why did you buy your motorhome (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I find holidaying difficult with 4 pets, plus I don't really like holidaying alone. My OH and I bought a motorhome to see Europe but never got to use it.

Last winter, house sitting in Scotland, my neighbour had a little Renault van on his drive (I think you'd call it a day van? cooker/sink/ bed but no loo/shower) i started thinking along the lines of similar and it just grew from there.

Now, I have let out my house in France for a year. It is far too large for me to cope with alone (a warning to anyone else NOT to make a huge decision in the first year of bereavement--I was warned but......)

Dogs, cats and me are going off in Benny the Bennimar to see more of France, a bit of Spain, maybe Portugal and be able to visit family in UK more easily as I see too little of my grandson and daughter.

It's a risk--travelling solo with no mechanical knowledge whatsoever but I never worry about driving my car (older with much higher mileage) to the UK and back. And that's what breakdown cover is for after all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We were caravaners for three years and loved the outdoor lifestyle and freedom that it gave you.

However after a three month trip travelling around France last year and seeing how easy it was to set up and take down we decided to give the motorhome route a go.

Going to Switzerland and Germany in June and Provence in September so we will see how we go, but after our first long weekend it s soooo easy!!!!

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
I bought it from a relative so had a good deal.::bigsmile: i think :Doh:
Hoping to tour Europe with my bike on the back and take my young son to Folly farm this year.:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
So if the wife kicks me out i dont need to sleep in the garage:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We had a caravan before and really enjoyed and thought hte mh would give us more freedom for single nights and days out as well as summer hols. The reason we like this so much is it gives us time away with Sophie our daughter because when at home its sometimes hard to sit down and play games due to busy lives, nothing better than stopping beside the beach and spending hours looking for shells and stuff.

The wife did kick me out !:Doh:
So this is where I live ! Great !!:thumb:
Currently near Malaga and then on to the Marjal meet and Summer in Aquitaine !!:thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Started as a tugger and was happy with the lifestyle for 12 years with no intention of changing, suited us down to the ground. Had hired a couple of motorhomes one to tour Scotland and had liked it but still happy with tugging.

I then changed jobs and the big company cars I had enjoyed stopped, so had to make a decision did I buy a large car for towing only as I still had smaller but adequate company car for normal use, but no good for tugging.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]The cost of insurance made the decision for us, cheaper to insure motorhome only, than larger car and caravan so we changed to a motorhome, that was some 20 years ago and we still enjoy it, but have never completely lost the attraction of caravans [/FONT]

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Travelling holidays up till the purchase were usually done on the Harley,but me and the missus decided we were getting too old for camping,now have the best of both worlds,put the bike on the trailer,and off we go.did 6 weeks in the south of france last summer worked great.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]The cost of insurance made the decision for us, cheaper to insure motorhome only, than larger car and caravan so we changed to a motorhome, that was some 20 years ago and we still enjoy it, but have never completely lost the attraction of caravans [/FONT]

I understand where you are coming from.. .

Only my opinion, but some with motorhomers would be better off with a caravan..

Provided it's not too big a motorhome is great for touring and wilding, one or two night stops and moving on, . Too big, then it needs a toad for sightseeing.. how big is too big? .. well, I'd say anything that can't park in a regular car park space.. but that is subjective.
If planning on touring Spain, a toad and A frame is not advisable.. a trailer is all very well and good, but it's got a lot of drawbacks.. hence the popularity of A frames..

Those who spend a week or more moored to an EHU would be better off with a caravan.. a modern diesel car say like a Passat/Skoda or Vauxhaul will get 40+ MPG .. around 35 tugging. A decent sized second hand caravan + car can be bought for well under £10k..

I had a 20ft Karmann and toured all over Europe with it.. but even it was too big to park easily and once on site too much hassle to go and sightsee.. and it was too small for a family of four .. so I sold it ...

Horses for courses, I've used all sizes of motorhome, caravans and tents .. each is good for a certain purpose, none good for all ... but using a motorhome on a site for several weeks is like putting a racing horse on the beach and using it for pony rides.

What I don't get are those who slag off caravans after being tuggers themselves.. read it all the time.. or the ones who say.. " Hi , I was a tugger, I'm upgrading to a motorhome" .. does that mean we downgrade to a caravan.. or " I have a C class, upgrading to an A class or RV " :RollEyes:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Over forty years ago my people told me that one day everyone who chose to would be able to communicate with and learn from people all over the world by means of things called computers and a thing called the internet.

They also told me that a "Big Man" with "Imagination and Determination and a pile of spare cash" would appear as if by magic and start an Oracle dedicated to things called "motorhomes".

They told me that people joining this "Oracle" would become the Enlightened Ones, see the light and follow Man City into joyous old age.

I thought I better get one of these things straight away so I bought a split screened VW van (£60) and a rotted VW camper van (£10) and took the fittings from the camper and put them into the other van. I used this "motorhome" for a couple of years before selling it for £70 and buying a Transit Wayfarer...

...I did this so years and tears later I could "post" on the "Oracle" how I wish I still had the Splitty and moan about how much it would be worth today...

(My people told me and still tell me it will be, and still is, usual practice to moan a lot on this "Oracle" thingy...) :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Leaveyfreya

Free Member
Sep 20, 2009
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We bought ours to enjoy the freedom and escape from the day to day working and same ol' same ol'.

Took us a long time to finally buy and don't regret a minute of it.

Spend most weekends away (Much more since we bought our new 'home (Wanda)) only staying at home if something needs fixed or tidied etc because we have neglected to do something because we are too busy galavanting:Doh:

Then we make sure to take one long haul holiday (Flying) and one short haul through the year to make sure that all that hard earned is put to good use:thumb:

When we do finally get to retirement, we both look forward to spending some time touring the UK and seing where we end up.

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Thank you for all your input
it has been nice to read all your comments

hope you all keep enjoying your MHs as much as we do ours :thumb::thumb:

yours

Ian F

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Would agree with you Jimscotland, a caravan is great for stays of over a week, especially when you have the car to go out and about. Though as keen cyclists we only used the car 3-4 times when we went to France.

Decided in the end to try the motorhome route as we tended to stay about a week ,or less in one place and i had to say that the amount of set ups and put downs did cause a bit of friction.

Having had two caravans, initially a Bailey Pageant, light and easy to tow with everything we needed. then a Bailey Unicorn, beautifully built with all the bells and whistles, but heavy and therefore a bit more difficult to tow and handle on site (especially when the motormover packed up). We decided to go for a medium sized van with a fixed bed, that is a compromise between moverability and luxury living.

I have found both caravaners and Motorhomers to be the most friendly and helpful people
and have no need for, or found, "one upmanship" but I can imagine it could be around!

Both Caravans and motorhomes have their places, it is just up to everyone to decide their own type of holidays and priorities.

Cheers

bob

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Only a week or two back you posted that you knock on farmers doors now and get a free night stay. Are saying that isn't the case anymore?
farmers are less likely to allow a stopover on their land as we are now a society of sue and be damned if any thing happens

plus most people would not knock on a strangers door and ask the question

we live in a different world than we did 30 years ago

so NO i am not saying it isnt the case any more
it is just less likely to happen

you can do it if you want too
it is hit or miss if you do get to stay or not

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries