why did you buy your motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by motorhomelover, Jan 29, 2012.

1. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

some people like the idea of being a free spirit
    i like the idea of staying where i want when i want at no cost to any one

years ago it was easier now there are more restrictions and we are being forced in to staying on commercial camp sites at over the top prices

some of us do need or want EHU club house and fancy toilet blocks
    not many places left that are back to nature
    a few Cl`s thats about it but even these are becoming more expensive
    every one seams to be out for as much money as they can make

years ago we could knock on a farmers door and stay in his field for nothing how sad times change for the worst

• Like Like x 1
  2. veevee

veevee Funster

Bl..dy good question

3. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I bought mine so we could have more holidays. We can go where we want and when we want. And all it is a lot better value than a 2 weeks in Spain with Thomas Cook.
    Taking into account depriciation and all other costs 61 nights cost us a little over £5k last year.

• Like Like x 4
  4. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Because my wife told me to.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

for sex drugs drinks and rock and roll:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  6. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

We live in the shitty of London i mean city of London and feel the need to get out and smoke our fags where the air is much fresher:Rofl1:. Having the motorhome seriously has lowered our stress levels and wish we had bought one a long time ago:Doh: we are still very new to this but loving every minute of it:thumb:
    Roll on the summer:Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  7. louwil

louwil Read Only Funster

hope

Just had our first weekend in mh been caravaning & camping for 30 odd years always dreamt of a mh hope to have more freedom and flexabilty to tour :RollEyes

8. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

For a number of reasons we had to make long journeys in the UK , sometimes twice a month. Each time racking up flight costs for 2 , car hire costs , hotel costs for 2 and so on . £s spent were crazy , with no obvious tangible benefits to us ..... So decided to lash out on a MH / take a more leisurely mindset on the travel / transfer the benefits to us rather than lining the pockets of airlines etc .......Has worked a treat , so aint giving it up any time soon .:Smile:Even though the "had to " travel bit is long gone

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

After years under canvas Woman called time on it.. I kep on going to bike does and she was missing out on the parties..

She brow beat me into buying a tin snail.. Hated the bloody thing after ONE weekend but loved the people we met and the feeling of freedom..

Three weeks later we had our first motorhome ( a clapped out A class on an OLD normally aspirated 2.2 Ducato chassis with no power steering..
    5 weeks after that we had our first real motorhome, a lhd 6 berth hobby that took us all over Europe

• Like Like x 5
  10. Gaz

Gaz Read Only Funster

so we can go to mhf meets :Smile: :Smile: :thumb:

11. lorger

lorger Funster

So if the wife kicks me out i dont need to sleep in the garage:Rofl1::Rofl1:

We had a caravan before and really enjoyed and thought hte mh would give us more freedom for single nights and days out as well as summer hols. The reason we like this so much is it gives us time away with Sophie our daughter because when at home its sometimes hard to sit down and play games due to busy lives, nothing better than stopping beside the beach and spending hours looking for shells and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Only a week or two back you posted that you knock on farmers doors now and get a free night stay. Are saying that isn't the case anymore?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

For years we toured around Europe skydiving, our 'motorhome' was a Landrover; sleeping under a green tarp stretched from the bull bar and pegged out. One day Sian got oil from the front diff in her hair, a blond tipped flat top. :BigGrin: Our friends had a motorhome and got to Sian, she refused to sleep under the Landrover again and insisted we got a motorhome. Reluctant, I bought a caravan first, towed it once or twice, then sold it and bought our first motorhome. An Auto-Trail Pullman..

• Like Like x 3
  14. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Came straight to motorhoming without going through the caravan phase first. We towed a trailer behind the bike and camped but then, and I honestly don't remember why, we thought about a motorhome. Bought a new Laika from Lowdham and took to it like a duck to water. Four years later we replaced the Laika with the Frankia. Initially it was to get away from the phone continuously ringing from work but now that I've retired it's just the enjoyment of going away without the rigid structure of a hotel based holiday, you know the routine, up for breakfast, vacate your room for the cleaners, back for the evening meal etc. Boring!
    However, I have one confession to make, we like cruises, despite the Costa Concordia debacle.

15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I recall that too.

I also recall the OP telling a few other people that if they had to watch the pennies then motor homing wasn't for them.

:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Interesting.....We booked our next cruise the night the Costa Concordia foundered. Looking forward to it too. :thumb:

17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

He's plucking up enough courage to tell us he's got it wrong with the RV and wishes he'd bought something small enough to get to the pretty parts of Scotland and Cornwall :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  18. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We bought ours to live in :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  19. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Thought it was compulsory when you retired.:Confused:
    Geoff.

20. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We bought our first one to get away from neighbours we hated and couldn't sell our park home . after buying the mh sold the park home so didn't need to have to buy the mh after all . but enjoyed the lifestyle so much that we ended up fulltiming in it and we are still doing it nearly 4years later

• Like Like x 1