LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mr & Mrs Skeptical are not convinced by any of these arguments ... they were last seen heading for Brownhills ... :cry:

You are all fired :ROFLMAO:
Well for what Iv seen at Brownhills,they will certainly find a bargain there and an added bonus of able to join the Brownhills privalage club tent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Sloberdogbob ,
some folk like "Euroboxes" , just like some like RVsheds.
I say sheds , tongue in cheek ,just as I'm sure you say euroboxes:winky:
Because when we were looking to buy last year, the only RVs we saw , were sheds.
Very old , with old fashioned interiors and often Smelly sheds at that.:ROFLMAO:
So it put us off buying one, although we looked .
Even though Rv's had the open plan look we liked , not the train carriage one we kept coming across , in a euro van. We felt like we were making a mistake selling our twin wheeler caravan with all its space . Most euros we saw were cramped, yet all the RV's were either too big , way out of our price range , or old and tatty.

We did like the twin axle ( is that what they are called ?) motorhomes though, which i personally think have the best of both worlds. Size, style and quality.
But we didn't have a big enough budget for one as new as we wanted. We almost gave up on the idea of owning a motorhome completly.

Just because Buttons has a differing opinion doesn't mean he is jealous.

Also some "euroboxes" have hard wood fixtures and fittings , proper cookers hobs with extractorfans , full size showers with bi fold door , big fridge freezers , plenty storage space , fully winterized , diesel heating and open plan lounges etc , ours has .
We easily manage a long weekend without a generator off hook up ,with a proper TV too (and 3 teenagers with all the gadgets they bring) .
Albeit not a massive plasma , but a flat screen 18" which is OK for us.

For our 30k we managed to get a 2006 with 13 k on the clock which does around 25 to the gallon.
It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing , wouldnt it ::bigsmile:
Bev

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
"euroboxes" have hard wood fixtures and fittings , proper cookers hobs with extractorfans , full size showers with bi fold door , big fridge freezers , plenty storage space , fully winterized , diesel heating and open plan lounges etc , ours has .
We easily manage a long weekend without a generator off hook up ,with a proper TV too (and 3 teenagers with all the gadgets they bring) .
Albeit not a massive plasma , but a flat screen 18" which is OK for us.

For our 30k we managed to get a 2006 with 13 k on the clock which does around 25 to the gallon.

Opening pitch by Bev at Brownhills ... Mr & Mrs S. are impressed :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mr & Mrs Skeptical are not convinced by any of these arguments ... they were last seen heading for Brownhills ... :cry:

You are all fired :ROFLMAO:

If they go there not only will they get a white box but when they've paid their money , nobody to warrant it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If they go there not only will they get a white box but when they've paid their money , nobody to warrant it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's an underhand tactic ... :Angry:

Bev from BH will dispute that I'm sure :winky:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mr & Mrs S. are now enjoying a coffee in the BH executive lounge .. ::bigsmile:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Our decision to change to an RV was defintely space and comfort.

Its our intention to change to this RV and just keep it for a fair old time, with the in laws visiting form China every year or so and the plan of starting a family really felt we needed the space, the slide out just does it for us, there is no way we would be comfortable with 4 adults in our Elnagh let alone with children, although we have had some good trips in it and enjoyed it but even for the 2 of us we don't feel like we have enough space.

We were looking at slightly smaller than 32ft but then fell in love with the Minnie Winnie both for layout and price and personally i have always liked the idea of owning a Winnebago.

So in summary the reasons are really Space, Comfort and Indulgence::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Opening pitch by Bev at Brownhills ... Mr & Mrs S. are impressed :thumb:

