Why did you buy a USRV ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think there is definately a place for RVs which widens the choice for travellers whether full or part time. The odd generalisation could deter the potential RV purchaser, but don't be put off. " Many sites have a 28 ft limit ", perhaps a few do where access may be a problem but we never had a problem with our last RV at 32 ft either in the UK or in France and Belgium. There are probably more long eurovans now with several at 25 ft plus with tag axles and many over the 3.5 ton gvw
A 3 litre Merc sounds good but would probably puff a bit pulling a 7.5 ton RV. There is a greater choice of more modest size RVs , ours at 28 ft long 94" wide and 11 ft high will go almost anywhere we want to , if we need a town centre we use the bikes or the toad, every motor home has its limitations inside and out, if it will fit in a standard size car park bay, then it has very limited living space, if it needs two bays then you probably have room to stretch your legs inside.
As far as cost is concerned, it depends whether you would normally holiday in a 2 star or 5 star hotel, the more you pay the more you get and to some degree this is the case with a motorhome/RV .

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Talking of length limit, I've never seen one as such and most sites we've been on could easily accomodate 32-34ft frankley, well on some of the pitches. The only issue we've had so far with length was a site with one pitch left and it just happened to be thier smallest, funnily enough, and we wouldn't get on, I googled it, chap wasn't kidding:Eeek:

Had one C&CC bod say to big but then pointed out we'd been on site a number of times before so we weren't, she was just quoting from thier web site which says 26ft for all pitches, though a 26ft caravan needs about 28' with it's A frame:ROFLMAO: I digress, just makes me :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think there is definately a place for RVs which widens the choice for travellers whether full or part time. The odd generalisation could deter the potential RV purchaser, but don't be put off. .

Absolutely .. couldn't agree more..

The purpose of this thread was to make an honest comparison, not to generalize, to explore the pros and cons, to be truthful about costs, the problems and benefits of RV ownership. In that respect it has been a good thread.

If I were in the market for another RV it would definitely be under 28ft .. We toured extensively with a 36footer + trailer and while we never had a problem finding a pitch it would be a whole lot easier with a smaller one..

That said it was an experience I will never forget nor regret .. George served us well for four years, three on the road, he did what was expected and anything smaller would have been impractical for a family of four living full time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back