Victron Controller Seems to Have Failed (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My Victron 75/15 MPPT controller seems to have failed. Just in case I've missed something obvious here is what happened.

We stopped to do some shopping this morning and I noticied the Webasto control panel was showing a red light and a warning about high voltage. It then started to shut itself down.

The NASA BM1 showed 15.6 volts and 6 amps charging!

Leaving Mrs DBK to do the shopping on her own I climbed into the back of the wardrobe and disconnected the solar panels. Things and voltages then returned to normal.

With the immediate danger of damage out of the way I left things until this afternoon to re-investigate.

I've twice disconnected the batteries from the controller, reconnected them then the solar panels. Both times the battery voltage quickly shoots up to over 15 volts. I've double checked the battery voltage with a meter and it matches what the BM1 is showing.

I think the controller must have failed but if anyone can suggest an alternative I'd welcome it.

I'lI try emailing Victron to see if there is any way to reset it.

Suggestions where to buy a replacement in the Algeciras/Cadiz area would also be welcome. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
any Good ?
Broken Link Removed
Thank you - looking elsewhere on that site I found plenty near Barcelona and Valencia but nothing down here. I've contacted a Victron agent but they only deal wholesale. I've asked them where else I can buy one around here but they haven't replied yet. I've also asked Victron in NL. You can change the charging program with a jumper and this might be worth trying. Again, I've Victron for their thoughts. :)

No panic at the moment as we are probably going to be on campsites for the next couple of weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not from experience but from reading i gather some charge controllers can generate those sort of charging voltages ie overcharge... intentionally for short periods of time...think the intention is to try and maintain slightly lower voltage cells in the battery..
My other thought was could it be anything to do with temperature sensing...
Only thoughts john but as it did the same when you reconnected it it doesnt sound right...
Hope you can get it sorted or if faulty a satisfactory replacement
Andy.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Would there not be fuses somewhere tween - incase?...

I ask as I have nothing to “monitor” etc... and if a failure like you described; occurs... :eek:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I was wondering if the connection to the battery is loose, or if the fuse connection is loose

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A fuse is a bit pointless between the solar panel and the controller. There are virtually no circumstances that would cause it to blow. For example, if a solar panel could normally produce 5 amps, there is no way it could produce the 8 amps or more required to blow a 5 amp fuse.

Of course some people fit them as a convenient isolation device, but a switch is just as good.

It's true that a controller fault could cause a high current to flow from the battery, but that's what the fuse on the battery side is there for.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not from experience but from reading i gather some charge controllers can generate those sort of charging voltages ie overcharge... intentionally for short periods of time...think the intention is to try and maintain slightly lower voltage cells in the battery..
My other thought was could it be anything to do with temperature sensing...
Only thoughts john but as it did the same when you reconnected it it doesnt sound right...
Hope you can get it sorted or if faulty a satisfactory replacement
Andy.
This is a possible answer. Reading the manual it has an "equalisation" mode which by default is off. But if it is turned on it can produce high voltages similar to what I've seen. If it doesn't succeed in a day it gives up trying until the next scheduled period. So I might give it another go tomorrow.

It doesn't have a battery temperature sensor so this shouldn't be an issue - but everything is worth considering.

I ask as I have nothing to “monitor” etc... and if a failure like you described; occurs... :eek:

Everything is working perfectly apart from this so I don't think any fuse has blown.

I was wondering if the connection to the battery is loose, or if the fuse connection is loose

It could be, I replaced the batteries just before we set off so perhaps something has worked loose but on the other hand it was not just a high voltage but a high current. I wouldn't have thought you would get the latter with a loose connection - but I'll check.

A fuse is a bit pointless between the solar panel and the controller. There are virtually no circumstances that would cause it to blow. For example, if a solar panel could normally produce 5 amps, there is no way it could produce the 8 amps or more required to blow a 5 amp fuse.

Of course some people fit them as a convenient isolation device, but a switch is just as good.

It's true that a controller fault could cause a high current to flow from the battery, but that's what the fuse on the battery side is there for.

Yes, I don't have fuses on the PV side as they can be shorted without causing harm - I did this by accident this afternoon. :)

Reading the manual again has been useful though! I didn't realise the need to connect the batteries first before the solar only has to be done once. Thereafter the unit knows the voltage it should use.

What I am kicking myself over is I don't have the Bluetooth dongle - it seems I could do some resetting of the device if I did.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would also try again as like you say Equalisation charge a possibility for a short period.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I had a Victron charge controller that failed in exactly the same way. Replaced under warranty, but not before it had fried my inverter with over voltage. Too late I discovered that it was pushing out over 17 volts.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Following more diagnostics I've ordered a replacement from a company in Alicante who should despatch it tomorrow to the campsite we are on near Algerciras. €86 including free delivery. :). If it all works out I'll post details of the company as they have been very prompt replying - in English! :)

TBC........

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you need any help ?

Electricity can be dangerous.
To replace it I need arms with three elbows, size double zero hands and the eyesight I had as a teenager.

Failing any of that a few choice swear words may have to suffice. :)

And the dog will know to keep out of the way. :) :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All sorted now. The fault seemed to be it didn't know when to switch into float mode and just kept on charging.

What I did notice on the new controller is it comes with a 5 year guarantee. So I will take the failed unit back to the UK and dig out my receipt for it. :)

The company I dealt with were very helpful. The item was ordered on their website late on Tuesday, it was despatched on Wednesday and arrived on Thursday. Delivery was free. They only do solar stuff but it would be worth noting their details should you ever need some solar help in Spain. :)

https://www.generatupropiaenergia.es/

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased you are sorted John. Good job you had a battery monitor nearly all new vans only have a LED strip showing voltage and it only goes up to 13.5v. So anyone who hasn't fitted a battery monitor wold have fried their batteries long before they found the fault.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I will investigate fitting a voltage alarm when I get back. Something like the one linked to below but there are several alternatives. It looks as if you can set it to warn of both high and low voltages. I suspect the instructions will be a challenge but at the price worth a try. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Doesn't your battery monitor have the facility I think the Victron BMV700 does .After your experience I think I might be setting up one, even more important as I have gels.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Doesn't your battery monitor have the facility I think the Victron BMV700 does .After your experience I think I might be setting up one, even more important as I have gels.
Sadly no but I did email the manufacturer last night suggesting this would be a useful feature. :)

Let us know how you get on if you decide on a monitor. I suspect the screen glows so probably needs to be carefully sited. I'm still getting complaints about the USB sockets I fitted. :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have one of these connected to each of the hab and cab batteries... always in view and lets me know what’s going on all the time...(y)

59A84794-9C93-4104-A0F8-106D6819731F.jpeg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have one of these connected to each of the hab and cab batteries... always in view and lets me know what’s going on all the time...(y)

View attachment 232235
But does it have an alarm? Monitoring the voltage is one thing but I think an alarm is what I need. :)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i know the Victron BMV has a low depth of discharge alarm as i have mine set at 50% DoD. but i don't think it has a high voltage alarm... i'll need to check the manual.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Been looking for a twin usb of more than 0.5a charge!
Any link please?

Just put voltage usb socket in the search on eBay and it comes up with all sorts... but here’s one for starters..

Reactions: DBK

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i stand corrected, the victron BMV 700 also allows the user to set low and high voltage alarms etc, so i'll have a go at this over the weekend.
a very useful feature!
victron 2.PNG

victron 1.PNG

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Just put voltage usb socket in the search on eBay and it comes up with all sorts... but here’s one for starters..
Thanks. I had been looking for some with 2 x 2.1a outlet like yours. Most have 1 x 2.1a & 1 x 1a.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back