If you think our Siesta is a shed then you didn't go to SPECSAVERS.
All soft leather upholstery which actually reaches your shoulder blades when you sit down, 32" lcd tv with surround sound cinema and dvd player, modern cherry cabinetry, 5 ft high fridge freezer, corian solid worktops, combination cooker with 3 burner top and extractor fan, double slideout for u shaped sofa and bed, inboard 35 gallon water tank, heated black and grey waste tank with 3" dump valves. Twin 110 amp domestic batteries with inverter , no hook up needed, if so genny at press of button. Queen size walk round bed, all of this and more in a 28 footer. Plus when fully laden with 2 adults, water , fuel and everything else we need, a spare 200kg of payload.
Go on Mr and Mrs Skeptical, you visit Brownhills and Mrs H and I will live and travel in comfort :thumb::thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Jim ,
Im suprise they are still trading with all the bad press they get.
Ihave never been in a Brownhills showroom so couldnt comment either way.
When we come to down size , yes down size our 7 birth ( though i wouldnt like to try) white:winky:eurobox , to a nice Hymer for 2 we certainly wont be going there.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
PS WHO STARTED THIS THREAD :Eeek::Eeek: ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
If you think our Siesta is a shed then you didn't go to SPECSAVERS.
All soft leather upholstery which actually reaches your shoulder blades when you sit down, 32" lcd tv with surround sound cinema and dvd player, modern cherry cabinetry, 5 ft high fridge freezer, corian solid worktops, combination cooker with 3 burner top and extractor fan, double slideout for u shaped sofa and bed, inboard 35 gallon water tank, heated black and grey waste tank with 3" dump valves. Twin 110 amp domestic batteries with inverter , no hook up needed, if so genny at press of button. Queen size walk round bed, all of this and more in a 28 footer. Plus when fully laden with 2 adults, water , fuel and everything else we need, a spare 200kg of payload.
Go on Mr and Mrs Skeptical, you visit Brownhills and Mrs H and I will live and travel in comfort :thumb::thumb:

(Jim did, he wants to buy a little eurobox , im telling him its a good idea:ROFLMAO:)

Oh that sounds lovely , i love the corian worktops seen them in the Hymers, got them at home , but i doubt we would have managed to buy yours with our 30k budget:winky: we can but dream. Or im sure we would.
We have got a 4 ring gas burner , combi oven with extractor fan , 5 foot fridge freezer, heated waste tank , twin 6v Trojan batteries, king size bed , hardwood kitchen though.
So a few on your list na na nn naa
(We'd also struggle with the payload having 3 teenage children and 2 dogs with all that entails:winky:)

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Now Like all things in life (and thank god we are all different) most of us buy what we want and more to the point what we can afford.

When I bougt my house 28 years ago every one told me I was mad taking on a whopping 45k mortgage and what did I want a house that big for well it could be for what it is worth now.

I paid nearly as much for my RV as my house, but as I said previously I bought because we like it and Rosie wouldn't go in a eurobox under any circumstances.

Each to their own.

All the best Rick.

Iva Biggun well bigish

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
(Jim did, he wants to buy a little eurobox , im telling him its a good idea:ROFLMAO:)

Oh that sounds lovely , i love the corian worktops seen them in the Hymers, got them at home , but i doubt we would have managed to buy yours with our 30k budget:winky: we can but dream. Or im sure we would.
We have got a 4 ring gas burner , combi oven with extractor fan , 5 foot fridge freezer, heated waste tank , twin 6v Trojan batteries, king size bed , hardwood kitchen though.
So a few on your list na na nn naa
(We'd also struggle with the payload having 3 teenage children and 2 dogs with all that entails:winky:)

Whatever our preference whether big or small old or new as long as we are happy with it. The important bit is getting on the road and letting someone else cut the grass. Relax :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

perhaps .. but at the moment I'm leaning toward a caravan, not just any old caravan, it would need to be an Eriba. part of the Hymer family :winky:

Our holidays are now determined by the school so having a MH on the drive idle for 39 weeks of the year makes no economic sense.

When we go on holiday we won't tour so much rather spending one or two weeks on a site.. so a caravan + car is more practical.

The cost of running both a car and a motorhome.:thumbdown:

Once Charlotte is independent I would like a PVC or an olde Hymer to go wandering again .. .. but that could be years away .. for the present I am enjoying home life.

It's been a good thread, thanks to all who participated in the full spirit of FUN ..

At the end of the day no one needs to justify what they buy .. but it's always good fun to see the RVers and the Euro boxers battling it out ..

