
How are you measuring it. Sounds to me the measuring method may be out?
Yes as above a generic display.

Yes thanks to all. Why I never checked the display with a meter on the battery is a mystery? :doh::unsure:
battery voltage at terminals for the AGm is 14.13v & victron is flashing as on absorption.
12v outlets on Victron are reading 13.84v
Both 12v plug in voltage display checks in 12v sockets are showing 14,3v front (van batt) & back (hab batt).
van battery is 14.17v but the display unit is showing 14,9-15v at present in the sun.
So it means the actual display is inaccurate.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My Victron 75/15 failed in Spain a few years ago. The voltage shot up and the batteries were being fried. From memory Victron have a 5 year warranty so dig out the receipt if it is under that age.

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
My Victron 75/15 failed in Spain a few years ago. The voltage shot up and the batteries were being fried. From memory Victron have a 5 year warranty so dig out the receipt if it is under that age.

Yes problem is I thought the chinese one was playing up & ,without checking the voltages , I changed it for the Victron. Now I have checked, it appears both are working ok:rolleyes:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Another thing to look out for, in the settings, it’s the equalisation charge, disable it if you have sealed or LiFePo4. After absorb, it passes in the equalisation stage, that is quite a bit higher than absorb, usually 15-15,1v. It only goes to equalise after a full absorb. The reason some will not pick up on it if you have loads and absorb never finishes. But, that odd day it comes where absorb is complete, and steps in equalising mode.
Make sure is disabled if not needed.

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Oohh noo you mentioned AGM in a battery post.🤬🤬🤬
I got given it foc, one of a pair that came from a golf cart. I got the best one.:giggle:
For sale 1 x MPPT solar charge controller. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
No , with all the other bits i nearly have enough to convert another van.:LOL:
I suffered in silence. :giggle:
As above.When I was in the uk in 2019 my mate who always plugged his van in,but never turned on the charger:unsure:, decided he needed 2 new hab batteries .so I had the old ones. I used one temprarily fitted in the Uk & that finally expired earlier this year. It lasted far longer than I thought it would. The other was not holding a charge so I gave it to may mate here to use on the odd occasions he needed to start his tractor.
The agm was used as it had sat there charged & holding it perfectly for months & as I don't have a call for large amounts of power i thought that would be ok until i travel to the uk & can pick some up at a reasonable price. Since this year I don't even bother attempting to buy stuff from the Uk as too much hassle.Tayna used to be ideal shipping to spain.

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
it’s the equalisation charge, disable it if you have sealed or LiFePo4.
I've just looked at the manual & it says 'set to off ' is the default.So as I haven't changed anything & I am on the 'battery life ' algorithm, it should be ok ,but I will check later

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Batt life algorithm refers to the load side. On the charge side settings, under equalisation, it should be toggled to disabled.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I recently read something, maybe on here, where someone was getting incorrect readings on a multimeter. Turned out needed a new battery in the meter, worth a look just in case.
That is a classic multi-meter fault… You need a 2nd multimeter to check the battery voltage of the first multi-meter! 🤓. (tic)

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Voltage is excessive. Suspect you used same place to take reading. Use an independent digital multimeter connected directly across the leisure battery terminals.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
14.13V could be too low for charging many AGM batteries. This is an extract from the Alpha Batteries AGM Guide.

“AGM batteries are designed to require 14.6v – 14.8v when performing a full charge from a state of discharge, whereas standard lead acid batteries need 13.8v – 14.4v, hence this is what most onboard chargers are designed to deliver – not the 14.6v – 14.8v that AGM requires.”
Found Here.

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
I had exactly that happen a few weeks ago. Just changed the meter battery and it all makes sense again

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
gus-lopez. Richard, I recently found that the onboard voltages on our CBE display panel read about 0.2 - 0.3v higher than the actual voltages. I checked these out again, when I installed a Victron Smart Battery Sense unit. Once fitted, I then double checked the voltages at the batteries (starter and leisure), with a good multi meter. The readings were exactly the same as those on the Victron. unit. (y)

This meant that when getting a reading of 12.7 at the panel, and thinking that the leisure batteries were fully charged, in fact they were not quite, and probably only reading 12.4 - 12.5v. I must admit I was initially a bit surprised at the voltage drop, and have to assume it is down to cable diameter and length between the CBE distribution unit, and the panel. I have checked the manuals, and there is no option for me to recalibrate the panel, so the Victron unit comes into it's own. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
have checked the manuals, and there is no option for me to recalibrate the panel, so the Victron unit comes into it's own.
I thought there was a pot on the pcb that allows you to adjust the calibration, they won't mention it as it is not supposed to be accessible to the user.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I thought there was a pot on the pcb that allows you to adjust the calibration, they won't mention it as it is not supposed to be accessible to the user.

The problem I see with trying to calibrate a meter, is what do you use as a known stable reference voltage, even mains voltage varies in different locations and at different times of day.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The problem I see with trying to calibrate a meter, is what do you use as a known stable reference voltage, even mains voltage varies in different locations and at different times of day.
To start with mains has nothing to with it we are measuring 12v DC.
Even the cheapest digital meters are incredibly accurate more than enough to calibrate the panel meter. If concerned you pretty well guantee a new meter will be accurate or you can by a "calibrated" meter for a few quid more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back