Why Are Vans So Expensive In The Uk? (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That made me laugh :)

Why do most of us English have an obsession with an oven in a MH? In over 25 years of camping I've never had a roast dinner. How do our continental cousins manage to survive?

Me to:LOL: never mind the heavy old wood frame vans with lamentable payloads eh?

Better stop this or thread might get western......:D

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
they cook out side . we make bread do loads of cooking in the oven . mind we are away 6 months at a time. cooking outside is great for campsites . we dont use them so cooking inside helps us getr left alone by the guardia in spain . but dont worry they use all sorts of after market ovens as well.
in many of our trips we are so far away from villages etc without baking bread there wouldnt be any.

I understand they cook outside. What's stopping us English? I've always cooked outside and the weather gets a lot worse in Germany outside of summer seasons than it does here.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes but lots of us dont want to.
its all about personal choice .
mind if wilding its a no ,no.
the germans were making a right untidy mess this last winter in spain . cooking in the roads or on pavements . no wonder the locals get annoyed .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Me to:LOL: never mind the heavy old wood frame vans with lamentable payloads eh?

Better stop this or thread might get western......:D
well i can say mine has an ally frame ally floor ally chassis . only bit of steel is what the axles fixes to. works fine . has a payload of 3 ton if i want .
think it may have had a hard life before i got it . but then it was made in uk in 1987. converted in 2000 and hasnt had an easy life since.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
yes but lots of us dont want to.
its all about personal choice .
mind if wilding its a no ,no.
the germans were making a right untidy mess this last winter in spain . cooking in the roads or on pavements . no wonder the locals get annoyed .
I'd get annoyed if you cooked on the pavement on my road! Streets are not to be used for camping especially residential ones!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i dont cook on the pavements or roads .
i would like to say if you go back to my first post on this thread i did say some have crap kitchens , some dont you make a choice .
i still stand by my opinion that hymers are over priced and not that fantastic .
but thats my opinion . your opinions are valid as well.
other conversions in their group are much better fitted out .
i always fancied a clou trend but never got one
made a different choice and built my own .
yes its a caravan .

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I understand they cook outside. What's stopping us English? I've always cooked outside and the weather gets a lot worse in Germany outside of summer seasons than it does here.
Simple It is because it it is difficult enough trying to park up off a site without having to go and stand in the rain to cook, and without the public noticing, calling the council, Police, Dog catcher, bomb squad and anyone else they think to deal with the threats.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry. :(
I wasn't trying to trivialise your OP; you are making a good point and you've started an interesting and useful discussion.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Hi, I have a left hand drive m/home by choice.It means that I can drive down small "B" roads driving tight to the curb, and not worry about scrapping against stone walls, hedgrows, etc. I learnt this from The Italian truck drivers who drive the mountain routes. The all had right hand drive trucks for the same reason.
If you have a good set of mirrors, there is no problem in overtaking.
If and when I want another M/home, It will definatly be LHD.
Kelso.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is the only thing that worries me about LHD is that I once had a Citroen Dyane left hooker and it was awful to try and overtake with, as those damned cyclists kept pushing me into the oncoming traffic. Did not need to overtake anything else,,12bhp.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went to the Kent show at Detling and there I cornered one of the Salesmen and asked directly why are they dearer when the Euro is cheap. He stated that the Price is set by Chausson and they just get the standard discount. So it might be the Factory setting the price OR he might be telling me Porkies. I think I might just ASK THE FACTORY what the position actually is.
Whilst at the Detling Show I went around covering my name badge so that other funsters didn't jump on me for being the stirring git on the forum.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It is the only thing that worries me about LHD is that I once had a Citroen Dyane left hooker and it was awful to try and overtake with, as those damned cyclists kept pushing me into the oncoming traffic. Did not need to overtake anything else,,12bhp.

Worry not..:) A van is so much higher. have been driving LHD for over 25 years

Someones telling you Porkies! I have seen some price lists and they are the same through out the EU with a less then 2000€ supplement for RHD:rolleyes:

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Did this importing a Goldwing trike from America, a 1500 trike sells for £15000 !! I bought mine for $12000 plus £625 shipping add import tax and V.A.T. Grand total of £8750 !!
Only other expense was to take it to V.O.S.A and get an M.O.T. plus £165 Total legal in the country £8899 a saving of £6000.
Did make numerous calls to USA to ask loads of questions but buying unseen is a risk.
Do think next time we change we will check out all the options. I HATE being ripped off !!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive had a good look at buying a mh from Europe and im off to Dusseldorf in AUG/Sept to buy one , just trying to figure out if its cheaper to have it supplied via a dealer in either Germany or Belgium , hot favourite is a Rapido.
Im fortunate enough that the missus transfers a number of currencys on a regular basis so payment should not be an issue , we are also thinking of buying our e-bikes whilst we pick up the MH.
At the moment im intent on buying a LH drive as we intend to do a lot of exploring on the continent.
I bought a motorbike many years ago and its uk price was £5,600 , buying it from a dealer in Holland it cost me £3800 ??

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
RHD creates a major cost issue which the UK dealers have to build in (hidden), so you say you want LHD and they do not know how to deal with the reduction as the uplift was so covert.
Also they trade on fear, of the unknown, inexperienced, and the threat of no UK warranty on a "grey" import. If you are some one who finds these issues in your DNA then pay more and buy in the UK. Same applies to US imports I regularly imported spares for my RV and got them 33% less than UK "dealers".

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are dealer prices on Mobile.de likely to be negotiable, or are they fixed?

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I negotiated for mine.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Just over 10%. In all honesty I was up front about me wanting to do a deal soon and was serious. I was then quoted a price which I accepted and paid a deposit. It transpired that they 'had made a mistake' in quoting me that price and the discount should have been 5%. In fairness to them they honoured their original quote.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Yes. I felt very lucky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.