Whatever you own.. enjoy it :thumb: and hang the MPG :winky:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l bought an RV when l retired this year. There was no way l was going to have a F.I.A.T.
l had looked at euroboxes, and didn't think they were value for money, and far too small. l wanted an automatic. The larger euroboxes were far too expensive, and the "add ons" made them ridiculously expensive, and still not enough elbow room.
l now have the luxury l wanted, soft white leather captains seats, comfortable sofa, roomy 4 seat dinette, domestic tv, with auto sat, surround sound, cd/dvd/video, hydraulic levelling, a/c cab and house, slide out giving room to live, 6 berths, decent oven and hob, microwave, ample work surface, good size fridge/freezer, a domestic size separate shower, domestic size toilet and wash basin, walk around king sized bed, 3 wardrobes, on board generator, huge black and grey waste tanks, 75 gallons of fresh water, 5 gallons of hot water on tap, double glazed, awning, safari room, tow bar, vast amounts of cupboard space, external lockers all round, diesel, and automatic!
Plus, l paid less for my 2003 30ft Winnebago than a 2003 Hymer/Merc with 3 times the milage!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
buying our 'Rex' was the end of a long, long dream...

we wanted an RV for a long time and on two occasions in the past have been in a situation where we could afford to buy outright, but always found reasons not to.

high fuel consumption, high insurance premiums, spares and above all...storage.

after three years in the kontiki, while its a lovely van, we decided enough was enough and needed more room.

fed up with making up the bed each night and undoing it again in the morning (the over cabs too small for me), one having to sit down to let the other past and, not for me personally:Blush:, not having enough room in the kitchen area.

so we bit the bullet and bought a 33ft monster with a 12ft slide in the hope it would fit up the drive....which it does, just !, OK i have to reverse 400mtrs up our road to get to the drive but thats better than paying storage :thumb:

we realised, while it only does 10mpg, or 8.4mpg on gas, at best, it isn't an everyday expense so the fuel bill isn't a real issue.

the insurance was a straight vehicle change from the kontiki with NFU and while not cheap i haven't 'shopped' around yet and sure it can be brought into line with the national debt.:roflmto:

spares.....havent needed any yet but.....:RollEyes:

well, that cancels our four main reasons not to buy an RV and we're both so glad we did. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it has been a good set of posts

A good exchange of ideas, most I agree with.

Each month when I get the MMM as ones does I look at the 'whats for sale pages in the classified section' it seems a lot smaller now than it did a few years back. I noticed that MMM have in fact reduced the advertising rates. So it seems less people want to sell there second hand vehicles or just cannot afford the cost of the adverts?

Not sure which.. But what I then do is look at the vehilces being reviewed... and every month I say to Sue look at this.. £49k and the add on's are £6k or whatever for the auto transmission, the bigger eengine, the air bag, the cab air con etc., etc., The Euro box motor home is more like a kit car. You have to pay for everything extra that an American RV has as standard. And as Rick said in his post that he paid about the same as he did for his house many years back but Rick did get all the add on's included even in the second hand RV... We never look at the add on's as they are part of owning an RV.

I will never have the money to buy a new one.. how I wish. But as and when we do sell the Winnibago Aspect it will be another second hand low mileage dream that is loaded to the hilt as standard.

Sorry until the day Euro box wakes up to providing value then they will never change a lot of our minds.

I was reading on this forum of a chap with water issues on a Rollerteam vehicle. In the latest MMM there they are fitting new types of roofs and back ends in one using GRP - again Roller team... how long have we had that on RV's from the USA? my Winnibago is all GRP.. including the roof on a frame of metal .. not wood that can rot.. the euroboxes are so far behind and such poor quality and OVERPRICED.

Bob:Eeek:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
A good exchange of ideas, most I agree with.

Each month when I get the MMM as ones does I look at the 'whats for sale pages in the classified section' it seems a lot smaller now than it did a few years back. I noticed that MMM have in fact reduced the advertising rates. So it seems less people want to sell there second hand vehicles or just cannot afford the cost of the adverts?

Not sure which.. But what I then do is look at the vehilces being reviewed... and every month I say to Sue look at this.. £49k and the add on's are £6k or whatever for the auto transmission, the bigger eengine, the air bag, the cab air con etc., etc., The Euro box motor home is more like a kit car. You have to pay for everything extra that an American RV has as standard. And as Rick said in his post that he paid about the same as he did for his house many years back but Rick did get all the add on's included even in the second hand RV... We never look at the add on's as they are part of owning an RV.

I will never have the money to buy a new one.. how I wish. But as and when we do sell the Winnibago Aspect it will be another second hand low mileage dream that is loaded to the hilt as standard.

Sorry until the day Euro box wakes up to providing value then they will never change a lot of our minds.

I was reading on this forum of a chap with water issues on a Rollerteam vehicle. In the latest MMM there they are fitting new types of roofs and back ends in one using GRP - again Roller team... how long have we had that on RV's from the USA? my Winnibago is all GRP.. including the roof on a frame of metal .. not wood that can rot.. the euroboxes are so far behind and such poor quality and OVERPRICED.

Another way to look at it though is the Yanks DO want everything as standard where as Europeans can choose whether they want everything or not and pay according to what's needed?

Don't get me wrong, don't want to get 'flammed' again for being misunderstood, I DO want everything so like you it's Yanks all the way, well sort of, and certainly when it comes to longer trips I don't think you can beat them but as has been said it really does depend on the individual, what they like and crutially how they want to use a MH, lets face it a 40' quad slide is no good if your constantly on the move and wilding it up the back end of beyond:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree fully

Another way to look at it though is the Yanks DO want everything as standard where as Europeans can choose whether they want everything or not and pay according to what's needed?

Don't get me wrong, don't want to get 'flammed' again for being misunderstood, I DO want everything so like you it's Yanks all the way, well sort of, and certainly when it comes to longer trips I don't think you can beat them but as has been said it really does depend on the individual, what they like and crutially how they want to use a MH, lets face it a 40' quad slide is no good if your constantly on the move and wilding it up the back end of beyond:Eeek:

As you say Simon... it is a bit of horses for courses.. I would love a 40' with quad slides... I would also like a) the money to buy it and b) to run it .. but also more importantly to use it.. that is where the main issue is... the use of such a big vehicle. Great for the open roads of the USA, nothing can beat it. Plus the American campsites know how to provide for the big rigs with drive through pitches and all the hook ups.

Hence when it came down to it I expect you went for the 28' as I went for the 24' size allows us to get in to most places without to many problems.. but even with our size we have most of the goodies.. OK we do not have the dishwasher or the washing machine that the 40' have... we have less slide outs... but we still have a lot lot more than most euro boxes and we certainly did not pay the silly money even the second hand ones are advertied and sold for. Just look around at the shows and see the prices of even a van conversion... the mind boggles:Eeek:..

But I take you point Simon... we wanted the bangs and whistles and comfort that a yank gives and the power. Our choice and for me that is the right choice.. not for everyone I know. But whenever anyone gets on our RV they always remark about how big it is in side (Slide out).. wow factor.. plus all the toys and goodies.

I love my winnibago as much as you do yours... there has to be a reason for that... perhaps it is value .. not in costs but what it gives you generally and in the mind. A mind set thing. plus I do not have to empty an elsan every day:Blush:

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
my Winnibago is all GRP.. including the roof on a frame of metal .. not wood that can rot.. the euroboxes are so far behind and such poor quality and OVERPRICED.

I am not going to knock all USRVs , but not all are built like this, the vast majority are wooden frame, wooden roof with rubber membrane.. Fiberglass roofs are far better but there is a big weight and cost penalty.

Entry model RVs are built to price and build quality often leaves a lot to be desired. Look under the skin, inside lockers and below beach seats, wood-chip abounds , rough cheap timber held together by staples.. Wiring is often untidy, unprotected and just thrown in.. gas and water lines left dangling in mid air .. Read the US forums .. !

You simply cannot generalize, there are many European vans that are built to a very high spec. as some USRVs .. to get top quality whether yank or euro .. you pay .

My last Euro van was a Karmann on an VW LT 35 chassis, ( re-badged Merc Sprinter ) you may be unfamiliar with this marque, they have full fibre glass bodies, cabinet work that is screwed and glued, no chipboard or MDF ..

It didn't shout out.. or get ohhs and ahhs from passers-by it simply oozed quality, the way most German products do .. it was simply fit for purpose.. I reluctantly sold it when we went full time and bought the RV.

Bear in mind license restrictions.. grand father rights license holders are dying off, ... and the demand for RVs will drop as fuel prices rise.. the future isn't gas guzzling 7.5 ton RVs ..

However, there will always be the aficionados and enthusiasts who will have one at any cost, they are truly amazing machines, the last work in comfort, ideal for full timing and for entertaining .. but they can be a huge money pit that many find they can't afford and it ends up sitting in storage rotting away.

If you can afford to run and maintain an RV, accept that it won't fit every site , can't go exploring down unknown B roads and lanes , have to plan every journey then you will be very happy ..

Conversely , if you like to go exploring off the beaten track, never have a plan, going where your nose points and getting better than 20 mpg then a Euro van or PVC is the one to choose.

There is no one size fits all .. all is compromise, it's finding the compromise you can live with that will make you truly happy .. whether 40ft RV or 15ft PVC . it's YOUR choice.. but make it wisely and do not get carried away by the hype.

What seemed a great idea at an RV show can very soon become a millstone when you can't afford to maintain, repair and run. Buy an RV but make sure you have deep pockets .. very deep pockets.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Buy an RV but make sure you have deep pockets .. very deep pockets.

You've said that before somewhere:ROFLMAO: So far, and I know this is fatal but we haven't found RVs expesive to run, yes OK we get carried away with goodies and toys but that happens with all sorts and not just MHs:thumb:

Parts seem an a par sometime cheaper sometimes dearer with Euro from what I can see and availability isn't an issue, or old Dodge needed a ball joint for an MOT and we had one in two days, and at the time she was 31 years old and the part was in this country despite the fact the ours was the heavy duty chassis and not so many around.

Winne's a different kettle of fish as being Chevy most of what we're likely to need is in the UK anyway.

I do appreceate the I'm going to need to sit down next year when we go for 6 new tyres, deffinatley not looking forward to that but otherwise pretty cheap beasties so far, though a caveat here is I do all or most of my own work so I don't have labour costs as a rule.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I hear what scotjim says

You've said that before somewhere:ROFLMAO: So far, and I know this is fatal but we haven't found RVs expesive to run, yes OK we get carried away with goodies and toys but that happens with all sorts and not just MHs:thumb:

Parts seem an a par sometime cheaper sometimes dearer with Euro from what I can see and availability isn't an issue, or old Dodge needed a ball joint for an MOT and we had one in two days, and at the time she was 31 years old and the part was in this country despite the fact the ours was the heavy duty chassis and not so many around.

Winne's a different kettle of fish as being Chevy most of what we're likely to need is in the UK anyway.

I do appreceate the I'm going to need to sit down next year when we go for 6 new tyres, deffinatley not looking forward to that but otherwise pretty cheap beasties so far, though a caveat here is I do all or most of my own work so I don't have labour costs as a rule.

I hear what you say Scotjim, and I agree to a lot of the issues... not one size fits all. I looked at some real dogs when we spent 18 months getting our Winnibago. A lot were made to a price... cheap and nasty.. but to be honest that applies also to the eurobox as well.

I paid £7.50 each less discount for wiper blades for my Winninbago at Lincoln.. Halford charge £40 for a VW golf .. so often an RV is cheaper than a car let alone a euro box.

As Simon (Dodgey) says parts are not a problem. I needed a new track bar for my last MOT .. in the UK already for a Ford E350 chassis and if the parts are not I can normally get them in a few days.. good if not better than most euroboxes for parts.

OK I have the solid fibre glass roof and body... but the cupboards are MDF so I accept that it is not a Monaco or a Wonderlodge or Beaver, and it does not have Corrigan work tops.. but they are the available to the bigger fish in our small pond. But the overall finish and equipment and it is the equipment Jim I am talking about is normally any standard on a USRV. Take the fridge and freezer.. I bet Simon has a large one like I do... his van is 30 years old... come on you do not get that even on the latest eurobox... how many of them still have vents in the roof and no air con? the vast number I would say. Or what of the chassis built in genny? how many stand alone generators do you see chained to vans at shows? Emptying the elsan????:Blush: hunting about with a 2ltr bottle looking for water on arrival? that is not me.. and with a yank I do not have to do that.

It is as I have said horses for courses. We have these yanks because we like them and the life style. Accepting your arguments on grandad licences, they will be in the future a lot less people wanting the larger RV's but if everyone is under 3,500 kgs it is not going to be a very exciting world. For me I am lucky I still have the rights to drive an RV and as Rick said in one of his posts about the HGV and he will drive it while he can.. that is the spirt that makes us the RV driver different. We have taken that step in to the other world...and for me it is a whole lot better than a caravan or a eurobox.. having had both I can speak from the experiance.

We all have our own reasons for owning one or wanting one.. perhaps no one will find the answer .. but that in it's self is good. So many views and opinions make this forum work... as long as there is no bun fights then it is good to express your feelings for or against an RV. We that own them of course will fight the corner, that is to be expected. We have issues, yes, but on the whole the RV is better for us. Like Simon we all dread buying 6 new tires.. again i have to face this bill next year I suspect not form wear but age of the tire...another £1200 I expect. New batteries this month £200 but in the end that is what we worked for, to spend our money as we wish.. for us it is on our RV.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I had conversation with an American couple at Heathrow last week, they were motor homers and the very proud owners of a Winnebago with a

Mercedes 3ltre auto on the front. (Now that sounds like an acceptable combination for a mini wini.:coolthumb:) They were raving about the mpg they had achieved between the west coast along route 66 to Chicago .::bigsmile:riving2:
Once the yanks start thinking about their mpg then it will be a matter of time before we see the demise of the large gin palaces you drive.:tears:

Why not except it you are the proud owners of a dinosaur and we all know what happened to them. They were replaced by something more economical. :helptitanic:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I had conversation with an American couple at Heathrow last week, they were motor homers and the very proud owners of a Winnebago with a

Mercedes 3ltre auto on the front. (Now that sounds like an acceptable combination for a mini wini.:coolthumb:) They were raving about the mpg they had achieved between the west coast along route 66 to Chicago .::bigsmile:riving2:
Once the yanks start thinking about their mpg then it will be a matter of time before we see the demise of the large gin palaces you drive.:tears:

Why not except it you are the proud owners of a dinosaur and we all know what happened to them. They were replaced by something more economical. :helptitanic:

No chance:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A few less of the big 'uns but the yanks like them BIG:thumb:

That said the little ones on the Merc chassis do look good, Link Removed

...still 23' though:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No chance:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A few less of the big 'uns but the yanks like them BIG:thumb:

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), maker of big business mainframe computers, arguing against the PC, 1977

"...so many centuries after the Creation it is unlikely that anyone could find hitherto unknown lands of any value."

-- Committee advising King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain regarding a proposal by Christopher Columbus, 1486

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), maker of big business mainframe computers, arguing against the PC, 1977

"...so many centuries after the Creation it is unlikely that anyone could find hitherto unknown lands of any value."

-- Committee advising King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain regarding a proposal by Christopher Columbus, 1486

Fair point, though some Euro makes are getting bigger too so who knows, that said our Winne's a tiddler by Yank standards, as is Bob's and a fair few others, so maybe common sence is creeping in as there do seem to be more choice in smaller RVs these days.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fair point, though some Euro makes are getting bigger too so who knows, that said our Winne's a tiddler by Yank standards, as is Bob's and a fair few others, so maybe common sence is creeping in as there do seem to be more choice in smaller RVs these days.:thumb:

Indeed.. the trend is definitely toward smaller and more economical RVs .. and while there are some big Euro vans, the 3.5t GVW driving license limit in much of Europe means they have a limited market.

I also see a trend toward size limit on sites.. many now have a 28ft max. rule.

The big uns will always have a commercial market .. pop stars , bands on the road, race team etc .. but they can afford a chauffeur... and have very very deep pockets :roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
23'9" is small but with power to spare

Indeed.. the trend is definitely toward smaller and more economical RVs .. and while there are some big Euro vans, the 3.5t GVW driving license limit in much of Europe means they have a limited market.

I also see a trend toward size limit on sites.. many now have a 28ft max. rule.

The big uns will always have a commercial market .. pop stars , bands on the road, race team etc .. but they can afford a chauffeur... and have very very deep pockets :roflmto:

Yes Dodgey is right we are both tiddlers compared to say Ricks Vacation Rambler.. mine at 23'9" is I suspect near the bottom end of size by Winnebago.. we run on the E350 chassis (Ambulances are often based on this chassis in the USA) but we still have the 6.8 V10 Triton and we crusie all day at 1800 rpm doing 55 mph.. now when you consider a lot of the bigger RV's are runnin g on this engine we have bags of power to spare and it pulls up and down the mountains with our trailer with no problems .. even over took a Belgium camper on the way up in April.. not many European Boxes can do that.

Plus I can get on to any site an euro box can... still a bit wide and high, but very acceptible and of course it is a real winnibago unlike the ones on Merc sprinter chassis or VW like the Realto.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back